Remington Model 514 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Default Remington Model 514

Picked up one about a week ago. April 55 date stamp. Very nice shape except the stock finish. Something took the finish down to the wood on half the butt. I took the rest of it off with acetone, glass bedded it, full length and finished it with boiled linseed oil.
The original finish hid some subtle, but very nice grained walnut.
I had fired her prior to the bedding/ to finish and CCI standard velocity 40 grain would put 5 shots into groups ranging from 1/2 to 11/16ths at 25 yards with the factory open sights.
The 514s are horribly bedded. No support under the stock bolt which makes them VERY sensitive to over/ under tightening. This one liked the bolt so loose, the barreled action would move back and forth when cycling the action.
I've had a couple of these rifles and they were all good shooters. This is the first one I glass bedded. It'll be interesting to see how she shoots properly set up.
Range report to follow.

The LORD bless and keep you.The LORD make his face to shine apon you and be gracious to you.The LORD look apon you with favor and bring you peace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 06:19 AM Thread Starter

Accuracy was roughly equal with the CCI 40 grain standard velocities after the bedding, but was more in the 1/2 to 5/8ths level. Consistency did improve as did maintenance of point of impact.
I tried some Remington 36 gr h.p. golden bullets.
She LIKES those!
Point of impact was the same for windage, but a little lower for elevation. Groups ranged from 3/8ths to 5/8ths for 5 shots at 25 yards.
Looks like I got me a FINE rifle. Now to find a nice aperture sight and smooth up the trigger.

The LORD bless and keep you.The LORD make his face to shine apon you and be gracious to you.The LORD look apon you with favor and bring you peace

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in