The Gift .22 . . . . . With issues. - Page 4 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 11:55 PM

So, i've just read this entire thread.
Some of the pics no longer work, many do not show me what i'd really like to see.
Not sure how much I can help over the Internet, I personally diagnose such things by watching them happen, so it's just hard to get that online. Ive worked on a few of those over the years. From your descriptions, and some of the pics, it's fairly easy to say that someone(s?) have been at it, and maybe without a good understanding of how it works.
The feeding, without seeing it in process, not sure what to say.
The firing pin hits are kind of all over the place, in location and depth. The bulged case head mentioned in your last post, if meaning excessive headspace, could easily cause misfires and extraction problems, as the room for error on rimfires tends to be so small. As I recall, the long nose of the bolt goes up into what is essentially the barrel extension, which is one piece with the barrel. Unless modified, it just isnt likely to change. Maybe something is preventing the bolt from fully seating.
As for feeding, one little tweak, or bending, of the feedlips area will wreak havoc that can be hard to rectify if one hasn't spent a fair amount of time with those.

A chamber burr from dry firing will cause both misfires and feeding/extraction issues. It will leave telltale mark along the side of cartridges and fired cases.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 12:10 AM

A word on "chamber ironing".
I wanted this to be seperate.

As many know, rimfires, particularly older ones, will get a burr on the edge of the chamber, which has been beaten there by the firing pin from dry firing.
The metal is not gone, it has been pushed from the breechface into the very leading edge of the chamber.
If the burr is simply removed, by either cutting or filing it away, the low spot in the breechface will remain. This will often cause misfires, as the brass from the shell casing is swaged into the groove, instead of being crushed between the breechface and the impacting firing pin.
Therefore, using files, a drill, a reamer, or a tool that is grooved and rotated in the chamber is not advised.
The metal needs to be pushed back outward, to refill the groove in the breechface. This would necessitate pushing the metal from the chamber opening outward, which is much less likely to happen with rotation. Further, a strictly tapered punch will push out the metal right at the edge will still leave a smaller burred section just inside the chamber opening.
The tool mentioned above that was previously available had a leading tapered section so that it could be started, and then a short straight section that was chamber diameter, with a step to bottom out on the breechface.
Once driven into the chamber until it stopped, the burr would be pushed outward into the groove in the breechface, nearly or fully filling it back in, and the step hitting the breechface ensuring that there was no raised metal on the Chambers edge.

Yes, one can be made with a lathe, my personal one I made myself. It should be made of a hard steel, not mild steel, so it is harder than the barrel.
post #33 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 03:40 AM Thread Starter

9-11-2019
Well I have done all I can do to the bolt and the trigger group.
My best guess was the original firing pin was bent wierd was what chopped up the chamber seat.
I did manage to use a long thin taper punch to work down the offending burr that was catching the fired cases.
So I'm thinking the best way to close up some the head space is to stone off a thousandth or so of the back end of the barrel extension.
My last trip out pretty much confirmed bringing the bolt forward a couple thousandths should still be fine as far as firing pin protrusion (0.045") and head space demensions and should have plenty of clearance from firing pin's protrusion as its barely denting the cartridge as it is, might just be enough to gain that extra thousandth or so it needs to positively pinch the priming compound and set off the chambered cartridge.
Thats my main beef with this rifle now.

Its possible my old photos are still up on this sight.
https://www.gunandgame.com/threads/r...y-ache.181962/
Attached Images

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 09-15-2019 at 03:03 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page