Looking for a rifle kit - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Default Looking for a rifle kit

Hey Guys,

Looking for your expert opinions... I'd like to get a Flinter kit for both hunting and something that could be displayed on wall. Nothing too extreme, but don't want to go with the Traditions route either. I'm thinking either 50 or 54 caliber, using it for deer primarily. What are the reputable makers of such kits and what styles of rifle should I look at. I realize it's in the eye of the beholder and all that, so just looking for options. I've not build a gun before, but have the necessary experience that I feel very comfortable doing one. I will be getting some references to help with the build, so recommendations for those would help as well...

Thanks!

Buckskin

Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the h-ell they please. --John Wayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 04:38 PM

You good with your hands?

What I have been doing is picking up old CVA and Juker guns that came from the 70s. Many CVAs have Juker marks. Most were "built" by guys who had no idea what they were doing . $100? at my lgs. Not buying a gun. Break it down and treat it as a new kit. I have a link If you want it. You can spend allot of cash-----But if you have some "skills"

you can turn it into a shooter.

Occupied California.Pray for us.----- Proudly Deplorable. Proudly not Deportable !!!!!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

I'd be up for doing that, maybe even start there. But what I really want is something from a quality builder with nice wood and such. Been looking at the Jim Chambers guns a bit...

Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the h-ell they please. --John Wayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 11:35 AM

Nothing can compare to a kit from a custom builder.
However Pedersoli does make some unique flintlock kits.
It all depends on what you're looking for.
They are said to be level 1 kits for beginners.
Dixie sells some and there are more that Pedersoli dealers should be able to order that are listed on the Pedersoli website.--->>> https://www.davide-pedersoli.com/tip...it-rifles.html
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 01:14 PM

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Category.aspx/588

Dig through this.

Occupied California.Pray for us.----- Proudly Deplorable. Proudly not Deportable !!!!!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 01:34 PM

In flintlocks it is all about the lock. I've been building and shooting muzzleloaders since my first in about 1957. For years I shot only percussion. I tried flintlocks several times but was so frustrated I either converted them to percussion or sold them cheap to be rid of them. But I still had the urge to shoot flint so in '89 or so I bought a Centermark fusil de chasse kit and assembled it. The first evening I took it plinking I was blown away by the reliability and speed of that lock, even as the evening dampness began to turn the flash pan into a mud hole. But of course I was not satisfied with the smoothbore accuracy so I soon invested in a Pedersoli .45 rifle of the Blue Ridge style. That lock was also absolutely reliable and fast and now 30 years later I own only flintlocks, it took one really good lock to make a flint shooter of me. Pretty wood is nice to have, a high quality barrel is important but a top of the line lock is essential if you are to be a happy rocklock shooter.

The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 01:50 PM

Location: THE REPUBLIC OF TEXAS or CENTRAL FREDONIAN REPUBLIC
Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotejoe View Post
In flintlocks it is all about the lock. . . . . Pretty wood is nice to have, a high quality barrel is important but a top of the line lock is essential if you are to be a happy rocklock shooter.
THIS ^ ^ ^
and an inexpensive reliable source of real powder

The United States doesn't have a gun control problem.
We have a people control problem.

Honor the Texas flag;I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas,
one state under God, one and indivisible.

* * * * AMERICA * * * *
LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT ! !
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 04:20 PM

Never built one myself but, Kibler’s kits are well spoken of on the traditional muzzleloading forum.

"Let's bring back the good old GBO. where the men were men & the sheep knew it!"
----------------------and the women glad of it--------------------------:

-----------------"How d'you Expect to Die if ya Dodge Everything?"--------------------
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

Well, I've been researching constantly for the last several days and decided to go with a Jim Chambers - Edward Marshall kit in 54 cal.

http://www.flintlocks.com/rifles02.htm

It is the same gun that he hunts with and has the style/stock configuration and reasonable hunting barrel length that I was looking for. After talking with them, I was reassured in my choice.

The lock is a Siler, which that company was purchased by Jim in 1993. From the research that I've done looks like a solid lock and guaranteed for life.

Ordered yesterday!!! It's a Christmas present from my wife, so she was glad all parts were in stock. Now I will be as giddy as the kids sitting around the tree Christmas morning...

Until then, I have a lot more research to do. It's aside from assembly, it's obviously a whole different animal than my Encore ML'er…

Buckskin

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 08:53 AM

Good choice! You can't go wrong with Jim Chambers. Now order a couple of dozen black English flints, 25 pounds of powder including some 2fg some 3fg and one pound of 4fg, a few hundred balls, patch cloth in a variety of thicknesses from .015"-.027" and you're all set.

The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page