AR buffer question - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
p51

Default AR buffer question

I have an AR I bought a few years ago, can't recall the name of the company right now.
But it had the same type of buffer my Army-issued M-16A2 did.
I went to the range and found the end of the buffer was made from some type of hard plastic and it'd shattered. The rest of the buffer was fine and the rifle still fired.
I want to get another buffer but to be honest, my only experience with an AR platform was in the military. The local gun store has buffers for sale that are about half the length of the one that came with mine and the guy at the store says that's one for an M-4 styled AR platform but it can be used in a full-rifle-length one.
Is that correct? Wouldn't I have to at least swap out the main spring for a longer one to allow for the difference in length?

"When all else fails, call for indirect fire on your position, AND GET THE **** OUT!"
-Exact words of one of my 'call for fire' class instructors.
Former US Army Ordnance officer and lover of all things what go BOOM!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 08:59 AM

just buy the rifle length buffer. Your spring will be to short in a rifle length tube. couple here for under 20 bucks https://www.primaryarms.com/MCategories+AR-15-Buffers. Id get a new spring too because if you buffer end piece shattered theres a good chance its bottoming out to hard. Now if your ar is a retractable stock model you have the wrong buffer in it and that's why its pound against the end of the buffer tube.
Quote:
Originally Posted by p51 View Post
I have an AR I bought a few years ago, can't recall the name of the company right now.
But it had the same type of buffer my Army-issued M-16A2 did.
I went to the range and found the end of the buffer was made from some type of hard plastic and it'd shattered. The rest of the buffer was fine and the rifle still fired.
I want to get another buffer but to be honest, my only experience with an AR platform was in the military. The local gun store has buffers for sale that are about half the length of the one that came with mine and the guy at the store says that's one for an M-4 styled AR platform but it can be used in a full-rifle-length one.
Is that correct? Wouldn't I have to at least swap out the main spring for a longer one to allow for the difference in length?

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!

Last edited by lloyd smale; 07-24-2019 at 09:04 AM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
p51

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd smale View Post
just buy the rifle length buffer. Your spring will be to short in a rifle length tube. couple here for under 20 bucks https://www.primaryarms.com/MCategories+AR-15-Buffers. Id get a new spring too because if you buffer end piece shattered theres a good chance its bottoming out to hard. Now if your ar is a retractable stock model you have the wrong buffer in it and that's why its pound against the end of the buffer tube.
Thanks, that makes sense.
I can order from various places, but if it really made no difference, there's a M4 length buffer for sale at a store about 5 miles from my house.
Mine is a non-collapsible stock, copy of a M-16A2 with full stocks. That's why I bought it, as I'd wanted a semi-auto version of what I carried in the Army (I was an officer but never carried a sidearm and never wanted to).
I'll get a new buffer and spring, just in case. I also thought that maybe it was bottoming out from a weak spring.

"When all else fails, call for indirect fire on your position, AND GET THE **** OUT!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 03:46 PM

Gun Cabinet

heavyist buffer you can use
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 08:01 AM

the heaviest buffer you can use isn't wrong but just know that if your running the heaviest possible buffer and spring that still allows bolt lock back and your playing around doing a mag dump you can actually run the trigger faster then the bolt can run and will get stoppages. I like an h or h1. any heavier in a 556 or 300 bo and your gun can get sluggish. Because it slows down it can also cause maginal ammo to not go fully into battery. My favorite set up with a ar 556 or 300 bo pistol or rife using full power loads is an H buffer and a 308 ar10 carbine spring. Gives a bit more weight to cushion things and the heavier spring speeds up bolt return and chambering power. Where the real mystical propertys of buffers and springs comes in is tuning a blow back ar.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
p51

Thanks for the info, everyone.
I found a good buffer/spring deal at another local gun store, just $20.
Haven't shot it yet, though.
As for quick mag dumps and such, I'm not shooting competition with it or using it in the military, I just got it as I'd wanted a legal version of the M16A2 I carried on active duty...

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 03:07 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to justonemorear

If you knock out the roll pin you can add or remove weight w/o purchasing a new one.
Been doing it for over 20yrs. Most issues are w/ the pistol calibers and barrels under 10"

When it absolutely needs to be there, reload

Pareo Nullus (Obey None)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 03:39 PM

As others have stated, use a rifle length buffer in a fixed stock like the A1 or A2. If you use a carbine/M4 buffer the carrier can go back further than intended and the back of the gas key will hit the lower receiver in the top of the buffer tower as well as possibly hitting the charging handle. Kak and other places have the rubber buffer ends for about $1. I make my own heavy 9mm buffers as I think it's crazy to pay what they're going for when they have less than $5 in materials in them.

350 Legend, Imitation is the highest form of flattery. Aww, Thanks Winchester!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
p51

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonemorear View Post
If you knock out the roll pin you can add or remove weight w/o purchasing a new one.
Been doing it for over 20yrs. Most issues are w/ the pistol calibers and barrels under 10"
Well, as I always have posted, I have already bought a new buffer and spring, so this is a moot point.
And I bought a rifle-length buffer, grateful that having shot (and disassembled) M-16 rifles, I could immediately realize that using an carbine-length one didn't make much sense.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page