ks-47 or sks? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to tdoyka
Default ks-47 or sks?

in several months(maybe a bit longer) i was going buy a psa ks-47 to shoot targets, cans and whatever and once in a while to take hunting with me. even tho i reload, it will shoot factory ammo(exclusively). (i'm allowed to hunt because i am disabled) then while i was looking up online auctions, the sks was there. back in the day, i had the chance to buy the sks at $70-80. i should have bought 10 of them and put them away for the prices today. sheesh!!!!! $300 and up!!!!! but i didn't and i can't go back...........

i know the sks that i'll never have the accuracy that a psa ks-47 have. heck, if the sks groups 3 - 4" at 100 yards, i'll be a happy camper! i know i have to do trigger job and i'll probably do a aperture tech sight (i don't like scopes on the sks) just because. the 7.62x39 stipper clip are cheaper than ak-47 magazine(a list is on ks-47 magazines). i can throw the sks into my utv and go, not have to worry about scratching the stock or bouncing off the scope sight.

i'm not a guy that is into updated military weapons. i have served (US Army) and one thing that i've learned is that i HATE to clean my weapon!!!!!!! i've cleaned the m16a2/m203, m60, saw, ma deuce and a couple of more. the ks-47 is about the thing only i hate, cleaning!!!!! i'll only clean the sks when its appropriate(the accuracy fall off). while i hunt with the sks, it will only be 100 yards or less. 50 yards or less is more likely.

i like to shoot and not competitively. if i take out a rock or soda can or paper target or steel at 300 yards, then the guy on shoulder smiles. i'm not into shooting because of the guys, girls, trophy....i just like to shoot. i luv to shoot open(aperture) sights too. thats one thing that i've learned (and forgot) from the Army. it took an williams fp sight on my m94 to correct that.

now, what do you think that i "have to have." a ks-47 or a sks(likely a chinese)?

my thought is a sks, but the accuracy part of me say ks-47.

https://www.tech-sights.com/wp-conte...6644-Rev-A.pdf

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...165450163.html

“All that was great in the past was ridiculed, condemned, combated, suppressed — only to emerge all the more powerfully, all the more triumphantly from the struggle.”
― Nikola Tesla

https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/custom...tar99498_6.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 08:18 AM

id go with the AR for a couple reasons. Accuracy is one. Ease of cleaning, simplicity of design and interchangeability of parts. About anything that can break could be covered with a spare lower parts kid and a extra extractor. Parts that could be swapped out of any ar15. I would have to guess if your sks broke your not getting parts at your local gunshop. Then add to that an sks doesn't have a removable mag and that would be a deal breaker for me. If we were talking AK vs AR the gap would be a lot narrower. Then theres the ease of scope mounting or mounting assesories if that concerns you. Accuracy wize a soda can at 300 yards is going to be a real challenge for an ak or sks. Piece of cake for an AR. Ive been looking at the psa ks47 myself. Seems the reviews are great on it and many claim there as reliable as an AK. IF my ar15 in 762x39 was that reliable it would still be in the safe. Now if even the sks were still around a 100 bucks or even 200 id probably be a buyer too. But today I can build a new ar15 for what a used sks cost. No brainer choice for me. I see absolutely no advantage to an sks over an ks 47 or for that matter any ar15. Even the cheap 762x39 ammo is a thing of the past. You can buy 556 just as cheap today

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Today, 08:27 PM

SKS, especially if you can find one that's new and in the box. The AK (Kalashnikov) rifle and variants is simply not as accurate as the SKS. If you are comparing old war relics with new production then of course the newer rifles may be the more accurate but in terms of the comm-bloc small arms thinking, the full automatic capability and 30 round capacity of the AK versus the semi-auto 10 round SKS would have made up for any longer range accuracy differences. I have both and enjoy both with the only difference being how many rounds I want to shoot before I reload. Both the NVA and the VC used to have snipers harassing our camps at night and they would be out 5-600 meters with the SKSs and open sights and they would come close enough, lemme tellya. You shouldn't have any problems with the SKS.

Last edited by Bad Mike; Today at 08:31 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page