Fixing scope base holes - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2020, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Default Fixing scope base holes

Has anyone out there had experience with fixing unaligned scope base holes in M98 rear receiver bridges?

I saw a Chilean Mauser recently which might make a good donor action but the rear bridge had four scope base holes....and they were not in a straight line. They might be welded closed and the rear bridge recontoured, but at what cost?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2020, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M134 Troll View Post
Has anyone out there had experience with fixing unaligned scope base holes in M98 rear receiver bridges?

I saw a Chilean Mauser recently which might make a good donor action but the rear bridge had four scope base holes....and they were not in a straight line. They might be welded closed and the rear bridge recontoured, but at what cost?
Unless you are real concerned about cosmetics, why not fil the holes with allen screws, followed by JUB Weld, then relocate the base. It may cover

some of the old holes.

Such should work well, if it is basically a "working gun"..

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.. (Gen George S. Patton)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2020, 11:32 PM

Gun Cabinet

The rear bridge, ok. I'm not fond of welding on a receiver ring. I'm sure many have gotten away with it. Welding will alter the hardness of the original heat treatment and possibly weaken the receiver. 55,000-60,000 psi a few inches from my face, um, no thanks.

Just my $.02...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-29-2020, 08:28 AM

My guess is the cost of repair would be more than you could find another action for. Personally, a repaired action, even if very well done, is not something I'd want to dump any more money into.

There are still M98 actions in decent shape floating around out there and in the long run would probably be just as cheap or cheaper than starting with one that needs repair.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-29-2020, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

The front base holes looked OK, so no hot work on the front ring. Rear scope base might cover the bad holes, but they would still be there. Maybe OK for a brother-in-law loaner rifle.

Donor rifle prices....for just about all old military pieces....have been pretty stiff at the last few shows and on the Dundee Cabela's used rack.

The action was a postwar large ring FN, which caught my eye. But my thinking is aligning with Spruce's comments. One sees Sears Model ?51 rifles from time to time with essentially the same action and in better shape and factory low bolt handle. I've seen just a couple of bare M98 receivers in the past year/3-4 shows. And there are new Ruger American .270 rifles at pretty good prices at a couple of mid Michigan shops. And the odd Howa/Weatherby Vaungard.

I haven't outgrown the interest to fix up old Mausers, but rebarreling is expensive and it's hard to find a 'smith who can weld on a low bolt handle that looks good. Just might have to redirect resources to a Ruger American or TC compass.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2020, 06:48 AM

I understand your dilemma. I love those old Mausers, and have had a few rebarreled in the past. It used to be a fairly cheap way to get a nice rifle for hunting.

But the reality today is you can just buy a new budget rifle off the rack and it will shoot as good or better than a custom Mauser, and be a lot cheaper to boot. However, sitting in the blind with an Ruger American or a Savage Axis just isn't the same as sitting there with a custom Mauser!

I have a M96 Swedish Mauser that is my go to deer rifle. I've owned a lot of fancier rifles that have come and gone, but that one has stayed!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2020, 02:43 PM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by M134 Troll View Post
The front base holes looked OK, so no hot work on the front ring. Rear scope base might cover the bad holes, but they would still be there. Maybe OK for a brother-in-law loaner rifle.

Donor rifle prices....for just about all old military pieces....have been pretty stiff at the last few shows and on the Dundee Cabela's used rack.

The action was a postwar large ring FN, which caught my eye. But my thinking is aligning with Spruce's comments. One sees Sears Model ?51 rifles from time to time with essentially the same action and in better shape and factory low bolt handle. I've seen just a couple of bare M98 receivers in the past year/3-4 shows. And there are new Ruger American .270 rifles at pretty good prices at a couple of mid Michigan shops. And the odd Howa/Weatherby Vaungard.

I haven't outgrown the interest to fix up old Mausers, but rebarreling is expensive and it's hard to find a 'smith who can weld on a low bolt handle that looks good. Just might have to redirect resources to a Ruger American or TC compass.
There's always this VS a Ruger American or TC Compass....

https://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...n_id=101394440
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WARD-S-WESTERN-FIELD-MODEL-EJN-753-BELGIAN-PRODUCTION-MAUSER-98-SPORTER-30-06-CAL-RIFLE-CA-1950-.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	242054  

Last edited by 336ER; 03-01-2020 at 02:45 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2020, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Yup, the Husqvarnas are nice.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2020, 03:22 PM

The Chilean could be welded and repaired, but unless you do it yourself, it won't be worth the cost. One of the Sears rifles with a commercial FN action would be a much better action.

2120-September 1, 1945
To: D A MacArthur /C H Nimitz
Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional , illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of cr*p by the clean end!

Now, with special thanks to the Truman Museum and Harry himself, you and I finally have a full understanding of what "POLITICAL CORRECTNESS" really means.....
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-09-2020, 06:37 PM

I have seen several rifles in which screws were made to fit holes perfectly, installed with blue loc-tite, heads cut off (mill) carefully filed flush, then new holes drilled before re-bluing. With new base installed, you could not see the repair unless looking up into the unstocked action. Something that has worked in the past on similar issue.

"Life is a play before an audience of One. When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?" SP 2002

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page