Getting back to my Ruger with chamber problems - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 02:41 AM Thread Starter

The brass clearly has a inward ridge one side of the case. It's like the reamer skipped when the chamber was being cut. I should be able to post pix of the chamber in a couple days.

I'm a bit concerned about sideways wobble and making the chamber out of round. I like to fix things myself if I can. If I knew of a qualified gunsmith in my area I would likely have already dropped it off for repair. With the hassle of shipping it somewhere to get fixed, I really should take a stab at it....

Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

Here are the pix I promised. The pix from my endoscope didn't meet up with my hopes for this tool, I was able to still get one that sort of shows the problem. Since the cases have been sitting around for awhile, the tarnished and that helped get a pic of that too but it's still not great.

The problem on the case appears as a line about .030" back from the shoulder. The pic of the chamber was the best of a dozen or so I took and I circled the area where the problem is...

http://www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com...s/K-H_case.JPG

http://www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com...mberprob_1.jpg

I tried to get the pix to show in the message but I was having problems with that so I'm posting links to them...

Tony
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 11:57 AM

Tony - if you still think you want to cast the chamber, Rotometals makes a lower cost alternative to Cerrosafe. About half the price - works just he same. I have used it before and it is easy to use and works just fine. https://www.rotometals.com/chamber-casting-alloy-ingot/

Dan

Dan - Handi's - 157 22 Hornet Mannlicher Stock, 157 30-30 Mannlicher stock, 45LC Buffalo Classic Carbine with 22K-Hornet and .357 Max Talo barrels, 45-70 Buffalo Classic, 204 Ruger Ultra with Fluted Barrel, 223, 12 Gauge Topper Deluxe Classic, 20 gauge TDC, 20 Gauge Topper Junior Classic, Pardner .410 Youth, 17HMR Sportster, .357 Mag Handi...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 04:16 AM Thread Starter

Thanx for the link. I'll probably get a pound of that for future use but I've decided to send the rifle to Oregunsmthing. I's probably going to cost me around 200 bucks with round trip shipping but it will finally be the rifle I paid for in the first place...
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Well I heard back about my rifle today and he said the chamber is so screwed up that the only fix is a new barrel. The problem is no one seems to make a barrel for this rifle and he told me it was going to cost $400 to $600 to replace it with the brand of barrel he normally used.

It's looking like I really got screwed on this rifle...

Tony
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 03:03 PM

Must be REALLY bad if a little barrel setback and rechamber would not clean it up.

By the looks of the brass and chamber photos I would have bet using the finish reamer by hand would have done the trick. Especially if you thought that it was shooting so good in its current condition.

Still living under the curse, but one of these days I will shed this body, be clothed with an immortal one, and everything will be good.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Wayne York at Oregunsmthing has a good reputation and right now I have to take his word for it. He said he'll write of the 2 hours he is into it if I replace the barrel. Right now I'll either have to come up with a barrel or write off the rifle.

So far PacNor is the only place that lists a barrel for this rifle. I eMailed them and asked if their K-Hornet chambers has the 35 or 40 degree shoulder but I've not yet heard back. I'm not thrilled about a $430 barrel and another hundred or so to install it...

Tony
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 08:25 PM

Have you thought about sending it to Ruger to have it rebarreled?

In their parts and service section on their website I noticed they only charge $30.00 or $35.00 labor to rebarrel a M77. I'd think it would be worth a call to see what they could do for you.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 02:43 AM Thread Starter

I eMailed the Ruger parts department yesterday but I have not heard back from them. The gunsmith has 2 hours into it right now setting the barrel back and recutting the chamber. He said he'd write that off if I have him install a new barrel. His suggestion was to look for a used take off barrel but so far there are none to be found...

I figured some of these would have had theirs rebarreled to 17 Hornady Hornet but apparently not...

Tony
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 04:29 PM
MR

Not to put anyone down, Id get a 2nd opinion. To bad youre not close Id fix it for free labor.
mr

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page