Any Mini 14 fans out there? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!
Default Any Mini 14 fans out there?

I shot 50 rounds through mine last night just to make sure it still functions. It will shoot 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards all day long with 40 grain Hornady VMaxes loaded on top of 22 grains of IMR 4198.

Remember back in the early days of the Mini 14? You were lucky if you could keep a full magazine on a pie plate at 100 yards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 03:31 PM

I had to have one, I don't know what attracted me to the darn things but I just wanted one since the late 80s. For the longest time they were not really known for accuracy, and the price was outrageous for a rifle known for large groups. But a great deal fell in my lap a year or two ago and I have noticed that, at least this one, is not as bad as I had read about them. Maybe the newer ones have been made better or something but it shoot pretty good as long as I do my part. I shoot mostly milsurp, and it eats it up just fine, even if I change the weight of the bullet it stays within the 1.5 - 2 MOA at 100 yards.

"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 04:33 PM

Gun Cabinet

I had one many moons ago, and I liked it fine.

The wicked shall be turned into Hades, and all the nations that forget God. For the needy shall not alway be forgotten: the expectation of the poor shall not perish for ever. Psalm 9:17, 18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 08:00 PM

Years ago I had a pair new in the box that I acquired in a trade. Sold them during a gun scare (Reagan era?) for crazy money.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 12:01 PM

Neat little rifles. Sold mine years back but it was reliable and fun to shoot.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 07:24 AM

Bought a Ranch Rifle back in the early 1980's, and put a lot of ammo thru it. I liked the ease of scope mounting on the Ranch version. Never a target gun, it would group between 2 and 3 inches at 100 yards, depending on what I fed it. Always reliable, fun to shoot, and wish I had kept it. I did add a Choate folding stock to make it easier to carry behind the seat of my truck, and a scope in quick detach mounts.

Pictured below with my HK-91 in its "range travel case".

Larry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190813_0017_NEW.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	979.6 KB
ID:	234884  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190813_0022_NEW.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	352.1 KB
ID:	234886  

Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one. The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 08:03 PM

I have only seen one shoot good. It had a bipod on it and he was using a 62gn bullet
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swim-with-beavers View Post
I have only seen one shoot good. It had a bipod on it and he was using a 62gn bullet

A couple years ago, I was at the range with a guy shooting next to me. He had a newer version of the mini-14, I believe the factory target version with the heavier barrel, and what looked like an adjustable barrel weight near the muzzle. He was shooting solid 1 inch groups at 100 yards. Impressive for a mini-14.

Larry

Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one. The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 07:18 PM

I once called ruger about the mini 14 they said if will give a 1 1/2 group at 50 yard its good enough for them
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 08:30 PM

What was the semi auto Ruger made in .44 mag? Always wanted that one as a kid.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page