is anyone still lubesizing bullets? - Page 4 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Live - Cocoa, FL; Hunt - Mims, FL; Lk. Poincette, FL; Union, SC
Gun Cabinet
Send a message via Skype™ to land_owner

"Gray", like tin free lead, and "purple", for that "Inner City" Zombie Apocalypse experience. Who is going to believe that "purple chunk" (looking like all and blending in with the other bubble gum on the street), just went through the bad guy? Those mopping up will overlook it or die laughing. Criminals are going into hiding. Crime is going to fall. Not one bad guy is going to stand for that.

jk - jk. Those look GREAT and probably function better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 04:35 AM Thread Starter

I mostly use smokes mustard yellow. He told me a while back that its the best color he has for high velocity. Sometimes I mix it 5050 with black and it give a od green color I like. Black alone can be a bit splotchy and have clear spots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
BTW LLoyd you have a pkg inbound. TY!!!!

I have found even with “good” or known good powders there are colors that don’t co operate well. 😉

Metallics and Yellows are two that come to mind. Orange and red can be hit or miss too. Red has been solved with two different brands now I have a DuPont Raspberry that I actually add CHROME to and its wonderful!!

I shake n bake cause I never use same colors back to back and clean up using a tumbler for someone changing colors all the time would be a major head ache. But I have given thought to zip lock bags tumbled with powder and bullets contained. Just have not tried.

Warming helps quite a bit with yellow and Orange for me!

I have a couple blues good companies that simply refuse to coat. But know I have dozens of powders so I see more than most guys. Eastwood ford blue works TOO GOOD, and gives a thick coat that’s a hassle cause it sticks to everything. Large blocks of bullets stuck. Many more marked from my basket and even pulling pieces off
My basket from Previous bakes. (It’s that “strong” ) I now use it mostly as a mix with others that don’t cost as well to use them up. That’s working for me. Thinking on that I need to try Eastwood with COLD bullets. Might be what is causing the heavy coating... (just thinking/ typing out loud)

I have a new to me Mold hopefully arriving this week to try! RCBS 32-98-WC .
I also want to again borrow a 314/140 Mold from another friend. So I have some castin to do here!!

Friday it’s supposed to be 70!!! But normal high 30 lo 40 over weekend. Good heavy sweat shirt castin weather!!

CW

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 04:38 AM Thread Starter

all I can tell you is smokes powders work and on the cast bullet site you have some of the first guys who did coatings posting there and for the most part they say his is the best and about all of them say stay away from harbor freight powders. especially certain colors. Bottom line though is the worse powder is probably still better then the best lube.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atllaw View Post
What GP asked! I got the HF stuff also but y'all have convinced me that some brands are better then others.

Now to search the yard sales for a toaster oven... I can't bring myself to use the new one I bought.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 10:32 AM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd smale View Post
all I can tell you is smokes powders work ...
Good enough for me Lloyd! I'm ordering some as we speak!

Quote:
Bottom line though is the worse powder is probably still better then the best lube.
WOW That's a pretty bold statement!

Do you other users share Lloyd's opinion of the product/method?

Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute. Currently a Gentleman of Leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-21-2020, 05:49 AM Thread Starter

truth of the matter is the harbor freight ect powders that people claim are not as good in reality work just fine. Where they fall behind is mostly in looks. Some of them leave what looks like bare spots. If you look at your bullet and its got a shiny clear spot that's fine and your bullet will work. Its the bare spots that are a dull grey color (bare lead) that will cause problems. Even some of smokes colors do a better job of consistent color then others he sells. Find me a lube that will let me shoot 50 soft pure lead bullets at 2500 fps with absolutely no leading and ill eat those words. through the years ive tried them ALL. Probably every comerical lube and lube recipe out there. I quit making my own when Lars came out with his lubes. Probably the best comerical lubes made and he sold them for half the price of the other overpriced lubes. Bottom line it wasn't even worth buying beeswax to make your own. But this is hands down even better in every way to what he sold. (sorry lars) Like I said theres not ONE disadvantage to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atllaw View Post
Good enough for me Lloyd! I'm ordering some as we speak!

WOW That's a pretty bold statement!

Do you other users share Lloyd's opinion of the product/method?

