My new go to 22LR - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2020, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet
Default My new go to 22LR

I completed a dedicated AR22 build this winter and was putting it through it's paces. I really like it. I own a lot of 22's but this is the one I grab when the red squirrels make a assault on the bird feeder. I have 22 pumps, levers, single shots, and semi-autos and this is my new favorite. It took me a lot of years to warm up to the AR platform and for that matter semi-auto period. Kinda' hard for me to think I'd reach past a Winchester 1890, Marlin 39, or Remington model 12 to grab this but I do. Maybe the thrill of high velocity ammo and a red dot will wear off in a couple months and I'll be back to 22 shorts and a Lyman peep. But until then all squirrels beware.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0307201446.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	945.9 KB
ID:	242512  

Name:	0307201447.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	918.1 KB
ID:	242514  

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

― John Wayne "The Shootist"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2020, 05:07 AM

so what brand parts are they. Looks almost like a smith ar22 but the mag is different. Ive owned two smiths and both were accurate and dead reliable. One I traded off in a week moment and the other went to my grandson. Lost interest when I got my first 9mm ar15. with making my own cast bullets and getting brass for free its about as cheap to shoot as a 22 and a heck of a lot more fun. Best thing is I never have to worry about the ammo availability or shortages.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2020, 07:43 AM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

I have never been able to warm up to the AR platform either Neil. My son got me a Bushmaster as a retirement gift so i'll keep it but have always like the Mini-14 and 10/22 better. That's just me though as lots of folk using the AR platform in a variety of calibers with great success. My son is one of them. He has an AR in about every offering and says that I am backwards for not following suit.....he could be right but I am what I am!

I also have a Glenfield 60 that is my knockaround gun. It jammed on me(needs a cleaning)while my son and I were rabbit hunting. I thought that I was never going to hear the end of it! I hope and pray that his AR 22 jams in my presence one day....but it probably won't!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2020, 09:21 AM

It's always been this way. Guys kept using their flintlocks long after that newfangled percussion system was invented. William Butler Hickok hung onto his Colt Navys because he didn't trust those new cartridge guns. Police departments didn't switch over to semi-autos for what, 6 or 7 decades after the military went to the 1911. And how many deer hunters of the 1950's, or even up into the 1960's, put those "unnecessary" telescopes on their rifles?

Some people buy a new phone every few months trying to keep up with the latest tech, some don't even own a flip phone!

Nothing at all wrong with the AR platform, and I'd probably have a few if someone else was buying the ammo!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2020, 09:34 AM

Nice build. Yeah, they are a blast to shoot! I have 2 S&W's, one set up with red dot the other is a Performance model that is set up with scope. Both are as accurate or better than any 10/22 I've shot, with the performance model being almost as accurate as my bolts. Almost, but not quite so I usually take a bolt squirrel hunting.

Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the h-ell they please. --John Wayne
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2020, 09:47 AM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post
It's always been this way. Guys kept using their flintlocks long after that newfangled percussion system was invented. William Butler Hickok hung onto his Colt Navys because he didn't trust those new cartridge guns. Police departments didn't switch over to semi-autos for what, 6 or 7 decades after the military went to the 1911. And how many deer hunters of the 1950's, or even up into the 1960's, put those "unnecessary" telescopes on their rifles?

Some people buy a new phone every few months trying to keep up with the latest tech, some don't even own a flip phone!

Nothing at all wrong with the AR platform, and I'd probably have a few if someone else was buying the ammo!
Not to hijack the thread but several years ago my son asked me if I could load up a thousand rounds of 223 ammo. So I bought 1k of the once fired military brass. I decrimped the primer pockets and uniformed the primer pockets, trimmed and chamfered all of those cases. I then loaded them with Hornady V-Maxes and Benchmark......All one step at a time on my Rock Chucker press. It took me several evenings to complete. I delivered them to him on a Friday evening. He called me Monday morning to tell me that he along with three buddies shot them all up over the weekend and asked if I would load some more. Of course they let the brass fall where it may at the range. I told him that he was on his own as far as ammo goes for his pray and spray type shooting. For what it's worth fast forward 15 years and he is now a home owner and has 3 kids with number 4 on the way. He is way more conservative with his shooting and actually aims at his target before he pulls the trigger.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2020, 10:25 AM

I load 2 types of 223 ammo, 60 gr VMax that goes to my Rem R-15 for yote hunting and bulk 55 gr ammo that is used for fun. I would have disowned him,,,, for a day.

Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the h-ell they please. --John Wayne
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2020, 02:04 PM
dcw

Smile i have a

Spikes ST-22 I like quite a bit. it takes all ammo I feed it and it's very accurate (even with my using the standard military style sights and aging eyes...)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0429171339_0001_0001.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	331.0 KB
ID:	242640  

lead, follow, or get out of the way!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd smale View Post
so what brand parts are they. Looks almost like a smith ar22 but the mag is different. Ive owned two smiths and both were accurate and dead reliable. One I traded off in a week moment and the other went to my grandson. Lost interest when I got my first 9mm ar15. with making my own cast bullets and getting brass for free its about as cheap to shoot as a 22 and a heck of a lot more fun. Best thing is I never have to worry about the ammo availability or shortages.
Lloyd, the barrel is Velocity Firearms, the hand guard is ar15 handguard.com, a cmmg conversion bolt and mags I had, lower parts and stock are outdoor sports USA, and the lower is an 80% Aero precision (I just wanted to see if I could mill aluminium on my drill press). A Sig romeo5 sits on top. I went low dollar on every thing in it but it shoots 100% and 1 inch groups at 40 yards with Aguila SE-HV. It cycles on standard velocity as well as CCI quiet semi-auto ammo. There are so many variables in this rifle I think I just got lucky. Even using low dollar and left over parts I still have more in it then a M&P 15-22.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

― John Wayne "The Shootist"

Last edited by northwoodneil; 03-13-2020 at 07:42 PM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-14-2020, 08:41 AM

How do the conversion bolts run these days? I know when I was looking to get a rimfire 22 AR they were not very reliable and fouled up badly. That was just before Obama tried to take our guns away and the 22 ammo shortage. Luckily I bought the 15-22 and stocked up big when cheap, so I had no pain during the depletion...

Buckskin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page