I bought a new toy just now. - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!
Default I bought a new toy just now.

A little old man from a near by town called me this afternoon and asked me if I was interested in buying any guns. I gave him the usual answer...."absolutely not, I got to many already"....followed by, "What ya selling?" "Nope don't need a model 12, nope I don't need a Firestorm 380." "What's that you say, a like new Ruger Mini 14 with a scope for $500?" Hmmm now the old boy had my attention. I asked, "What kind of scope and what's the first 3 digits of the serial number?" It took him 15 minutes to get the gun and I'm sure I heard a toilet flush just prior to his coming back on the phone. He said, "The serial number starts with 583 and the scope is a Zeiss Dialect 6X." I said, "Yes sir, I will give you $500 for the Mini 14. I met him at I80 on my lunch hour and it's now mine.

New guns usually don't excite me a lot but I'm kinda like a kid with a new toy concerning this one. I got right on the WWW. and order 5 of the Ruger factory 20 round magazines.

I have had a couple of these in the past and the one shot decent but the other sucked(no other way to put it). I have been hearing real good things about the recent production Minis. A buddy says his will shoot 1.25 inches with most ammo. I'll take that since the one bad one that I owned(early production) would barely keep 10 shots on a pie plate at 100 yards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 05:31 PM

Gun Cabinet

Did not say what the price was on the 12 but they are increasing in value all the time.

Deaconllb

U S Air Force Korean vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defence Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 05:45 PM

You didn't even ask about the Model 12? I hope Roy pees on you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neckisred View Post
You didn't even ask about the Model 12? I hope Roy pees on you.
He knows better! I have too many shotguns and have only touched 3 of them in the last 5 years. When it's pheasant season I touch two of them almost every day. They are a couple of beauties too. A matched pair of beat to heck Mossberg 500s. One in 20 ga and one in 12 ga. They are mighty slayers of fezunts but also can hold down barbed wire fences whilst I throw my leg over without fear of leaving anything hanging in the top wire and they aren't bashful about doubling as a club should Roy go to wrestling with a coyote or such. Besides my trigger pulling finger got busted up pretty good in an altercation years back and these days it doesn't do so good with those little push button safeties. A thumb safety is much more to my liking.....enter those Mossberg 500s. I usually take some flack from my son's high dollar clients when they come hunting. Bennellis, Perazzis, Citoris.........yawn! It's fun to watch those guys cuddle their guns like babies when we hit a briar patch! Not me I lead with my gun! I also have a H&R Topper 12 ga that I take on occasion.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 08:39 AM

Congrats on the new Ruger, I hope its a shooter. I have a pretty good collection of Model 12's and couldn't tell you the last time I fired one.The 28ga is the only one I don't have. I imagine my 40 year dream of finding a 28ga for a few hundred bucks is about over.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neckisred View Post
Congrats on the new Ruger, I hope its a shooter. I have a pretty good collection of Model 12's and couldn't tell you the last time I fired one.The 28ga is the only one I don't have. I imagine my 40 year dream of finding a 28ga for a few hundred bucks is about over.
I suggest you buy what you want. Sure as shooting canít take it with you...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Today, 06:23 AM

I liked model 12s and hunted a few in my younger days. Until I found a nice tight model 97. All the 12s have gone away but the 97 still lives here.

Of course I have more doubles than anything.

Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Today, 06:45 AM

I too would have grabbed the 12. Ive got one in 12 and 20 and still use the 20 more then any other shotgun I have. Ive got a 97 too and like pastor love the heck out of it but I don't shoot it like I used to. I worry about it breaking parts and finding original parts for it and its in such nice shape I hate to bang it around. Also have a 87 that was my grandpas and to me its about the coolest shotgun ever made. But for working gun that still a classic a model 12 fits the bill. Kind of like deer hunting with a pre 64 70. If it were me id have bought the mini. Sold the scope and took the money and bought the model 12. A 10k scope isn't going to make a mini shoot small groups. Ive had a number of minis through the years and never bothered even scoping any of them. I put on scopes for attempts at load development but about found that futile too. I use them for what there good at. Pounding targets at 50 yards. Gave up trying to get one to shoot like a bolt or ar15. I think a scope on a mini looks but ugly too.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in