Last edited by lloyd smale; 03-21-2020 at 05:53 AM.
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-21-2020, 07:19 AM

I use it all for one thing or another. Bulk 45ACP bullets get 45/45/10, just because I can do a WHOLE BUNCH at once. My 9mm and 357s get PC'ed along with some higher octane magnum bullets. My Redhawk in 45 Colt, and my 454's both shoot regular lubes the best with the loads I use.

I find it somewhat like which primers work best, they will all light off a load but some just work better in some combinations.
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-21-2020, 11:30 AM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41 Mag View Post
Bulk 45ACP bullets ... 9mm and 357s get PC'ed
41 Mag has alluded to the answer to my question but I'll seek detailed knowledge anyway.

Is PC hard enough to insure reliable feeding in semi-auto pistols? Specifically .380, 9mm & 45 ACP.

I reload my 380 with plated bullets and haven't had a problem but I don't know how PC compares to commercial plating...

Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute. Currently a Gentleman of Leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-21-2020, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Is PC hard enough to insure reliable feeding in semi-auto pistols? Specifically .380, 9mm & 45 ACP.
The coating is plenty tough enough to run through a semi auto pistol. I do coat some of my 45 bullets just not the bulk of them. I mostly just shoot the HG 68 or 78, and they are just as easily tumble lubed. Run at lower loads and velocity it works just fine, with upper or top end though PC does fine. Itll hold on even through full expansion with my HP from the magnums.
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-22-2020, 04:08 PM

Richard,

I switched to powder coated for my 3gun shooting. That’s 4 times a season ONE location. Each match is 3-600 rounds per match. I also sHoot steel matches those are same Location usually 6-7 times a year those are 3-400 rounds per. I shoot every weekend 1-300. I went the entire season without cleaning my G35. (I did pull a “rope” thru before every match once. )

ZERO FOULING!! This was the second year doing that.

I shoot a 40 in my side arm and my Carbine. SAME AMMO all my loads powder coated.

I was shooting plated. But had difficulties with targets past 35-40 yards. Played was not accurate past 35 yards.
Also played is limited to 1200 or so FPS.

NEITHER is the case with powder coated. No. NONE, ZERO velocity limitations from a handgun. Your cast will be as accurate as is your quality of cast.

As soon as I began shooting my cast my 50 Y groups went from 10-12”@50 yards with the pistol to 6” And my Carbine went from 8-10” to sub 4” and my hundred yard went to easy a dinner plate. This is all OFFHAND non supported.

I don’t miss plated at all.

Properly applied powder coat will stand up just fine. It seven survives being shot!!

is anyone still lubesizing bullets?-56110716-d126-4236-9809-85361d21d64c_1584922665138.jpegClick image for larger version

Name:	56110716-D126-4236-9809-85361D21D64C_1584922665138.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	243288

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. and the THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 05:33 AM Thread Starter

what he said! Only thing I will add is it not only holds up to 600 rounds but at the end of the day you can still hold on to your gun. Its not a greasy mess and full of fouling. Its as clean as a gun that shot jacketed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
Richard,

I switched to powder coated for my 3gun shooting. That’s 4 times a season ONE location. Each match is 3-600 rounds per match. I also sHoot steel matches those are same Location usually 6-7 times a year those are 3-400 rounds per. I shoot every weekend 1-300. I went the entire season without cleaning my G35. (I did pull a “rope” thru before every match once. )

ZERO FOULING!! This was the second year doing that.

I shoot a 40 in my side arm and my Carbine. SAME AMMO all my loads powder coated.

I was shooting plated. But had difficulties with targets past 35-40 yards. Played was not accurate past 35 yards.
Also played is limited to 1200 or so FPS.

NEITHER is the case with powder coated. No. NONE, ZERO velocity limitations from a handgun. Your cast will be as accurate as is your quality of cast.

As soon as I began shooting my cast my 50 Y groups went from 10-12”@50 yards with the pistol to 6” And my Carbine went from 8-10” to sub 4” and my hundred yard went to easy a dinner plate. This is all OFFHAND non supported.

I don’t miss plated at all.

Properly applied powder coat will stand up just fine. It seven survives being shot!!

Attachment 243288Attachment 243288

CW

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page