Muzzle brakes - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Default Muzzle brakes

I hadnt bought a rifle in 30 years so that was long before threaded barrels became in trend . 2 Years ago I broke down an purchased a American Ruger rifle with a threaded muzzle , so my question is do muzzle brakes really improve your accuracy that you can notice ?

Mice die in traps because they dont understand why the cheese is free .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 08:15 PM

Hi Mcbammer,
I can't say a muzzle brake has ever actually improved a rifles accuracy for me, but for some shooting disciplines, they do help a lot being able to see the bullet hits and keep the the rifle in position for quicker follow up shots. They are very loud and hard on the ears, so I usually don't use them for most hunting situations where I prefer not to use hearing protection. I just use a thread protector on the muzzle threads in the field and check zero on the rifle after changing it.
I do sometimes use a muzzle brake for long range hunting/shooting woodchucks or similar type hunting , where I can wear hearing protection and don't need to use my ears to find the game. They help with seeing the bullet impact in the scope and quickly getting a follow up shot should I misread the wind and flub the shot.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ole timer View Post
Hi Mcbammer,
I can't say a muzzle brake has ever actually improved a rifles accuracy for me, but for some shooting disciplines, they do help a lot being able to see the bullet hits and keep the the rifle in position for quicker follow up shots. They are very loud and hard on the ears, so I usually don't use them for most hunting situations where I prefer not to use hearing protection. I just use a thread protector on the muzzle threads in the field and check zero on the rifle after changing it.
I do sometimes use a muzzle brake for long range hunting/shooting woodchucks or similar type hunting , where I can wear hearing protection and don't need to use my ears to find the game. They help with seeing the bullet impact in the scope and quickly getting a follow up shot should I misread the wind and flub the shot.
I hadnt thought about it being louder , but it stands to reason that the blast being diverted to the sides instead of straight forward would be harder on the ears.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 08:43 PM

I'm late to this as usual but I encounter rifle with brakes on them pretty regularly now at my gun club range. I saw a few last year but many more this year. Brakes are effective at reducing recoil and muzzle jump but create a lot more noise to the sides of the rifle and you can feel the pressure wave from someone shooting a few benches away. I just installed a brake on my AR but haven't shot it yet. I may get to Friday or Saturday if the weatherman is right.

I started using electronic ear protection all the time this year. I've never been able to use ear muffs shooting a rifle and used plugs. I purchased a set of Walker's Razor X ear bud type ear protection this summer and am pleased with it's performance. You can hear what's going on around you plus have protection from loud noises and they are fairly comfortable.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 07:47 AM

it can change accuracy because it can change barrel harmonics. Thing is its just as likely to make the worse as better or vise versa and sometimes changes nothing. But usualy theres at least a change of impact due the the fact theres less barrel rise. So don't think you can put one on for load development to save your shoulder and just take it off to hunt without rechecking your zero. Browning made (don't know if they still do) an adjustable one that you actually could fine tune your gun to your load vs fine tuning the load to the gun. My buddy was a fan and the two he had, a 270 and a 7mag were absolute tack drivers. What he did was worked up a load with it closed and then when he found his best load fooled with tuning the muzzle break. He said in both cases he got improvements.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 12:47 PM

Again 100% Agreement with Lloyd. I had what he said assembled in my head to type out. Thanks man I dont need to! 😉

Something I have discovered. Called a Linear Compensator.

Let
Me back track a bit.. Vaguely admitted, Some years back I was in a situation that I got myself in an explosion. Long story short. Hearing loss was my worst takeaway. The concussive nature of gun fire was something, I simply could not withstand for Most of a year. Even say a book slammed on a desk or a brite light flashed i to across my eyes. Would start me down a spiraling chain of events resulting in a massive migraine headaches, sometimes days long.
As the months passed, things improved and I was better and better. But still today, almost two decades later. I STILL, have problems with high beams directly into my eyes and real loud noise. Muzzle brakes and folks shooting them are AVOIDED! Matches find me with push in plugs AND GOOD QUALITY electronic muffs.

