Maverick 88 Current Models? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Default Maverick 88 Current Models?

Hi All,
Just read that the current Maverick 88's have chrome lined barrels?

Also looks like they moved the safety to the tang, unlike prior years?

Anyone have one? Are they decent guns?

Have never owned a Mossberg 500 design shotgun. Have only shot antique Marlin pumps and various 870 types.

But I've always been attraced to the 500's easier to service ejector and double extractors. But put off by the alloy receiver.

Your thoughts?

For $231 MSRP, I guess one can't go too wrong. But certainly looks like it'd be a fine low cost shotgun that gets it done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 09:24 AM

The Maverick O/U has chrome lined barrels and a tang safety, but the pump action model 88 doesn't - no chrome lining and the safety is in front of the trigger guard. Their website is a bit confusing because when you click on the Maverick pump they also describe the Maverick O/U. Not sure why they have it set up that way.

I've owned a couple of model 500's and they are good, solid guns. Never owned a Maverick 88, but they're essentially an economy version of the 500. For a new gun they're a good value.

If you look around you can find a good used model 500 for about the same price. I'd probably go that route just because I like the tang safety.

IMO the aluminum receiver is not an issue. It makes for a lighter gun to carry and all it really does is house the moving parts and provide something to attach the stock and barrel to! The bolt locks directly into the barrel extension so there's no stress on the reciever.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post
The Maverick O/U has chrome lined barrels and a tang safety, but the pump action model 88 doesn't - no chrome lining and the safety is in front of the trigger guard. Their website is a bit confusing because when you click on the Maverick pump they also describe the Maverick O/U. Not sure why they have it set up that way.

I've owned a couple of model 500's and they are good, solid guns. Never owned a Maverick 88, but they're essentially an economy version of the 500. For a new gun they're a good value.

If you look around you can find a good used model 500 for about the same price. I'd probably go that route just because I like the tang safety.

IMO the aluminum receiver is not an issue. It makes for a lighter gun to carry and all it really does is house the moving parts and provide something to attach the stock and barrel to! The bolt locks directly into the barrel extension so there's no stress on the reciever.
Thanks for the info. Good to know.

I agree, the steel to steel lockup is a nice feature of the Mossy's, as well as the extractor/ejector systems. Easier to work on etc.

To be honest it's the 590 series I really like.

But for an inexpensive field gun, the Mavericks strike me as plenty good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 02:58 PM

A friend brought a Maverick over soon after they came out and we took turns with it on informal clays and cow patties till a case of shells were gone. Not a hiccup. I've bought three for my nephews as graduation presents since. Cheap but great shotguns and the aluminum receiver shaves weight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

Anyone know if the O/U guns are Turkish made or are they also Mexico/Eagle Pass guns?

Have wanted to try an O/U for about 10 years now.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 09:01 AM

Mossberg O/U's and SxS's are Turkish made.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 09:04 PM

What is the history of the Maverick shotguns?
I remember reading way back in 1989 when they first hit the market they were based on the Mossberg 500, with differences and the company was technically separate from Mossberg.
I know you used to be able to get Wood Stocks and a raised rib way back then, then I remember reading in one of the gun rags that Mossberg took over Maverick which is why the receivers now say by Mossberg,

Were the early guns better than the current ones?

RR
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 11:29 PM

Mavericks are essentially just Mossberg 500s, I know the barrels interchange. I have a couple of them (one is loaded under my bed right now). I think other than the safety location they are identical. I think they are made in either Texas or Mexico. They are finished really well with good blueing (Mossberg receivers are aluminum and painted). I bought a youth 20 ga. and put an adult stock on it. It is light as a feather, short barrel and makes a good brush gun. I think they are actually part of Mossberg.

mike
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 11:41 PM

Mavericks are essentially just Mossberg 500s, I kniow the barrels interchange. I have a couple of them (one is loaded under my bed right now). I think other than the safety location they are identical. I think they are made in either

Oh, Walmart usually has them for $197.00 brand new. I think they are a really good value.

mike

t

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page