Self defense guns - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet
Default Self defense guns

I see this section is for AR/AK/etc./ and Self Defense Guns, but don't see any Pump action self defense Shotguns mentioned here. I have a Mossberg 590M and would like to see and exchange some discussions on this gun. Is this the right sight or can I find it elswhare ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 02:09 PM

There is nothing wrong with a Mossberg pump for home defense or self defense. Double action bars and a tang mounted safety. I prefer the Mossy over others.

"...And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat." Acts 10:13
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 07:56 AM

id say a short barreled 12 guage loaded with buck is about the quintessential home defense gun.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 08:06 AM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipyrek View Post
I see this section is for AR/AK/etc./ and Self Defense Guns, but don't see any Pump action self defense Shotguns mentioned here. I have a Mossberg 590M and would like to see and exchange some discussions on this gun. Is this the right sight or can I find it elswhare ?
Good reliable shotgun. #6, or even 7 1/2 birdshot for home defense is devastating at room size distances, safer for family members in adjoining rooms, or next door neighbors.

"REPUBLIC OF TEXAS"!
To The Politician: if your not right with God, your not right for this country.
Phil Robertson, Duck Dynasty
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipyrek View Post
How is you 590M outfitted? I have a 86 500A camper special that came with a 26" bird barrel and a 18-1/2" smooth cylinder bore barrel with the pistol grip and sling.

Real trucks dont have spark plugs.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 10:21 AM

Gun Cabinet

I saw a test once on Arms List where they compaired the 500 to the Remington 870 and the test showed that what it really came down too was personal choice There may be a little more stuff for the 500 but both are great I got the 870 love it

Deacvonllb

U S Air Force Korean vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defence Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 11:05 AM

I love the Remington 870 - always have, and always will. Years ago, it would have been my top pick for a pump shotgun. However, since Remington sold out and started cheapening things up, I think the Mossberg would definitely be my top choice today.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 11:17 AM
Dee

My 870 was a shotgun I rebuilt especially for myself and police business.
It saw many a search warrant, felony stops, and man hunts. It now resides somewhere in North Carolina with my youngest son, as do my other personal weaponry with he and his older brother.
My home defense shotgun is a Model 1100 12 gauge I rebuilt with a fiber optic front rifle sight, and Remington rear rifle sight, and a screw in modified choke. The barrell length is 21".
I keep it loaded at home with BBs in an Express load, and #4 buck magnum for travelling. Always in 2 3/4" for reliable feeding.

"REPUBLIC OF TEXAS"!
To The Politician: if your not right with God, your not right for this country.
Phil Robertson, Duck Dynasty

Last edited by Dee; 03-11-2019 at 11:30 AM.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 07:03 AM

my bedroom gun is an 18 1/2 in 500 Mossberg open choked with 3 inch OO for the first two and the rest slugs. It wears a flashlight and an aim point micro. Only penetration im conserned about is those pellets penetrating the home invader. Just me and the wife and I could care less if they punch through a wall. No fine shot for me. At least up here in the winter. that invader might be wearing 4 or 5 layers of clothes if hes had to make it out in the cold.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 07:45 AM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd smale View Post
Only penetration im conserned about is those pellets penetrating the home invader. Just me and the wife and I could care less if they punch through a wall. No fine shot for me. At least up here in the winter. that invader might be wearing 4 or 5 layers of clothes if hes had to make it out in the cold.
That, and the shot column from bird shot at room distances isn't likely to have opened up enough to make much difference in penetrating interior walls anyhow. Plenty of penetration tests out there on the internet to confirm that. Counter-intuitively, a good hollow point or polymer point / self-defense .223/5.56 bullet in an AR is less likely to retain enough energy after passing through two interior walls to cause significant damage to an innocent on the other side, making an AR carbine a solid home defense option.

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Rifle & Pistol Instructor

Are you an Ohioan that is interested in becoming more active in the fight for your 2A rights? PM me or click here!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page