New shotgun! - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-05-2020, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!
Default New shotgun!

I have been hunting with my beat to heck Mossberg 500-C 20 gauge for many years now. Right in the middle of last pheasant season I decided to give in to the heckling of my hunting buddies and get an upgrade. I bought a Weatherby Pump 20 gauge. It had a different feel to it than what I was used to and it naturally pointed low......and I naturally missed several birds by shooting low. I tried to adjust but it was in vain. I had shot the Mossberg 500 for so long that I never even thought about the bead or sighting down the barrel. I just watched the flight of the bird as I swung the gun and the barrel was always pointing where I was looking. I tried real hard to like that Weatherby and actually killed a few birds with it but it wasn't the same. I went back to the Mossberg 500 at the tail end of the season and was pointing it high. That stupid Weatherby had me programed to compensate. I sold the Weatherby pronto. There was nothing at all wrong with the Weatherby so I am not bashing it, other than it didn't fit me.

After work yesterday I ran out to a local gun shop with the intent of buying a new Mossberg 500. However there on the shelf sat a Mossberg SA20. I picked it up and pointed it at the clock. It was right on the money. I repeated this look and point practice at the lights, the ceiling fan etc. until I was convinced that it pointed like my old 500 only was light as a feather. I plunked down $400 and took it home with me.

Tonight I am going to the range to shoot a few clay birds to see if I get the warm fuzzies or if I just bought another shotgun for the grandkids. Keep your fingers crossed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-05-2020, 08:38 AM

Gun Cabinet

gpa,

I, too, learned this lesson some time ago shooting completion skeet.
The #1 high house is an easy going away high over-head shot.
I liked to shoot it quick before it begins to drop - Not much of a lead.
But the shot pattern don't open much this close.
Switching shotguns, I would miss this shot often.
So stopped switching guns and settled on one for everything:
Skeet, sporting clays, quail, dove, ducks and geese.
You "need" one shotgun that fits like just an old glove or boot.

Ray
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-05-2020, 01:33 PM

Had one of those SA-20's for a while and it worked great. No functioning problems at all, other than the Winchester 7/8 oz promo shells, but they cause problems in a lot of guns. Worked just fine with all the other 7/8 and 1 oz shells I tried in it.

Mine was a youth model and thought I could use it with a thick slip on pad, but it didn't work out so sold it to a friend for his young son who was starting to hunt.

Funny how often different manufacturers will list the same stock dimensions, but the guns feel totally different when you shoulder them! For an out of the box pump or semi nothing fits me better than the Remingtons.

I think a lot has to do with the shape and size of the wrist area, and how the hand placement relates to the trigger. May be just me, but if I pick up a gun and the grip feels comfortable and natural it'll probably point good when I put it to my shoulder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 06:05 PM

Location: 190 W 6th Ave,Junction City, OR 97448, United States

Haha.. great

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page