My new old vermin rifle! - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!
Default My new old vermin rifle!

I was at Brownells looking to see if they had any pellet rifle scopes which they don't. I walked by the used gun rack and there was a real clean Marlin 81-DL. It is a bolt action tube fed 22 with a 26 inch barrel. They came from the factory with a rear peep sight. This one was clean and I got it for a 100 dollar bill. I also bought three boxes of those CCI 22 lr Quiet shells. I zeroed it in at 30 yards and without touching the sights I put five rounds in the 1 inch square. I couldn't help but smile and say out loud here kitty kitty. The best part is with that 26 inch barrel they make about as much noise as spitting out a fingernail!

Who needs a pellet gun....not me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 08:31 AM

Gun Cabinet

Nice looking rifle. It needs a couple of bricks run through it now. I love the old bolt action 22’s.

My grandpa has a Mossberg with a full stock when I was growing up. It was his “Groundhog” rifle. It had the hooded front sight, a ramp sight and a peep. I’d love to find one like it. It always captivated my imagination as it rested in the middle slot of his gunrack above his dresser.

After darkness, light.

Simul Justus et Peccator
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 08:40 AM

poo! I missed one! You got a dandy, that is for sure.
I recently acquired a Remington 511-P with the peep sight, i really appreciate how the peep sight tightens the vision.
Congratulations!

Come quickly, Lord Jesus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

http://www.gunvaluesboard.com/marlin...-29506732.html For reference.....mine is as clean or cleaner than the one in the picture!

I walked right by all the high dollar stuff and like a magnet was sucked right to this one. Why is that?

I don't know why but half or more of the urls that I load to this site wont take...sorry!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 10:06 AM

Why is that? The Lord loves to give the desires of our heart to those who serve Him.
best wishes

Come quickly, Lord Jesus
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 10:45 AM

Those were nice rifles and around here finding one at a hundred bucks would be stealing it. I'm glad it shoot the quites well. I have several 22s and none will shoot them worth a hoot.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 11:29 AM

I also have one though not all that clean. I use it to shoot rats with Federal ratshot loads. Patterns it a bit tight but hits result in the execution of the rat!

I stand for the Republic and all who oppose me be cursed!
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodshot View Post
Why is that? The Lord loves to give the desires of our heart to those who serve Him.
best wishes
It's because of the attitude of our heart towards the stuff that He gives us. It's whether we long for or covet something vs being content, thankful and keep our tangible blessings in perspective to the big picture.

I have an acquaintance that goes bonkers when he sees something that he wants. He is just apt to leave some bills unpaid so he can buy whatever toy it is that's driving him crazy. Then he flaunts it like he has moved up in social status. He has a whole wallet full of them plastic cards that have numbers on one side and a stripe on the other. He shoots a top of the line Anschutz rifle in the county shoots and I shoot a 10/22 with a Green Mountain Barrel and Clark trigger that I put together myself. He has a couple grand in his shooting stick and I have <$500 in mine with the scope. I have a Tasco 6X24x with AO. He has a Night Force. I beat his score every weekend that we both show up. I never say a word about it..ever. However he has come close a couple of times and one of these weekends he will get lucky 'n beat me. I am worried about that day because I know him and I know me. It won't matter that he won but if he taunts me to the extreme that he has others his day won't end well and I will go home once again content!

He has the philosophy of "He who dies with the most toys wins!"......well he that dies with the most toys is still dead and his family is left with the aftermath of all that plastic in his wallet. He was saying the other day that he has trouble sleeping at night because of his bills. Not this old fart....I sleep like a baby and I am tickled pink with my new old hunert dollar gun!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 03:15 PM

I see, things own him, not he owns things.
Slighting his family to compensate for his feeling of inadequacy?
You are doing a good thing by modeling gracious winning, I hope he is young enough he may mature out
of his fixation.

Come quickly, Lord Jesus
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa&hisguns View Post
I was at Brownells looking to see if they had any pellet rifle scopes which they don't. I walked by the used gun rack and there was a real clean Marlin 81-DL. It is a bolt action tube fed 22 with a 26 inch barrel. They came from the factory with a rear peep sight. This one was clean and I got it for a 100 dollar bill. I also bought three boxes of those CCI 22 lr Quiet shells. I zeroed it in at 30 yards and without touching the sights I put five rounds in the 1 inch square. I couldn't help but smile and say out loud here kitty kitty. The best part is with that 26 inch barrel they make about as much noise as spitting out a fingernail!

Who needs a pellet gun....not me!
when I was a teen I bought a single shot .22, don't remember the brand for $6. It had a matchbook under the rear sight. You could shoot the ears off a gnat with that gun. It is really hard to find tube feed .22s, I love them, load it on sunday and shoot all week. Older guns are certainly more substantial, even cheap old guns had walnut stocks. From a practical standpoint I don't think you can wear out a .22 by shooting it. That $100 gun is better than 3 new plastic ones.

mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page