Graybeard Outdoors banner

How often to clean?

878 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  gpa&hisguns 
#1 ·
Thread going on the S&W forum. Opinions all over the place.
I clean .22s after each outing that are used very infrequently. The few that I use regularly I just wipe down after an outing. The ones that are cleaned from the muzzle are only barrel cleaned very infrequently.
Growing up my father had one .22, a Rem model 12 that he bought for a dollar during the depression. He had never cleaned it and I did for the first time in the late 60s and the barrel came out quite shiny and it was still accurate.
Your takes?
GuzziJohn

#2 ·
I almost never clean the bore on my 39A, or my Browning Buckmark.
I will oil the action on both several times a year, and tear them down for cleaning once every year or so.
The 39A stays by the back door, and sometimes is used daily.

#3 ·
I seldom clean the bore on my .22's. After shooting or hunting I give the outside a quick wipe down with a lightly oiled rag to take off any fingerprints or moisture that may be on it. A complete teardown and thorough cleaning depends on how much it's been shot - could be as long as several years in between.

#4 ·
Once every 10 to 20 years should be about right. Really the best way to determine when is to know the accuracy level of your rimfire and when it falls off noticeably then clean it. Until then leave it the heck alone.

#5 ·
Only if I hunt in the rain which is getting less and less as I become a duffer. Then I spray the inside out with brake cleaner followed by PB Blaster and pull an oily rag down the bore followed by a dry one. Then I fire a round or two into the woodpile in the garage as fouling shots and she's good as new!

I have been asked what I do when I put it away at the end of the season? End of what season? Cats are in season 24/7/365 days a year around here! It never gets put away! It's one of them old long barreled Remington 580s and shoots CB Longs very well. All ya hear is pftht..... thud.

I know that was more than the OP asked for but hey, there is always room for free dead cat humor.

Lest I draw a bunch of ire....Old Lady "P"'s cat Cornelius has been in my yard fifty times in the last 5 years and he has never heard a pftht or felt the thud so I am judicious as to which cats get culled from the herd. Now Roy don't care about judicious and Cornelius can climb a tree or else.....................

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.