Graybeard Outdoors

Graybeard Outdoors (https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php)
-   ARs/AKs/SKS/Class III Tactical/Self Defense Guns/Suppressors (https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/53-ars-aks-sks-class-iii-tactical-self-defense-guns-suppressors.html)
-   -   Need to mod an AR mag for 1.7" cartridge (https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/53-ars-aks-sks-class-iii-tactical-self-defense-guns-suppressors/396008-need-mod-ar-mag-1-7-cartridge.html)

briannmilewis 05-27-2019 04:10 AM

Need to mod an AR mag for 1.7" cartridge

1 Attachment(s)
Created a wildcat called 223 Short/22 Mamba - based on 1.135" 223 case with maximum cartridge length of 1.70". Just had an AR chambered. Standard AR 10 round magazine will feed 5 or less cases without issue. If more than 5, one will inevitably be tilted up and fail to feed and get jammed by the bolt. Two magazines, one with new stiff spring and older one with significantly less spring tension does the same thing.

The only solutions I can imagine is a much lighter spring so tilting is not exacerbated by spring tension, or in some way, extend feed lips 3/8 to 1/2" to prevent the tilting.

My realm of experience is in the bolt world, the ARs are new to me, even though there are issues with bolt magazines that are not 221 Fireball size.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, especially, experience trying to feed 22 TCMs in a standard AR would be directly related. Otherwise, do I just get out the hacksaw, metal cutters, files and polymer glues and experiment?

Thanks so much.

gene_225 05-27-2019 05:32 AM

Take a look at how magazines are designed for the Mossberg Model 44US so they can take 22 Short. The Winchester Model 69 & 69A had a separate magazine which accomplished the same thing on a permanent basis; that would be worth a look as well.

lloyd smale 05-27-2019 06:27 AM

wonder if one of the dedicated 300 bo mags would work? Lancer and magpul make them. Both helped the feeding of my bo. Hear a lot claim the lancers are better but both work equally well in my gun.

briannmilewis 05-28-2019 02:31 AM

Thanks for the input, it inspired me to just now look at the 30 M1 Carbine round specs, and it is darn near the same dimensions. So, an adapter or lower for an M1 Carbine round would do it, as long as there was no bolt mods needed, may work straight off. As rare as hens teeth, jackalopes, unicorns and rainbows?

Moose Ears 05-28-2019 07:15 AM

Mags are the Achilles Heal of AR15 wildcats. That shortened case is going to be a real challenge because of the dead space the round has to travel before going into the chamber. It gives it too much room to get out of place and cause jams. You will most likely need to extend the feed lips somehow. Maybe spot weld some flaps to the existing lips? A mini tig rig and a good welder will be needed.

moleman 05-28-2019 10:29 AM

Can you add a 3/8"- 7/16" spacer at the front of the magazine that runs all the way down. It will need a new spring made and a feed ramp cut into it

moleman 05-28-2019 10:39 AM

The little added feed ramp keeps the rounds from plowing into the front of the mag or the spacer

lloyd smale 05-29-2019 05:55 AM

I thought the same thing when I looked at the first mag of blackout I loaded. Way to short and way to much space to jump. Learned it didn't cause an issue. Just for grins ive loaded mags fast where all the bullets aren't all the way back and didn't give it the "Helmet tap" and they still run a 100percent. Now that is where standard ar mags can give some trouble with the bo. There are little nubs in the magazine that the bullets kind of ride on. With 30 cal bullets in a 556 mag it kind of has them feeding cockeyed. Have rounds in different positions in the mag and it can make it worse. File the nubbys down so that 30 cal bullets feed out of the mag straight or get dedicated bo mags that with some companys even have a slightly different follower and the problems go away. Problem you may be seeing is at 1.7 your substantialy shorter then even a blackout and the bullet might not even be riding on those nubs. The dedicated bo mags have then relocated a little further back so they may be in the correct place but thinking on it there only long enough to hit 30 cal bullets and might not hit your 223 bullets anyway. Take a look at your mags as you load them. Are the bullets staying straight in the mag or do they have a tendency to go sideways slightly. I wonder if youd be better off with a 762x39 ar15 lower and ak mags? but then I doubt the mags would hold the skinnier rounds without a lot of work and the right follower. Guess you can allways go the easy route and rechamber that barrel to 556 :tango_face_wink: sometimes a guy has to look at why nobody else has done this and think that maybe its just outside the design limitations of the platform.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moose Ears (Post 2055896972)
Mags are the Achilles Heal of AR15 wildcats. That shortened case is going to be a real challenge because of the dead space the round has to travel before going into the chamber. It gives it too much room to get out of place and cause jams. You will most likely need to extend the feed lips somehow. Maybe spot weld some flaps to the existing lips? A mini tig rig and a good welder will be needed.

briannmilewis 05-31-2019 12:57 AM

Did find a 30 M1 Carbine AR on YouTube, and the guy had made a custom magazine. So the hunt for that is on.

30 Carbine AR YouTube.

gene_225 05-31-2019 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moleman (Post 2055897040)
Can you add a 3/8"- 7/16" spacer at the front of the magazine that runs all the way down. It will need a new spring made and a feed ramp cut into it

Look at the two mags I mentioned above for how that was done on the Mossberg 44 US and the Winchester 69 & 69A.
gene