5 Affordable Over/Under Shotguns Worth A Shot - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Gun Cabinet

Long years ago I think there were a lot of reported issues on the Condor. I've never owned one but have owned several Stoeger guns and had no complaints about those I had. I think I've owned them in 12, 20, 28 and .410 all.

Bill aka the Graybeard

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

JESUS is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 10:56 AM

Default CZ

Not sure of the shotguns, but CZ has a cult like following amongst the .22 rimfire guys. While definitely not an O/U, I'd like to try a 20 gauge CZ Sharptail. Something you could take into the woods and thickets, let rain fall on it and not worry so much. The case hardened receiver lends a touch of class. My Win 101 has a single trigger with integrated barrel selector, doesn't seem an issue. I've wimped out before, wearing gloves fighting briars and had interference issues with a double trigger. Since then, only one glove on the non trigger hand. I do like an automated ejector though. That distinctive pop sound upon opening with the fired hull arching over the shoulder.

Ammunition is like firewood. The more you have, the warmer you feel.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 11:13 AM

Gun Cabinet

Gun Rag Writers write what they are paid to right other wise it don't get printed I read the reports look the guns over and then decide what is best for me price also has to enter into the choice.

Deaconllb

U S Air Force Korean vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defence Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 11:41 AM

I've only owned one Stoeger and that was a SxS coach gun. It worked fine, but the barrels didn't shoot anywhere near to the same point of aim. That's not really a knock against Stoeger, it's not an uncommon occurrence with lower priced doubles/over and unders. Likely the short (20") barrels contributed to the points of impact being so far apart.

Ejectors are nice, but I wouldn't want them on a gun with a price point lower than the Citori. They work fine on cheap single shots, but not so much on cheap doubles/over and unders.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 01:56 AM

Gun Cabinet

va rifleman,

The CZ's were carving out quite a reputation amongs the O/U & SxS crowd, then they "simplified" their line-up and all the chatter about them seemed to evaporate along with it.
I've only heard good things about the break actions and it seems the general consensus may still say its a preferred long gun.

-----------------------------------------------------

Greybeard,

I think I know what you're getting at.
I too can remember a time when the name "Stoeger" and "El Cheapo" were synonymous.
It seems they've turned themselves around over the years an now produce a pretty nice firearm....well, the shotguns anyway.
I'm sure, like a number of other companies, they're taking advantage of the inexpensive but well made arms that have been coming out of Turkey for the last 20 years.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 10:49 AM

Talking

My brother in law recently bought a Mossy silver reserve 20ga.
Seems like a very well made shot gun and I can shoot it just fine. He how ever would be more comfortable with a fixed choke shot gun.
He keeps changeing the chokes from week to week and never seems to get comfortable with how much he needs to lead a target.

No I have Breattas with extractors single triggers and no barrel slectors and really like them. I have Charles Dalys with single triggers and ejectors ok when shooting clays as I can crack the action and catch the hulls be fore they going flying.

I get up set when I am suooting clays with a group and the hogs eject their hulls even with autos and won't police them to the trash cans placed at every station.

I have a SKB 885 it has a barrel slector I owned the shot gun (bought used) for a long time before i knew it. I have it set like all the other OU's bottom barrel fires first.

Al

Garden View Apiaries, where the view is as sweet as the honey.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 11:27 AM

I agree that a double barrel should have double triggers. Sadly my Yildiz does not. I had a 12ga Beretta O/U that had them, gave it to a nephew who sold it. I'm an idiot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 05:43 PM

Anyone tried the new Hatfield over/under? My LGS got one in, looks nice,
kind of stiff to open - seems much nicer than the single shots at Wallys...

And retails for around $350 -

https://hatfieldguncompany.us/store/product/usf12w/
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 10:16 PM

Haven't looked at one of those, but the "kind of stiff to open" is pretty common among the Turkish made guns. Some individual specimens more so than others, even in the same brand. Not that big of a deal as they will smooth up with use, or you can speed up the process by using some fine polishing paste and working it open and closed.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 06:32 PM

Gun Cabinet

I agree with Spruce, but will expand that past Turkey.
My dad gave me a brand new Stevens 511 for Xmas in either '77 or '78.
I would've been either 14 or 15 years old at the time.
Only brand new gun I've ever owned.
It was stiff to open, too, but by the end of that first season, opening and closing wasn't nearly such a chore.
...thus, my advice...
Grab a few of those 100 round field and target loads they sell at Wally world for like $25 a pop and spend the weekend at the range.
Gun should be working very nicely by Monday.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page