Maximum amount to size down? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Default Maximum amount to size down?

Guys,

Looking for advice on how much is reasonable to size down. Looking to shoot coated lead in a 350 Legend AR subsonic.

I don't cast but do have a Lee 357 sizer. Looking for heavy bullets to help cycling subsonics in an AR. Wondering if its feasible to size down the 9.3 Mauser (.366) Missouri Bullet in one pass to .357?

https://missouribullet.com/details.p...6&secondary=36

Thanks,
Terry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 06:48 PM

Ive done 0.007 without any trouble other than cracking my bench before I figured out lube really was important when sizing. Look for fins at the base and forget having lube grooves as they will be almost non-existent once they pass through the sizing die. Mattered not to me as I was paper patching the end result
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 07:55 AM

Ive gone from 461 to 452 in one pass. But I did it with a rock chucker and lee sizing dies. I wouldn't do that with my star because it would no doubt bend the handle. If there real hard alloy bullets it can be a chore. What will help is a small shot of one shot Hornady case lube. Don't do that if your going to pc them though. Back in the early days of 45 colt heavy bullet loads molds were rare in 452 so we used 4570 bullets all the time sized down.

BLUE LIVES MATTER!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 11:06 AM

Well. Maybe maybe not...

I have broken a Summit press sizing a **** of a lot less. :

I also have three broken 450 sizers under my bench. The handles snap at the thread and then toggle linkages can break.

IF you must I would size down in stages.

What weight are you looking for?

I recently picked up a Accurate 36-270c mold plain base Specifically for use in my 358 Norma Mag. But Dinny and I are having fun with it in the Maxi!! Its long nose isnt Real friendly OAL length limitations but single Loaded would be OK.

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. and the THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys.

I'm on the fence about ordering a box and giving it a go to see what happens.

CW, I'm mostly looking for something that i can make run in the AR from a mag. i checked the drawing on that accurate 270 and agree its way too long nose-to-crimp. if you happen to have something in the 230-300gr range with a shorter nose, I'd be happy to see what trade goods we have in common .

Thanks all,
Terry
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 07:06 PM

I have a 230 NOE bullet. It works in my 350 Ruger Bolt fine.

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. and the THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2020, 10:58 AM

Terry,

If your still considering this. I’m willing ya send ya some to try for the cost of the shipping.

LMK

I have a “few” selections I can put together a nice “care package” for ya. All powder coated and sized. Ready to load.

CW

NRA LIFE Member

GOD BLESS AMERICA

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2020, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Live - Cocoa, FL; Hunt - Mims, FL; Lk. Poincette, FL; Union, SC
Gun Cabinet
Send a message via Skype™ to land_owner

Don't have a heart attack when opening CW's Powder Coated Care Package and finding a Rainbow of colors. Perhaps one way to quickly tell a medley of ammunition apart for sorting.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 09:24 AM

Have ya tried any yet Rich?

Here some of those 220g 10mm I just coated the other night!

Maximum amount to size down?-98950a20-aaaf-480e-9c00-6be21521a66c_1584105863851.jpeg

CW

NRA LIFE Member

GOD BLESS AMERICA

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Live - Cocoa, FL; Hunt - Mims, FL; Lk. Poincette, FL; Union, SC
Gun Cabinet
Send a message via Skype™ to land_owner

Oh 10mm...thought they were 45 ACP "Devestators".

No Sir. Not tried. I have been sitting on the fence with regard to Powder Coating (PC'ing) for about three (3) years, same as I did before casting lead, reading about it (some), watching others, and have yet to dive in - but am thinking about it. You may well know everything cooled down considerably for me after my good time buddy, shooting, reloading mentor, co-worker, and friend of 30-years died. I am still recovering from that, now retired, every day is a Holiday, have lots of time, am FOS (that's Full Of Stuff - for this forum), lack motivation, and have not found (nor looked for) someone to work with - except my next door neighbor has asked to be mentored (and I am glad to do it), but we're having trouble with scheduling. I suppose I will thaw out some, go back to casting, shooting, and hunting, maybe tackle PC'ing - does not seem too difficult and a little practice makes perfect. Perhaps before the 2020 hunting season. Too bad. I just made one gallon of Satan's Lube (6-6-6-1) and a four cavity, centered aluminum rod, PVC wax mold for the RCBS Lube-a-matic II. What do I do with all of that if I go PC'ing?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page