good reasonably priced trigger - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Default good reasonably priced trigger

Had a few of psa upgrade ept triggers. There better then mis spec but still to heavy for precision work. they had a sale on there 2 stage triggers last week. They were 60 bucks (probably the same price all the time) so I bought one. It has a 2lb take up then a crisp 2 lb break. Real nice trigger for 60 bucks. I bought two more and put then in guns this morning. One is the same 2lb 2lb crisp break the other is the same with just a smidge of creap but still not near what there ept trigger has and light years better then a milspec. If you ever shot a 2 stage rock river this trigger is similar but the second stage on the two rock river triggers I have break at 3.5

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 06:16 PM

Have you added one of these to get rid of the creep?
There may be cheaper ones, or if you have a lathe you can make your own but it works good. it just replaces the grip screw, and of course the hole has to go all the way through the lower receiver.
AR Trigger Adjuster

Or just do this, same concept except the set screw goes in before you install the grip, and you may have to trim the grip screw:

I like the first option, since you don't have to worry about the grip screw screw, and you can adjust the screw that touches the trigger without removing the grip.

"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 12:07 AM

Thanks for the info, I've been eyeing those for some time. I have a geissele in my favorite AR, but they are a little pricey to put in most builds.

Gentlemen you can't fight in here, this is the war room. Lifetime member of shootin stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

yes I have. They do take some of the creep out especially if you have a low shelf gun. High shelf lowers though tend to bind up the safety well before any substantial creep is removed. The also don't work with stage trigger. they work completely different then a single stage. Before the cheap 2 stage or the ept triggers I used to use the screw and put a reduced power spring kit in mil spec triggers and they were to bad. But don't even bother trying it unless you bob the back of the hammer off or your going to get unreliable primer ignition. I don't know why but I have a fear of taking a file to a trigger. Use to be a guy who did ar triggers. You sent him your trigger group and 30 bucks and he did a great job. You got back a nice crisp 2.5 to 3lb single stage trigger. I wish I would have saved his contact info. He did 4 triggers for me and 3 of them are still going. For some reason the trigger he did for my ar22 smith went full auto so I threw it in the garbage can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-mega View Post
Have you added one of these to get rid of the creep?
There may be cheaper ones, or if you have a lathe you can make your own but it works good. it just replaces the grip screw, and of course the hole has to go all the way through the lower receiver.
AR Trigger Adjuster

Or just do this, same concept except the set screw goes in before you install the grip, and you may have to trim the grip screw:

I like the first option, since you don't have to worry about the grip screw screw, and you can adjust the screw that touches the trigger without removing the grip.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd smale View Post
yes I have. They do take some of the creep out especially if you have a low shelf gun. High shelf lowers though tend to bind up the safety well before any substantial creep is removed. The also don't work with stage trigger. they work completely different then a single stage. Before the cheap 2 stage or the ept triggers I used to use the screw and put a reduced power spring kit in mil spec triggers and they were to bad. But don't even bother trying it unless you bob the back of the hammer off or your going to get unreliable primer ignition. I don't know why but I have a fear of taking a file to a trigger. Use to be a guy who did ar triggers. You sent him your trigger group and 30 bucks and he did a great job. You got back a nice crisp 2.5 to 3lb single stage trigger. I wish I would have saved his contact info. He did 4 triggers for me and 3 of them are still going. For some reason the trigger he did for my ar22 smith went full auto so I threw it in the garbage can.
That is an issue with polishing the trigger wrong, and sometimes polishing off the hardness from the contact surfaces, accelerates the trigger wear. And in extreme cases you get what you experienced, a runaway. I've polished mine, but only ever so slightly using flitz, but polished triggers are not much more than standard triggers so I just get those now. I've never needed anything better than that, though I've used a couple high-end triggers, I didn't think they were good enough to spend on.

"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Ya most of my ars are plinkers and self defense guns and an upgraded trigger like a polished ept palmetto are plenty good. Only guns I want better in are guns im actually going to hunt with. But that said I still cant tolerate a mil spec trigger with its 10 lb pull and a 1/2 in of creep!

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 05:34 PM

I stone the mil-spec triggers and use the yellow springs (JB?) and the set screw. There are a few good YouTube videos on this. My triggers are around 3# and very nice. I'm pretty particular about having a nice trigger in everything. Mine have held up well with no primer strike problems, but they have not seen many rounds.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

one other advantage to a 2 stage trigger is for self defense. Some believe that that little bit of take up goes along ways toward stopping accidental discharges and still allows for precise shooting. I don't know if I go for it or not because your finger shouldn't be on a trigger until you want to shoot. But that said I could see in an all out gun battle where a crisp 2 lb trigger could be to light. I think a good 4-5lb trigger without creep is plenty good for a working gun. Like I said when it comes to shooting a deer at 200 yards then I want a better trigger but you and I sure aren't going to become snipers and need it on a self defense gun. Like omega said too. Whats a good trigger today might not be after 5k of rounds at the range when you do need it some night. Its why the sear surface on most after market triggers are hardened or coated. One other thing to keep in mind is if your not like me and shoot at a private range and you do use a public one and your gun decides to go full tilt on you that your broke a federal law and could go to jail for it. Especially if they can prove you stoned on it or filed it. When my 22 went full auto I was at a public range. Just my luck as I go there only about twice a year. The range officer knew me and didn't call the police but did ask me to immediately leave his range with that gun. Like I said I could get that trigger out and in the trash fast enough.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 08:27 AM

Good advice and much appreciated. I'm sure you and most others shoot your AR's more in one range session than I will shoot mine in my lifetime. I'll definitely keep this in mind. I'm way too pretty for prison.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 03:35 PM

Have you tried a Larue trigger. They are very good.

Don & man's best friend
Still looking at the green side of sod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page