Hardened Arms Grendel - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 11:21 PM

New to an AR. I got lucky with a BCA this year, and gambled on a 20" ss upper and it shoots real good.

Have you shot anything with the 129 ablr yet? I see the minimum velocity is only 1300fps.

I used 100 Nos bt in a 17" 260rem for several years, and they killed deer like lightening. Probably the best drt combo I have ever used. But I do like spine and neck shots when possible. They say 1800fps minimum on them, but they always did fine for me out to 300yd plus.

Life is busy, so I may just use factory loads this year. The 123sst is shooting good, and a buddy killed 3 deer last year with them. What I hate is, 3 boiler room shots and 3 different results. Bang flop on mature doe, 200yd runner on a yearling, and 50yd dash on a big buck. I know all deer react differently, but would like to hear more consistency.

T/C Encores. Smokeless Savage and Remington muzzleloaders. Excalibur and Ten Point Crossbows
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadeer View Post
New to an AR. I got lucky with a BCA this year, and gambled on a 20" ss upper and it shoots real good.

Have you shot anything with the 129 ablr yet? I see the minimum velocity is only 1300fps.

I used 100 Nos bt in a 17" 260rem for several years, and they killed deer like lightening. Probably the best drt combo I have ever used. But I do like spine and neck shots when possible. They say 1800fps minimum on them, but they always did fine for me out to 300yd plus.

Life is busy, so I may just use factory loads this year. The 123sst is shooting good, and a buddy killed 3 deer last year with them. What I hate is, 3 boiler room shots and 3 different results. Bang flop on mature doe, 200yd runner on a yearling, and 50yd dash on a big buck. I know all deer react differently, but would like to hear more consistency.

Took it hunting last year, but by the time gun season rolled around I really didn't need any meat so I did not give it a try on a doe and didn't see a buck worth shooting. Hopefully I will get to use it this year. All reports I read about that 129 ablr from the Grendel seem to be great.

Glad you got lucky with BCA. I returned 4 of their barreled uppers before throwing in the towel.

Still living under the curse, but one of these days I will shed this body, be clothed with an immortal one, and everything will be good.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 11:03 AM

I seen the 129 ablr at Cabelas for $62.99. I couldn't bring myself to buy a box. Also seen my beloved 100 nos bt for $24.99. Couldnt see spending that much difference. Then realized later they were boxed as 100 and 50 respectively. So, it's only $12.99 difference, because of qty. Didn't see that at first. Duh. Lol

T/C Encores. Smokeless Savage and Remington muzzleloaders. Excalibur and Ten Point Crossbows
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadeer View Post
I seen the 129 ablr at Cabelas for $62.99. I could bring myself to buy a box. Also seen my beloved 100 nos bt for $24.99. Couldnt see spending that much difference. Then realized later they were boxed as 100 and 50 respectively. So, it's only $12.99 difference, because of qty. Didn't see that at first. Duh. Lol
WOW!!

I just got my backordered 2 boxes of the ablr from Bass Pro (they will backorder and Cabela's won't) not very long ago for $38.99 a box! Sounds like I need to make them last!

Still living under the curse, but one of these days I will shed this body, be clothed with an immortal one, and everything will be good.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 01:13 PM

Omegahunter,

Keep an eye on shooters pro shop. they carry Nosler overruns and cosmetic seconds, and what they have in stock is normally about the best price around - currently $40 per hundred on blem 129gr ABLR.

Terry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page