Two stage triggers, Calvin Elite Timney - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Default Two stage triggers, Calvin Elite Timney

Used to think I could tune a Rem 700 factory trigger to a perfect weight and creep. Now I am reading about the Timney two stage trigger and I wonder if I would like it.

What do you know about this style of trigger and who has one? I might bite the bullet soon.

It is not a set trigger. Has a very light pull at first then settles to a spot where the pull is about 2 1/2 lbs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 05:53 AM

i thought I wouldn't like them but bought one for one of my ar15s and actually came to like it. It kind of settles me down when sometimes I tend to rush a shot. I ended up buying 4 of them. Only thing I didn't like was I put one in a ar15 blackout pistol and find that when you want to shoot fast its kind of distracting because when your shooting fast you want the trigger to break fast and don't have time to "stage" it. But they make an excellent trigger for hunting or long range shooting.

BLUE LIVES MATTER!!!!!!!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 07:49 AM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

My Weatherby Vanguards all have two stage triggers and I love them. On a running coyote I can feel the slack take up and know that I am at the point where the trigger breaks. I take up that slack and hold it until the lead feels right and then roll that coyote up in a ball. I'll never use anything else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Gun Cabinet

Personally I hate two stage triggers and won't ever have another gun with one. To each his own but for me they aren't the way to go.

Bill aka the Graybeard

https://www.gboreloaded.com/forums

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

JESUS is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 10:13 AM

Gun Cabinet

I have no problem with two stage triggers for rifles but I've been pulling them for a long, long time. I find a nicely set-up two stage trigger much more desirable than heavier pull single stage. About a 2.75 lb. - 3.5 lb. pull works for me in either scenario.

For pistols a single stage around 2 lbs. is what I like.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 10:39 AM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
Personally I hate two stage triggers and won't ever have another gun with one. To each his own but for me they aren't the way to go.
I didn't like them either for a long time. However I do a lot of shooting in the cold when it is <20 degrees. I don't know how many times I cussed under my breath while shooting at a coyote with a single stage trigger while wearing light gloves. It was hard to know just when the trigger was going to break. The two stage trigger fixes that for me.

When I was shooting USBR Competition I always shot a single stage trigger as shooting barehanded from the bench is a different scenario!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page