SPANISH M-1916 Mauser marked 308W - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Well talk about a basket full of contardictions.
The looks like a 93 small ring mauser. And up at the muzzle stamped the contradiction.
308W vs. 7.62x51
It it just lazy stamping vs accurate chambering?
In the back of my mind warning bells are ringing.
I know for a fact that I have several boxes of .308 light magnum hunting rounds locked away from my kids.
If they ever were to come to scrounge around for some cartridges to shoot.
The Horniday Light Magnums wont come to be ingested by the small ring Spanish 93 mauser.
So now the basic question.
Why did Samco stamp 308W at the muzzle instead of 7.62x51?
Attached Images

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 06-15-2019 at 04:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 05:15 PM

Probably so more people would buy them.

People have been going around and around on whether it's safe to shoot .308W ammo in them or not. Everyone should know they were chambered to shoot the 7.62x51 Cetme round, which is loaded to a lower pressure than a .308W. But, unfortunately a lot of people don't know there is any difference so they just load them up with .308W and shoot them. Other people know there is a difference, but still go ahead and shoot .308W in them.

Personally I agree with you - I wouldn't shoot .308W in one of them. However, I have no direct knowledge of one ever blowing up because someone shot .308W. Nor have I ever actually read of a documented instance of one blowing up.

So, urban legend or dangerous situation??? I actually have no idea!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post
Probably so more people would buy them.

People have been going around and around on whether it's safe to shoot .308W ammo in them or not. Everyone should know they were chambered to shoot the 7.62x51 Cetme round, which is loaded to a lower pressure than a .308W. But, unfortunately a lot of people don't know there is any difference so they just load them up with .308W and shoot them. Other people know there is a difference, but still go ahead and shoot .308W in them.

Personally I agree with you - I wouldn't shoot .308W in one of them. However, I have no direct knowledge of one ever blowing up because someone shot .308W. Nor have I ever actually read of a documented instance of one blowing up.

So, urban legend or dangerous situation??? I actually have no idea!
I agree with the above. Questionable marketing. I think the Spanish wanted to press their old guns into potential 7.62 NATO compliant firearms. I would not use the light magnum loads in a small ring without proof testing. Maybe contact Hornady for advise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 08:56 AM

Both the original 7 mm military round and the 7.62 x 51 mm round both operate within the same pressure ranges, approximately 45-48,000 psi (pounds per square inch) pressure. The 308 Winchester is a hunting round basically designed for a bolt action rifle. The 7.62x51 although dimentionally identical to the 308Winchester was designed for a semi-automatic rifle, and the 308 Winchester operates in the pressure range of 60-62,000 psi, much higher than the original 7 mm and the 7.62 x 51 mm and this is the reason why the 308 is not advocated for use in the older conversions.

I believe that continued use of the 308 in those older conversions, made with older, softer metal than today's rifles, causes the older actions to stretch a bit which causes excess head space and brings about the occasional blown cartridge case, which is why many guys just put them away after that happens.

Honestly, I don't know why so many people love the 308 so much. The 7 mm Mauser cartridge is a excellent round, more than adequate for anything on this continent. Karamojo Bell preferred the 7 mm over the 6.5 x 54 mm round for penetration on Elephant skulls when hunting them and I would think that if the old 175 gn 7 mm round can cruise on through a bull Elephant's skull it should be more than sufficient as a North American hunting round. IMO and just sayin'......
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 07:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to JimP. Send a message via Yahoo to JimP.

read article, m93 is strong enough for 308....7,62 mil ammo is best...rem 150 gr to hunt with....jap arisaka action was strongest unable to get it to come apart due to normal cartridge pressures....if my rifle, i would only shoot mil 7,62 ammo.....use different rifle for hunting. m91 split bridge action was weakest....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page