OU vs SxS - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet
Default OU vs SxS

When I was a kid all the shotguns I had were SxS double barrels. Back then they were plentiful and inexpensive. Heck, for years my main gun was a Baker Gun Company Batavia Special I paid a few penny's under $10 for!

But how I longed for one a them fancy OU's! Unfortunately they were outrageously expensive at the time! Nevertheless I finally got a Winchester 101 Skeet Model and also picked up a Remington Model 3200.

Naturally It wasn't long before I started missing those SxS's that had come and gone. I still do but now the cost difference has reversed and decent SxS's are commanding the premium price.

I'm almost thankful I don't bird hunt anymore... almost.

Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute. Currently a Gentleman of Leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Gun Cabinet

I've owned several SxS guns in my life but never found one I could shoot that well. I shoot O/U guns far better than SxS and they just feel better in my hands. The old Remington 3200 is still shot by lots of folks on the clay target games. I have owned four of them, own none now, but did some of my best shooting with them both at skeet and dove hunting.

I had a Pigeon grade Winchester 101 years ago with tubes for use of .410, 28 and 20 from it. I never was happy with my shooting using it. Now I had a Ted Williams branded version of the 101 that I shot as well as any gun I've owned. One day on the skeet range I ran 174 out of 175. I ran the first six rounds straight and missed at low 6 the last round. I told the folks I was shooting with I was gonna shoot until I missed and see how long it would take. I stopped after that round. It was my best day of shooting with that gun.

My best shooting tho is done with Browning Citori Lightning guns. I once had a Belgian Browning three barrel set with barrels in 20, 28 and .410. I sure shot that gun well also. Used it to run 375 of 400 at a skeet tournament to take high overall for that tournament, won 12, 20 and 28 gauge high gun and won my class in .410 where most of the misses came.

I like the idea of SxS guns way better than the reality of them in my hands.

Bill aka the Graybeard

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

JESUS is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 04:23 PM

I have never shot a O/U But I've owned some nice SxSs. My favorite was an Ithaca model 100 20gauge.

HEAVEN HAS A WALL, A GATE, AND A STRICT IMMIGRATION POLICY.
HEII HAS OPEN BORDERS. taken from fox news

DEMOCRATS/ABORTIONISTS SHOULD TAKE HEED OF THE FACT THAT BABIES ARE GOD'S MOST PRECIOUS.

MURDER BABIES AND YOU "WILL" BURN FOR ETERNITY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 06:37 PM

I'm a S&S man, but I don't like the cheapo models that feel, fit and swing like a 2x4!! I do own an O/U too though...

I also am NOT a rich man, so to get quality I have to find a deal on a old gun and there ARE some around to be found, IF you look long enough.

DM

Lincolns legacy is, he freed the slaves

Obama's legacy will be, he freed the terrorist!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 07:55 PM

The last two good quality affordable SxS's were, in my opinion the Ithaca/SKB and the Browning BSS. I bought a new Ithaca/SKB 100 20 ga. in 1967 for $175 - and a new Remington 1100 20 next to it on the rack had a price difference of $5.00 (can't remember if it was more or less). Today a SxS of comparable quality would be 3 or 4 times the price of a new model 1100.

It seems odd to me that a lot of the cheap O/U's of today actually don't handle bad, but most of the cheap SxS's feel like a 2x4. Of course either of them may only last a season or two before they break!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post
The last two good quality affordable SxS's were, in my opinion the Ithaca/SKB and the Browning BSS. I bought a new Ithaca/SKB 100 20 ga. in 1967 for $175 - and a new Remington 1100 20 next to it on the rack had a price difference of $5.00 (can't remember if it was more or less). Today a SxS of comparable quality would be 3 or 4 times the price of a new model 1100.

It seems odd to me that a lot of the cheap O/U's of today actually don't handle bad, but most of the cheap SxS's feel like a 2x4. Of course either of them may only last a season or two before they break!
I bought mine in 1970 and if I recall it was around $200 or so.
Good shotgun.

HEAVEN HAS A WALL, A GATE, AND A STRICT IMMIGRATION POLICY.
HEII HAS OPEN BORDERS. taken from fox news

DEMOCRATS/ABORTIONISTS SHOULD TAKE HEED OF THE FACT THAT BABIES ARE GOD'S MOST PRECIOUS.

MURDER BABIES AND YOU "WILL" BURN FOR ETERNITY.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 08:49 AM

I've sold every O&U I've ever owned because I never got used to them. My favorite SxS was an Ithaca Field Grade 20 ga that I sold to pay bills. We're down to my NR Davis 12 ga. And my wife's Stoeger Zeypher 28ga.- two special to us doubles we will keep. I've been eyeballing the 20 gauge Yildiz SxS though.
But my main go-to shotgun is my Remington 870 12 ga pump and my Toppers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 06:02 PM

I've had 5 or 6 SxS's over the years and I like them. Used a Charles Daly when I was training dogs and if a bird flew, it died! I don't shoot that much anymore but still love my SxS's. Have 3 AyA matador's right now and love them; 16ga, 28ga and a 410. Bunch of money due in soon and gonna have my gun of a lifetime, just not sure what it will be yet. Got my eye on four of them, one way over the limit I got on myself, probably be the one! Still have a very old Ithica mod 37 in 16ga I never shoot and just can't part with. Don't even know if it works! I don't sell guns much!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 06:33 PM

Just spent 6 months agonizing over whether to buy a 20 gauge used VG+ Winchester 101 for $1,000 or a brand new 20 gauge CZ Sharptail SXS for $1,000.

Ended up buying the Winchester. I could not be happier. Quality and grain of walnut, fit, finish, checkering and bluing is beautiful. Far far exceeds the quality of the Sharptail. (And, the wood and finish on the Sharptail is just plain "blah"). Love the ejectors on the 101, so I don't have to dig the shells out with my fingernails.

Saw lots of nice Ithaca/SKB sxs, but they were around $1,200 to $1,500 in VG+ condition, and I just never cared for the orange tint color of the wood. Excellent guns though. A bit on the heavy side.

Mannyrock
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 07:45 AM

Gun Cabinet
Default Sxs

Nothing points like a SXS.

Ye olde Parker:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B57516CB-9347-41ED-8AAC-32FCABF5A12F.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	221006  

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer.
The readiness is all.
“Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.” Ernest Hemingway ...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page