Graybeard Outdoors banner

I can't decide, please offer advice

6K views 54 replies 22 participants last post by  BillyJack 
#1 ·
Here is the scoop, I have a dedicated .30-06 deer rifle which is my definite go to for big game hunting every fall. I want to downgrade in caliber with lower recoil and better accuracy for both targets, mid-range (no more than 150 yards) hog hunting and back up deer rifle. I use my Ithaca slug gun for short range shots.

I have been thinking about this for a while and I am stuck between a .243 and a .25-06 and have been looking at Ruger, Savage and Remingtons. My question is, which caliber of these two would you choose and why? I know the .243 is easier to find ammo for but that is really the only negative I can think of of the .25-06.

Please give me your thoughts and advice.

Thank you.

Side note - I would love a Ruger Hawkeye but they don't make the rifle in either of these calibers which I find odd.

#2 · (Edited)
It's tough to beat the all around capabilities of the venerable 30/06, but it's always nice to add another rifle in a different, but capable chambering. I've owned a couple rifles in both .243 & 25/06, but I've only got a single rifle now in .257 Roberts. I think that the both the cartridges you mention have proven capabilities, but as someone who also hunts deer and hogs every year, I'd suggest looking at a 7/08. I think the bit more available projectile weight could be useful on a very big boar or a quartering shot on a big buck, above the lighter 6mm & .25 cal bullets.

I'm a big fan of Ruger rifles and own several now. I definitely prefer Ruger over Savage, just my personal preference after owning both. I think that a Remington Model Seven in 7/08 would be a great choice. I'd also recommend looking at a Winchester M70 in 7/08. I owned a M70 Featherweight Classic in 7/08 and it was a jem.

The 7/08 is available in the Ruger American line and in the Hawkeye laminate compact.

#3 ·
Perhaps you might consider a 6.5 or 7mm for heavier bullet weight if you're going to shoot hogs.

Unless you handload the 25-06 will kick more in a rifle of the same weight as a .243.

Agree with 336er re the 7mm-08. Shooting 120 or 140 gr Barnes TTSX.

If you are concerned about availability then consider .308.

#5 ·
.308 Winchester...

however, if you are a handloader I'm sure you're aware of the versatility of the '06 you already have; it can be loaded up, or down, to meet almost every need.

good luck with your decision...

#7 ·
I too would go for the 7mm08 almost a twin of the 7x57 and we all know the history of that round.

Deaconllb

#9 ·
Great info guys, keep it coming. Never thought of the -08 before but that definitely could work.

I am not too familiar with that round, what is it closest too that is not metric, such as a .270 etc?

#11 ·
We will have you so confused before long you will have to get them all, how about a 7x30 waters it is a little lighter than the 08 0r 7x57 and a great deer round

Deaconllb

#14 ·
Are you a handloader, Specklebelly? If not, you might have more ammo choices with something other than the 25'06. .308 Win. is always a winner, and 6.5 creedmoor would be a good choice with plenty of ammo and rifle choices out there right now for that cartridge.

#15 · (Edited)
both will kill deer. My take on it would be this. If you are looking for a compact light rifle that will be used mostly up close and a 250 yard shot is a LONG shot then a 243 will work just fine. If you don't mind a full sized gun with a 24 inch barrel and your deer shooting starts at 200 yards then the 2506 will hands down beat a 243. Yup theres many other choices. But if your not a handloader those two are hard to beat. Ya you could go with a 308 but then why not just use your 06. I love the 257 wby but it will tear up deer under 200 yards and recoil isn't any less then an o6. 708? Might as well go back to the 308. Again at least you can go to Walmart and buy a box of ammo. Never have owned a 243 myself. I do have a 6mm rem though which is about its twin brother. Killed lots of deer with that rifle. When I started buying rifles for my 4 grandsons and one granddaughter I wanted rifles that didn't kick like a mule and were easy for them to find ammo for if they didn't take up reloading. Around here in normal deer season a 100 yard shot is a long one. So I bought all 5 of them cheap entry level bolt 243s.

#16 ·
Never owned a 25-06 but have killed a number of deer with both the .243 and .308. Both are easy on the shoulder and more factory ammo options than the 25-06 by far. I never tried to push the .243 past 200 yards but I know people who have cleanly dispatched deer at longer distances with the round. My .243 and my .308 really liked Winchester Power Point ammo and while it is not considered to be premium ammo by any standards it has put venison in my freezer and I didnt spend a lot of time tracking deer.

Good luck with whatever choice you make!

CR

#18 ·
All great info and something to consider, I will make the call next week before I lose the wife's permission to buy a gun. Don't want to let her forget that deal by waiting too long.

As for gun, I was thinking about going with a Savage Storm or stay with a Remington 700. I would really like a Ruger Hawkeye but they don't make them in very many calibers.

#20 ·
This is a little off topic in one way but what is the difference in the mod. 7 Remington and the 700 Remington and do they also have the trigger problem.
Now back on topic if you are thinking of going with the 7mm08 might I suggest the Savage 110/116 Trophy hunter it is stainless has the best trigger in the world in my opinion as I did own one and is clip fed so you can carry extra ammo ready to go. and are around $ 600 out the door at least that is what I payed and it also came with a factory mounted 3x9x40 scope and rings. I think the scope was a Nikon although there was no name on it.

Deaconllb

#24 ·
Go to the web site click on models go to Trophy hunter go all the way down to the last one it says 16 trophy hunter over on the far left col. is the calibers 7mm08 is the last one I never could figure it out they are listed on the box as 111/116 or 110/16 may have to do with long or short action any way that is the one they sure have increased in price. At the time Walmart had them listed for 725.00 plus tax but I got mine through a local dealer for $600 out the door Buds guns has it listed for 599.00 with free shipping
https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/78611/savage+16+th+xp+7mm-08+nikon

Deaconllb

#26 · (Edited)
The M7 is a nice handling, well made rifle. New models have good safe triggers. It's a push feed bolt and non-detachable floor plate magazine which I prefer for a hunting rifle. Walnut stocks are still available which is a plus in my book.

If however you are interested in a more refined version of a Ruger Hawkeye you should consider a Kimber Hunter 84M. Superlight at 5.5 lbs. Kevlar/Carbon stocks. Controlled round feed claw extractor. Factory 3.5 to 4 lb trigger. Just a better built Ruger. Cost about the same. Available in long or short action. Accuracy guaranteed less than 1" at 100 yards.

That's what's on my wish list.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/719011906

https://www.kimberamerica.com/hunter

#27 ·
I'm going to throw the 7-08 in this discussion because it there is a lot of followers here... IMO I would eliminate the 243 from discussion. Accuracy wise 25-06 is hard to beat from the calibers discussed, but I would push you to the 7-08. We have 2 in the house that both my boys hunt with and that my friend is a deer killing caliber. The 6.5 Creedmoor would be my first choice, again due to accuracy and efficiency. Get a 700 and put a Timney 512 in it and you will love that rifle...

#29 ·
Pretty much that. Longer cartridge requires a long action, 30-06 is the cartridge of the long action, so since 25-06 is based off the 06 it is long action as well. The 308 was created from shortening a 30-06 case and is how the short action was born. The 243, 7-08 and even the 6.5 Creedmoor are based off the 308.

Basically just a shorter bolt throw and most prefer short action if they are willing to forgo the extra power a long action will give, you are obviously in the category. The differences are minimal, but the short action's advantages; The rifle is lighter, faster reload and possibly more accurate due to the stiffer action. I also think it's a smoother motion due to the shorter stroke, but I have several long actions and never even think about it...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.