6.5 x 55 case head separation - Page 3 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedman View Post
M 134, You have a strange problem for sure. One last thing I thought of is the diameter at the head of the brand of brass that has sepparated the correct size for the 6.5 X 55 ? I heard somewhere that some were made with the same diameter head such as 308 Win. size and that would be 7 to 8 thousands undersized.

jedman

I have heard that also.

Go Donald Go!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Yes, Swede case head is a bit bigger. 6.5 x 55 SAAMI rim is .4803" and case head is .4782". All of my current batch of case rims measure .477- .478" except for Winchester cases which measure .474. 7 x 57 SAAMI rim is .473" and case head is .471.

From earlier reloading for another 6.5 x 55 I recall that the Winchester case rims/heads were smaller than European brands.

6.5 x 55 SAAMI chamber diameter is .4794 at the chamber mouth. My fired cases are typically .478" at the web regardless of brand. Unfired Lapua cases are .473" at the web, fired Lapua cases are .480" at the web ring. Fired case web at .480" doesn't make sense for a .4794" chamber mouth. My neck sized one fired case reloads seemed to chamber OK.

I think next step will be to pull the barrel and measure chamber mouth diameter and perhaps make a chamber cast to determine chamber diameter at case web depth.

Last edited by M134 Troll; 01-12-2020 at 05:07 PM. Reason: add
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

No. 7 barrel vice bushing on the way from Brownells.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Pulled the 6.5 x 55 barrel tonight. No problems with the correct vise bushing.

Not at all confident of chamber mouth measurement with digital calipers....could not get consistent numbers.

Unfired Lapua and Nosler brass both wiggle when inserted all the way in the chamber. Offhand the wiggle is more than .0014". Fired cases inserted by hand were refused unless some pressure was applied. Same cases were not refused when chambered using the bolt before the barrel was removed. Camming action of bolt lugs bearing on bolt recess face overcame the resistance to chambering fired cases.

Sounds like a chamber cast will be in order.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 08:00 PM

which brand dies are you using and what is the diameter of the cases at the neck when the cases have been sized but not yet loaded. If the die is American made you could be sizing down too far, stretching the brass a bit but might setting yourself up for a case head separation if your chamber is generously chambered and your brass is undersized.
This happens with American made reloading dies and the 303 British; chambers are generous, brass gets a bit undersized and you blow some cases. Neck sizing takes care of that if you have only one 303 British rifle otherwise it becomes a pita to keep the brass straight. I once saw a Parker-Hale sporterized Mk4 No1 SMLE that wore a custom 303 British barrel but couldn't afford it. Anyhow, neck sizing might help. Just sayin'.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Neck sized only using Lee collet die.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Mike View Post
which brand dies are you using and what is the diameter of the cases at the neck when the cases have been sized but not yet loaded. If the die is American made you could be sizing down too far, stretching the brass a bit but might setting yourself up for a case head separation if your chamber is generously chambered and your brass is undersized.
This happens with American made reloading dies and the 303 British; chambers are generous, brass gets a bit undersized and you blow some cases. Neck sizing takes care of that if you have only one 303 British rifle otherwise it becomes a pita to keep the brass straight. I once saw a Parker-Hale sporterized Mk4 No1 SMLE that wore a custom 303 British barrel but couldn't afford it. Anyhow, neck sizing might help. Just sayin'.

For the .303, I use Lee Dies. I partially size my brass. Start a little, try in chamber, if it won't close, I turn die down a little more then try again. I repeat this until the bolt will just close on the sized brass.

As for the 6.5 swede, I full length with Lee dies and haven't had any issues. Granted, my barrel is a rebarrel of a 7mm Mauser to a 6.5 Swede and not original military.

Rosewood

Go Donald Go!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page