Levers to the Left: But how? - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info guys.

I was in a pawnshop last Monday, and they had a Savage-Fox-Sterlingworth on the rack. (Probably one of the last ones assembled, with serial range being 376xxx) The outside of the gun and the bores looked like just a medium amount of honest wear. When you closed it up, it was really tight.

The shop owner told me it was really valuable, and they were only asking $995.

I then gave it a closer look and handed it back. When the action was open, the hinge creaked noticeably from side to side. And, I measured the barrels at 27 inches. The face end of the barrels had a spot of solder that had been inserted into a gap between the barrels and then filed down.

Told the owner that someone had sawed this gun off, resulting in absolutely no chokes. And, that the action had been abused. He made no reply and put it back up on the rack.

By the way, how come the hinges creak side to side, and how much does it cost for a smith to fix that? Plainly, it is not the same issue as the lever being to the left.

Mannyrock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyrock View Post
By the way, how come the hinges creak side to side, and how much does it cost for a smith to fix that?

Mannyrock
That's not a big deal to fix, I don't know what a smith would charge because anytime I've run into that I just fixed it myself. The forend spacer isn't tight up against the hinge when that happens. All you have to do is take the forend spacer off and shim it with something in between the forend and spacer. I've used duct tape but you can use other things too. You just cut it smaller than the width and height of the spacer that way it's not noticeable when you put it back together.

Liberal Logic 101:
Americans shall be required to submit to a background check to exercise a right already guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment while any foreigner shall be allowed into America without submitting to a background check.

H&R family: Topper 88 16 Gauge Mod, Pardner 16 gauge Full, Model 480 Topper Jr .410 Full, Handi .300 AAC Blackout
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 01:31 AM

Well, first question is, where was the lever when it was new?
Do you know for a fact that it was to the right, or was it centered?

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 01:44 AM

Location: Smack Dab in the middle of God's Country! Saskatchewan, Of Course!

the way they regulate barrels on doubles, leaves visible solder at the muzzle

perhaps the same with a shotgun?

I am ONLY responsible for what I say
I am NOT responsible for what you THINK I said
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Good Question Nanuck,

Don't know much about this stuff, but the online sources I consulted said that the barrels on a Sterlingworth should virtually touch each other at the muzzle end. The one I looked at had a 1/8th to 1/4 inch gap, filled with solder in a strange pattern. So, this one may have originally been 30 inches, and cut down to 27.

Mannyrock
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Gunfixr,

Being a novice as to sxs, I have no idea whether original Sterlingworths had their levers to the right when new. My only experience have been with the SKB 100s and Browning SXS, and all of them had their levers markedly to the right when new. (Same with the Citories).

Beginning to think that trying to buy a classic American sxs is so thoroughly fraught with risks and issues, that it may not be worth it. As I have mentioned, I am sick of buying problems and projects..

I guess that leaves the Ithaca-SKBs, true Japanese with the unattractive light colored stocks. Just need to check the scallops in the buttstock.

I see some good prices on Stevens Savage Model 5100s, in 16 gauge, in good looking shape. Just not sure how much shooting they can handle, and I have no idea how to adjust the forend screws so that the barrels will drop open and stay open for easy reloading with one hand.

On a different note, I once borrowed someone's Browning 20 gauge sxs for two seasons, with 26 inch barrels. Choked modified and IC. Used if for quail and dove. I kid you not, but I absolutely could not hit a single thing with that gun! Was very used to seeing birds fall from the sky when I unleashed the fury of my 12 gauge Lightweight Browning Auto-5 on them with 1 oz gameloads. (It kinda fired like one of those WWII German anti-aircraft guns.) That experience turned me against sxs for the last 30 years. But, those Brownings are way too heavy for me to carry anymore.

By the way, at the gunshow last week, I saw a used Ugartechea Dickenson 20 gauge for sale. At the end of the show, the guy was only asking $350 (down from $450). But, it only had 26 inch barrels, and the grip cap was broken in half, and the thick plastic-like finish was badly cracked and falling off all along both sides of the buttstock where the wood meets the receiver. It was also flaking off along the entire top comb of the gun. It was also way way too light for my taste. Probably a good project gun for someone, but I can't afford projects anymore.

Mannyrock
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 11:07 PM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyrock View Post
Gunfixr,

I see some good prices on Stevens Savage Model 5100s, in 16 gauge, in good looking shape. Just not sure how much shooting they can handle, and I have no idea how to adjust the forend screws so that the barrels will drop open and stay open for easy reloading with one hand.

Mannyrock

saw this awhile back got acouple 311's, a 5100, and a couple savages, haven't tried it yet but am planning to.
http://www.rucascowboys.com/stevensmod.htm

Kevin
Handi's:17 Mach2, 17 HMR, 22LR x2, 22 Win Mag,17 WSM, 17 Hornet, 204 Ruger UV, 22 Hornet UV, 223 Ultra, 223(for now), 22-250 UV, 25-06, 35 Whelen, 30-30, 30-06, 20ga x2, 20GA USH, 12ga USH, 12 ga Turkey, 44 Mag, H&W 45-70 BC, H&R 45-70 BC(for now), 45 LC CC, 500 S&W and 40+ non-H&R types

If you have to shoot more than once you should not have shot the first time.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of sh*t by the clean end!" President Harry S Truman Sept 1, 1945
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwb13 View Post
saw this awhile back got acouple 311's, a 5100, and a couple savages, haven't tried it yet but am planning to.
http://www.rucascowboys.com/stevensmod.htm
I never realized there was a fix for this although I've never considered it a big deal because mine is used for hunting. I did some searching and saw this, it looks like Numrich sells the part to fix this issue: http://marauder.homestead.com/stevens311.html

Liberal Logic 101:
Americans shall be required to submit to a background check to exercise a right already guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment while any foreigner shall be allowed into America without submitting to a background check.

H&R family: Topper 88 16 Gauge Mod, Pardner 16 gauge Full, Model 480 Topper Jr .410 Full, Handi .300 AAC Blackout
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

It is a huge problem if you are trying to shoot dove. :-)
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 11:51 AM

I'm jealous that you get to shoot doves, we aren't allowed to hunt them here. Unless you count "rock doves" AKA pigeons.

Liberal Logic 101:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page