5.56 deer - Page 3 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 08:55 AM

I ended up shooting 5 does with 300 bo's. One buck with a 8.5 beo pistol and two does with 556 ars this year. My plans for next years crop damage shooting is ALL ars. Ive got a new 308 ar10 build and a 6.5 Grendel half done that will be my main guns for next year. If money doesn't come to hard I might try to get a creedmore built by then too. I still love wood and nice bluing but ive become a real believer in AR's too. I know one thing. My 8.5 black out will from here on out be probably my most used gun in normal deer season. Its accurate and real handy in a blind.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd smale View Post
I ended up shooting 5 does with 300 bo's. One buck with a 8.5 beo pistol and two does with 556 ars this year. My plans for next years crop damage shooting is ALL ars. Ive got a new 308 ar10 build and a 6.5 Grendel half done that will be my main guns for next year. If money doesn't come to hard I might try to get a creedmore built by then too. I still love wood and nice bluing but ive become a real believer in AR's too. I know one thing. My 8.5 black out will from here on out be probably my most used gun in normal deer season. Its accurate and real handy in a blind.
I'm sold on ARs for deer now. If I ever get picked for our moose lottery I'll either buy a 450 Bushmaster upper or get an AR-10.

I'm a big fan of 300 Blackout as well, that's what my son uses.

What bullet did you use for the 5.56 does? I used the 60 grain Nosler that you recommended a couple years ago.

Liberal Logic 101:
Americans shall be required to submit to a background check to exercise a right already guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment while any foreigner shall be allowed into America without submitting to a background check.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 08:11 AM

actually used the 65 grain sierra prohunter. The ar I used didn't like partitions at all. The prohunter is a newer bullet and I saw real high praises for it on line. It worked great but one kill is certainly not enough for me to really pass judgement and im not a big fan of 556s on deer so more kills will come slowly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

After seeing the Partition in action I'll stick with it. I definitely wouldn't use the 5.56 on any long range hunts but for in the woods up close and personal I was very happy with the results.

Liberal Logic 101:
Americans shall be required to submit to a background check to exercise a right already guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment while any foreigner shall be allowed into America without submitting to a background check.
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 09:03 AM

partition in the 556 has never let me down. Only downside to it is it can be a finiky bullet and not all my ars like it. the sierra seems to be much easier to find accuracy with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublebass73 View Post
After seeing the Partition in action I'll stick with it. I definitely wouldn't use the 5.56 on any long range hunts but for in the woods up close and personal I was very happy with the results.

post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 10:20 AM

I've put down 5 bucks and numerous does with the 60gr Partition. I'm really impressed with it's performance. Shot placement is crucial but my results have been similar to yours. No tracking skills needed. Congrats on taking a fine buck.

Professional critter chaser
Go WVU Mountaineers!
Hey, our mascot carries a muzzleloader!
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman54 View Post
I've put down 5 bucks and numerous does with the 60gr Partition. I'm really impressed with it's performance. Shot placement is crucial but my results have been similar to yours. No tracking skills needed. Congrats on taking a fine buck.
Thanks! I had smoked backstraps wrapped in bacon the other night, cooked medium rare. Some of the best venison I've ever had.

Liberal Logic 101:
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 12:09 PM

At least you know what you are doing. A lot of moron's who hunt with AR's have no clue and think that the 20-30 round mag with 55 grain ball ammo is all you need and shot placement be dammned. We found a nice 8 point buck a week after it was shot with 3 holes in it ( front leg, gut and rear quarter) from AR guy on public land and also finished off a gut shot 5pt from same guy the day before.

Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the h-ell they please. --John Wayne
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckskin View Post
At least you know what you are doing. A lot of moron's who hunt with AR's have no clue and think that the 20-30 round mag with 55 grain ball ammo is all you need and shot placement be dammned. We found a nice 8 point buck a week after it was shot with 3 holes in it ( front leg, gut and rear quarter) from AR guy on public land and also finished off a gut shot 5pt from same guy the day before.
Is ball ammo even legal in your state for deer? We're not allowed to use it in New Hampshire plus we're limited to 5 round magazines with semi autos for deer. That sucks that there's idiots out there pulling crap like that. A lot of the reputation the .223/5.56 has as being weak on deer is because of idiots like that who spray and spray ball ammo on deer or use varmint bullets for deer. We're not allowed to use ball ammo even on coyotes here.

There's enough .223/5.56 ammo out there designed for deer that there's no excuse for crap like what those idiots did. The ammo manufacturers even put a picture of a deer on the ammo boxes to make it easy for people.

Liberal Logic 101:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page