Graybeard Outdoors banner

Roundball velocity

17K views 26 replies 17 participants last post by  Topnotch 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I noticed in one of the threads someone wanted to know the velocity of a roundball. Goex has a load chart that also has the approximate velocity of the suggested load.

#7 ·
That data is a great reference, thank you for making it available for us. 8)

Does anybody know where to get data on the little .32 calibre?

#9 ·
The Lyman Blackpowder Handbook has been my "Goto Book" for all things muzzleloading since the mid 70's. But when I look at the load data for Rifles & Muskets, beginning on page 82, the published data does not address calibres that are smaller than the venerable little .36 calibre.

I'm lookimg for load data on the .32 calibre that is comparable in its depth & scope to the published data found in the Lyman publication. That would include load data for both round balls and conical bullets. I have casting molds for the .311 round ball and the .32 calibre Maxi bullet. If I could find that data, I could then print the .32 calibre data and slip the printout into the cover of my Lyman book for future references.

The other alternative would be to take my rifle out and shoot it and collect my own data. But I have blasted 3 Chronies over the years while generating data on various muzzleloader calibres. The muzzle blast can be quite destructive to the sensitive instruments that I've used in the past. I've had to place the chrony as far as 10 to 15 yards infront of the rifle so that the blast from the firearm does not blow the instrument off its stand and damage the device. My current Chrony is a very nice user friendly digital model and I would rather not risk its being damaged; unless I absolutely have too.

#11 ·
The Goex chart doesn't use the ball weight by caliber that most would shoot in that caliber patched. The RB used would be about 5-12 grains lighter than the chart depending on caliber (not to mention patch/lube used, barrel length, rifling in barrel and if a smoothie if you want to split hairs.) But then, how close to exact velocity do you really need to know for your smokepole? IOW, folks put far too much importance on velocity IMO when a little range time will tell them what it can and can not do with different loads at different ranges in THEIR firearm, AND get them some practice at the same time making smoke. ;)

#12 ·
when I first started, my mentor suggested to keep adding powder until you get a sharp crack.
I did, and killed a fork-horn in Missouri.

#13 ·
Give me a couple days and I'll send ya a P M with the data I have. The second edition Lyman that I have has roundball data for the .32, but says conicals are no longer recommended for the .32. I think I also have some .36 cal data, but will not promise anything

#14 ·
...but says conicals are no longer recommended for the .32
One of my 32's shot home cast TC maxi's far better than it did RB's, and it shot many hundreds of them for over two decades with no problems.

I have data for both 32 and 36, but as I said I don't see it as important enough information to go hunt for. Max loads for a brand/model of firearm SB more than enough to work out what loads work the best for you for your purposes in your firearm IMO.

#15 ·
About twelve years ago I went out and bought a brand new copy of the Lyman book; I see that its the 10th printing published in June of 1994. I gave my old 1st printing book to my dad. I think I'll have to go over to his house today and thumb through that old book and see if they had dropped the .32 calibre data from the later printings.

Dang if that wouldn't tick me off if that is what they did. ???

I knew that I had seen the .32 data many years ago, but I just could not remember where I had seen it. I've been kicking myself that I didn't make copies of the data, but if the data was in the Lyman book....then I wouldn't have made copies in the 1st place, as I would assume that they wouldn't be dropping load data.

#16 ·
flintlock said:
Why would you want to know???
I am an educator and I teach chemistry and physics...so by default, data tables, charts and graphs fascinate me. When I start working with a firearm, the first thing I do is consult the data tables for that calibre and develop a load plan for that firearm based on the published load data.

As I look through my load tables for my .32 calibre that I made years ago; I see that an 18 grain load of 3fg, behind a .311 round ball is ballistically very close to the published data for a .22 LR. My standard hunting load of 32 grains of 3fg behind that same round ball is a little hotter than the stated data for a .22 Magnum.

I have a few loads for the .32 Calibre Maxi Ball...But I never used the my chrony to collect data on those loads. Published data would give me a ball-park of where my loads are sitting as far as velocities and energy.

I've shot my .32 for many years. And I've developed a set of loads for the rifle, but how do my collected data sets compare to the published data for the .32 calibre?

#17 ·
keith44 said:
Give me a couple days and I'll send ya a P M with the data I have. The second edition Lyman that I have has roundball data for the .32, but says conicals are no longer recommended for the .32. I think I also have some .36 cal data, but will not promise anything
would it not depend on rate of twist ?

#18 ·
Shootall yes and no. The twist rate is for projectile stabilization only. The rate of twist or number of turns per a given distance will spin a projectile to a given revolutions per second depending on velocity. That RPS stabilizes the projectile to aide in accuracy. Since the rate of twist is constant in a given barrel but velocity can be changed it is possible to have decent accuracy from the same rifle using both conical and RB projectiles. My Pedersoli Kodiak double rifle (.54 x .54) is very accurate (firing each barrel 3 times for a 6 shot group) with a light charge of 3F (55 grains) and using PRB .535 diameter (2" group at 60 yards) or I can shoot Maxi balls (435 grain) over 90 grains of 2F for a similar group. Being a double rifle I have to add that both loads shoot to the sights and both regulate at the 60 yard mark. The twist rate for this rifle is 1:32.

#24 ·
That is an interesting chart. I'm curious how a 69cal, 493gr round ball is 170 ft/sec faster than a 58 cal 293gr both using 70 gr FF???

#25 ·
Thanks to those that posted this fine bit of "spiritual enrichment". You just solved one of the greatest mysteries in my life for which I havent been able to figure out thus far in life. I am sure the velocities vary a bit from gun to gun and load to load but at least this gives me a bit of a base line to work from.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.