did i tell you i love this gun. - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Default did i tell you i love this gun.

put together a psa parts 300 bo 16 inch gun. Ive been having a ball with it. It shoots cast bullets (130 rcbs gc spitzer pc coated) into about an 1 1/2 at 50 yards and 3 inch at a 100. Not tack driving accuracy but plenty good to pound steel targets out at a 100 yards. Shoots 130 nos bts into a 1 1/2 at a 100 and tsx 110s into an inch. cool thing is it hits as hard or harder then a 556 using about 20 percent less powder and bullets for the price of a gas check. Not quite as cheap as shooting my 9mm ars but they don't hit near as hard. Cheap enough that unlike a 556 I don't cringe at shooting 500 rounds in a day. Im going to use it this year at camp for deer season. That is unless I get ahead a bit on my gun money and can put together a 8.5 ar pistol in 300 before then.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 09:11 AM

I've been thinking about an upper in that caliber for a time. It seems it would be interesting but I've been frying other fish in the firearms world lately and haven't finished the fry yet. Maybe later this year. Enjoy your new toy.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 02:30 PM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd smale View Post
put together a psa parts 300 bo 16 inch gun. ....

Lloyd,

What's the barrel twist rate?

Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 05:19 AM Thread Starter

this ones a 1-8 but they make it 1-7 too. I went with the 1-8 because I really doubt ill ever get into shooting it subsonic. If I wanted sub sonic id wait till I got the shorter barreled pistol so it isn't so ungainly in length.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 05:33 AM

I'm intrigued; how did you arrive at the 20% less figure? I've got a 556 upper I'm going to sell and a 300 upper would be a good replacement of its cheap to cast and reload for.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 06:33 AM Thread Starter

a typical 556 load uses 22-25 grains of powder. Bo uses 17-20 for a full power load. that's 20 percent less cost in powder. Not only that but bullets are free or almost free. I cast my own out of lead I got for free so the cost is the electricity to heat the pot and a maybe buck a thousand for powder coat paint. You can shoot cast in a 556 too. Ive done it but gave up after about 2k trying to find a load that would even stay on a sheet of paper at a 100 yards. This gun shot 3 inch at a 100 with one day of load development and id be I could near cut that in half if I worked at it. But its not worth the bother to me. Its good enough to hit steel at a hundred yards or hit a 2 legged animal. Although its not an ideal whitetail gun in my opinion it would get it done out to a 100 yards. Some say 200 but I think that's a stretch. In my mind a little 8.5 inch ar pistol with a brace on it would make about an ideal deer rifle up here where its extremely rare to get a shot where our camp is that's over 75 yards. Same gun would make a fantastic home defense gun. Loaded with a fragile bullet if overpenetration is important to you. (its not to me) Where it shines in that senerio over a 556 is it has MUCH less muzzle blast and noise and those bigger bullets are just going to take the fight out of someone faster. I still love my 9mm ar15s. Why? because they are even cheaper to shoot and still make viable home defense guns. But the BO shoots the same weight bullet twice as fast and is still much cheaper to shoot then the 556 and is a viable hunting gun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamnelson View Post
I'm intrigued; how did you arrive at the 20% less figure? I've got a 556 upper I'm going to sell and a 300 upper would be a good replacement of its cheap to cast and reload for.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 09:31 PM

I had also noted that the 300BO just looks real good for a AR-15 pistol with a brace. Next thing you know, we spot a PSA deal on a 8.5" 300 BO pistol kit with the nicer brace. So for the last 3 weeks, I have been working on getting ASBB HF Red PC coated cast bullets to work.

Feeding was a major problem for short bullets with the standard M4 feed ramps. I did some work on the feed ramps, and improved short bullet feeding, but it is still not great.

My Lee 170s seemed to work better and the longer the round the better they worked. Feeding is just "better" when the tip bullet of the bullet is inside the chamber before the rear of the round is released by the magazine. I do not use gas checks so the long seating (base of bullet even with base on neck) did not have the brass holding the bullet as secure as I wanted. I cut the gas check step out of one cavity and now I have a "Lee 180" plain base that is looking like a good fit for this application.

Last edited by P Flados; 05-22-2019 at 09:59 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

two bullets I was told were the ones for the bo were the 175 lyman flat nose gas check and the 155 lee. I didn't have real good luck with either for accuracy or reliability. I was searching around for the answer on the internet and ran into a few recommendations for the 130 rcbs spitzer gas check. It runs abosolutely a 100 percent in my gun. One bobble the gun made on it was one round that the primer fell out of because the primer pocket was to loose and I shouldn't have even used it. Ive put as many as 300 in a session out of it. I wasn't to interested in heavys for it. I built it for a hunting gun and wont shoot it subsonic anyway. I really like the 130 because its shoots to the same point of aim for the most part as jacketed hunting bullets do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page