5.56 deer - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2019, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

Default 5.56 deer

The NH firearms opener was today, I took the day off from work and got out in the woods. It was cold, in the teens and low 20's. Just before lunch this 8 pointer showed up and stopped about 40 yards from me. One shot and he turned to run but fell down immediately. He was able to get up and stagger another 40 yards before laying down, he was done at that point.

Rifle is a 5.56mm 1:9 Stag lefty upper on an Anderson lower. Load was 60 grain Nosler Partition over BL-C(2) powder. This load hits basically the same POI as standard XM193 so I don't have to adjust sights when going from one to the other which is convenient.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	deer.jpeg
Views:	24
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	236466  

Liberal Logic 101:
Americans shall be required to submit to a background check to exercise a right already guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment while any foreigner shall be allowed into America without submitting to a background check.

H&R family: Topper 88 16 Gauge Mod, Pardner 16 gauge Full, Model 480 Topper Jr .410 Full, Handi .300 AAC Blackout
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2019, 07:19 AM

Congratulations!
Uber glove co. makes a great coat out of your hides.

Come quickly, Lord Jesus
Old 11-14-2019, 07:30 AM

Very nice!!!!!!!!!!! How do you like hunting with the AR? This will be my second season using one, and I'm still trying to warm up to them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2019, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by neckisred View Post
Very nice!!!!!!!!!!! How do you like hunting with the AR? This will be my second season using one, and I'm still trying to warm up to them.
I love it especially after seeing how well it performed. It's funny, I was never into ARs because I've always been a blued steel and walnut kinda guy but after buying my first AR and seeing how well I could shoot it offhand with open sights I started hunting exclusively with the AR. It was a good choice because I was standing in the open when that deer came in, I didn't have the opportunity to get into a rested position because he was looking right at me so I took an offhand shot.

Liberal Logic 101:
Americans shall be required to submit to a background check to exercise a right already guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment while any foreigner shall be allowed into America without submitting to a background check.

H&R family: Topper 88 16 Gauge Mod, Pardner 16 gauge Full, Model 480 Topper Jr .410 Full, Handi .300 AAC Blackout
Old 11-14-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublebass73 View Post
I love it especially after seeing how well it performed. It's funny, I was never into ARs because I've always been a blued steel and walnut kinda guy but after buying my first AR and seeing how well I could shoot it offhand with open sights I started hunting exclusively with the AR. It was a good choice because I was standing in the open when that deer came in, I didn't have the opportunity to get into a rested position because he was looking right at me so I took an offhand shot.
I've only been into the AR's for a couple years. They do shoot very well, just awkward to carry for me. Very nice job on the buck, hope your not tagged out.
Old 11-14-2019, 01:23 PM

Nice buck
Old 11-14-2019, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by neckisred View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublebass73 View Post
I've only been into the AR's for a couple years. They do shoot very well, just awkward to carry for me. Very nice job on the buck, hope your not tagged out.
Thanks, I still have a bow tag and my 17 year old son has a firearms tag so there's more hunting to do. Plus my two Labradors are itching to do some upland and waterfowl hunting.

Liberal Logic 101:

Old 11-14-2019, 05:36 PM

Gun Cabinet

Great buck with a great Rifle and round. Congratulations!
Old 11-15-2019, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecanoe View Post
Great buck with a great Rifle and round. Congratulations!
Thanks!

Liberal Logic 101:

Old 11-15-2019, 08:58 AM

Congrats ! Good job..

..But of course, the democrats will tell you, those "assault" rifles are only good for killing people..guess they haven't spoken with your deer !

Personally, I think they are just trying to speak for their friends, the terrorists..

I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion. (Alexander the Great)

Last edited by ironglow; 11-15-2019 at 09:02 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in