Now to these linear compensators from KAW industries.

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. and the THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
Again 100% Agreement with Lloyd. I had what he said assembled in my head to type out. Thanks man I dont need to! 😉

Something I have discovered. Called a Linear Compensator.

Let
Me back track a bit.. Vaguely admitted, Some years back I was in a situation that I got myself in an explosion. Long story short. Hearing loss was my worst takeaway. The concussive nature of gun fire was something, I simply could not withstand for Most of a year. Even say a book slammed on a desk or a brite light flashed i to across my eyes. Would start me down a spiraling chain of events resulting in a massive migraine headaches, sometimes days long.
As the months passed, things improved and I was better and better. But still today, almost two decades later. I STILL, have problems with high beams directly into my eyes and real loud noise. Muzzle brakes and folks shooting them are AVOIDED! Matches find me with push in plugs AND GOOD QUALITY electronic muffs.

Now to these linear compensators from KAW industries.
Interesting technology , thanks for sharing ,those reminded me of the old cutts compensators for shotguns that have been around for years .

Last edited by mcbammer; 12-06-2019 at 02:32 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 02:43 PM

I was called away mid comment.. apologies.

Anyhow Linear compensators.

Seems odd or not realistic that something that “redirects” muzzle blast forward even is a THING. Cause well bullets come out of the muzzle AWAY from the shooter right!?!?

Well how ever it works, it just does and nearly all that perceived concussive blast is removed. You simply done perceive it. And let me tell ya Im still sensitive to it. I have them on every firearm thats threaded and Just ordered another for my 358 Winchester Ruger American! I believe in these things!! Last christmas I bought one each for two buddies. Now one has five and the other guy three. I have two permanently attached (welded) To short barrels allowing them to be over 16” and they are great!! In pistol caliber stuff with light lo pressure loads they work so well they are almost ear safe! As much as. 22 LR would be anyhow.

This is NOT A SILENCER! No paperwork no legalities what so ever. BIG PLUS is cost. Some muzzle devices are hundreds of dollars!! Not so with these from KAW!! Average is UNDER 50$!!! They are allow aluminum and alloy steel. Not overly heavy and offered in four sizes. Plus magnum offerings now!

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. and the THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
I was called away mid comment.. apologies.

Anyhow Linear compensators.

Seems odd or not realistic that something that “redirects” muzzle blast forward even is a THING. Cause well bullets come out of the muzzle AWAY from the shooter right!?!?

Well how ever it works, it just does and nearly all that perceived concussive blast is removed. You simply done perceive it. And let me tell ya Im still sensitive to it. I have them on every firearm thats threaded and Just ordered another for my 358 Winchester Ruger American! I believe in these things!! Last christmas I bought one each for two buddies. Now one has five and the other guy three. I have two permanently attached (welded) To short barrels allowing them to be over 16” and they are great!! In pistol caliber stuff with light lo pressure loads they work so well they are almost ear safe! As much as. 22 LR would be anyhow.

This is NOT A SILENCER! No paperwork no legalities what so ever. BIG PLUS is cost. Some muzzle devices are hundreds of dollars!! Not so with these from KAW!! Average is UNDER 50$!!! They are allow aluminum and alloy steel. Not overly heavy and offered in four sizes. Plus magnum offerings now!

CW
I dont see how they can sell them under 50$ , seems that price wouldnt cover the labor alone.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 08:42 PM

Here is a link to the company.

https://www.kawvalleyprecision.com/K...linear-blk.htm

Joebob outfitters is a distributor also. They have good service and quick ship/delivery

They are also on Ebay if you shop there.

Here is a video with a db meter. It dosent tell ya about the concussive blast reduction. But rather just the db reduction. Know that a 70db is ambient sound around us as a average.

https://youtu.be/1WhbyrvAvEU

Nito has them as a sponsor. This was short time back when they released the magnum version.

https://youtu.be/EJ0tFcQ60dg

CW

NRA LIFE Member

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page