180wfn Cast Performance bullets in .357 max data? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Default 180wfn Cast Performance bullets in .357 max data?

I have a Henry ss coming in . 357 Max along with some CP 180 grain gc bullets, and some 360 Dan Wesson cases. I ordered the 360 DW cases for another 180 grain mold I have coming. What starting data can I use for the CP 180 in the DW cases? I have Alliant 2400 and plan to pickup another powder for the 357 Max? Do I simply crimp in the crimp groove? I can get some max cases, if I need them? Max is new to me, any cast bullet help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks, Tom

Last edited by hc18flyer; 01-12-2019 at 09:06 AM. Reason: missing word
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 10:38 PM

Two and a half months without a reply, here goes.
I know very little about the 360 Dan Wesson and even less about the 180gr Cast Performance bullet, so I'm certainly no expert.
And all of my .357 Maximum experience has been with a TC Contender.
You might consider using a little slower powder with the heavier bullets, something along the line of Reloader 7 or IMR4198.
Here is a couple of cast bullets that I have had good luck with:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	357_Max.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	562.9 KB
ID:	228914  

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 06:47 AM

In a revolver, you would want to crimp in the crimp groove to prevent bullet pull from recoil. I am not sure about the Henry, but it might be an issue there also. Not issue in a single shot contender as there is only 1 round in the gun. There is Dan Wesson data out there, you should be able to find it with a internet search. I don't have any handy. Seems like in the DW case, I used H110 when using that brass in my contender. The slower powders mentioned above are more for the max cartridge, not sure if there is DW data with those rifle powders.

Just curious, why didn't you order Max brass? It has gotten a lot easier to find as of late. I used DW brass in the Contender before I could get my hands on Max brass.

Rosewood

Go Donald Go!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 11:20 PM

hc18flyer,
Have you worked with that Henry yet?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have shot the Henry. I need to run some loads past my chrono. Last weekend my Grandson and I ran 40 rounds of 25.5 grains of Accurate 1680, and my new 'Group Buy', Larson 180 grain rnfp gc bullet. I also shot some 26 grain loads, the 25.5 seemed plenty 'hot'! Mike Bellm 'throated' my 357 Mag to accept longer cast bullets, so I can crimp them in the groove. Actually I can go .025 longer, without touching the rifling. I can load the RCBS 35-200 gc bullet and crimp in that groove too. I really don't need the .360 Dan Wesson brass! At our range we have a metalic 'Bad Guy/ Hostage' silhouette, my Grandson really likes swinging the 'Bad Guy' around with the Henry! We think the Henry w ill make an excellant Deer stand rifle! I will work up some loads and post the details. hc18flyer
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 09:19 PM

I'll have to check my notebook, but I don't think I have tried Accurate 1680 in my 357 Max. I read somewhere it is supposed to be a replacement for the old WW 680, and I found that (680) was an excellent powder in the TC.
Your Larson bullet should look identical to the 180grainer I posted above, no?
Loaded over a casefull of Re7 it goes a little more than 1900 ft/sec in my 18" TC and is a fine deer bullet in my experience.
Have you scoped your Henry or are you running iron sights?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

I put a used Leupold 4x compact on it. I would have preferred a 'bdc' reticle, but this will be fine for my purposes.The 180 grain bullets do look identical. I am anxious to work up some loads for deer hunting. hc18flyer
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 07:53 PM

Sounds like a nice outfit for hunting.
I'll take a fixed power scope with a simple duplex reticle any day. Beats the heck out of an oversized variable power with all the bells and whistles.
The feller that did your re-chamber also built my Contender barrel. Another good source for 357 Max info is David White (dandtcustomgunworks).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page