is anyone still lubesizing bullets? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 05:37 AM Thread Starter

Default is anyone still lubesizing bullets?

I haven't lube sized a bullet in 2 years. It to me seems about like seeing a old civil war soldier casting a bullet over an open campfire. Its PC all the way for this guy. Cleaner both in the process and keeping the gunk out of guns. No more leading at about any velocity. Only hardness concern is your bullet still has to be hard enough to stand up to the velocity your shooting it at. Velocity has no bearing on leading. Ive shot cast bullets at 3000 fps pc coated with no leading in ar15s. I can honestly say the day I die my star sizer will have the exact same amount of lube in it that's in there today. Only thing I use it for is sizing bullets to diameters I don't have lee sizing dies for and do have star dies. Probably the single biggest game changer in the history of casting bullets. I think of the mess and the hours wasted experimenting with lubes trying to find something better then the commercial ones. I wouldn't take a pickup load of lube now if it were given to me. Right up there with going back to a crank start carbureted model t pickup.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 07:28 AM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

Me too Lloyd. I am shooting pure lead in my 357s with Harbor Freight red powder coating. I just do them in a little Dutch oven in the garage. I made a little portable bench from 2x12s that I bring in from the garage and sit in front of my chair. I run those powder coated bullets through my Lee bullet sizer while I'm watching a something on TV.

I like the fact that a powder coated pure lead bullet will run 1200 fps without a bit of leading yet will mushroom to almost 1/2 inch. My plan is to shoot a deer in the boiler room with one of these bullets next fall from bow range.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

yup over on the cast bullet forum it was like mad scientists trying to find the magic bullet lube recipe. Come to find out theres really very little difference between home made and commercial and very little difference in velocity allowed with leading between any of them. Bottom line is pc will leave them all in its dust. Today very few over there use anything else except the black powder guys. 5 dollar a stick lubes?? I wouldn't give you 10 cents a stick for any of it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 12:42 PM

I cleaned the lube out of my RBCS rig and use it to size my PC bullets that I used to lube and size in it. I've added a couple of calibers and went with the Lee sizing rig for those and prefer it to the old RCBS enough that I may buy dies to replace the RCBS ones and retire the old rig. It would give me a bit more room on my bench too.

I always hated to lube and size bullets plus load them because of the greasy, sticky lube. PC took care of that plus they don't have leading problems like lubed bullets.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 01:15 PM

I Powder Coat Everything...Use the NOE Sizers, Never Goin Back to anything Else!
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Live - Cocoa, FL; Hunt - Mims, FL; Lk. Poincette, FL; Union, SC
Gun Cabinet
Send a message via Skype™ to land_owner

I am not going to PC. I still lube/size, shoot, clean, lube/size, and shoot.

I have entered the realm of not teaching an old dog a new trick. I will be fine. I will still shoot. I will still clean - as before. Nothing will change. Time will not stop. The world will not end. Life will go on.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-11-2020, 01:19 AM

Still do size and lube. I have so much pure lead and should consider pc. I live near Harbor Freight so that is step one. Any links on how to with Harbor Freight pc?

cheese

Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-11-2020, 05:07 AM Thread Starter

most over on the cast bullet fourm use "smokes" powder. Its all ive ever used. Some say hf powder is inferior and really crap in some colors. But if its cheap enough give it a try. Recommended test (other then shooting a couple hundred through your gun) is to take a bullet put it on a vice anvil and smash it with a hammer. If the paint doesn't flake off its good. Don't worry so much about how consistent the color is. Even splotchy color can be good. Look to see that theres a clear coat over the whole bullet even it its just clear. Some colors do better at aesthetics then others.

post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-12-2020, 09:36 AM

is anyone still lubesizing bullets?-02e75f7b-86c2-4550-add6-b96f7bf03adf_1584020315009.jpegis anyone still lubesizing bullets?-bc7e9482-c67c-47d8-b72f-d4645b9e0938_1584020302908.jpegis anyone still lubesizing bullets?-e0f8ae48-dce0-4a06-a219-67f13bc52e62_1584020265549.jpegis anyone still lubesizing bullets?-6d9ddec6-0a84-49c7-87b3-fc59ccf304ce_1584020286473.jpegI tried these powder coated bullets about three maybe four years ago now. Dinny sent me back some Lyman 358627’s I sent him. All powder coated red n green.

I didn’t shoot them right away but when I did I immediately noticed less smoke and near zero fouling in the barrel.

I had a ol oven and grabbed Red n Yellow powder at HF.

First batch I did MELTED!! Hahahaa. Lesson #1 learned straight away! Oven temps are not what the dial says!! Laser temp and oven temp gauges used now and they confirm temp.

I bought better powders then others and others. Today I have over a dozen colors and have mostly perfected the process.

I shoot my cast to 2000 FPS with zero lead fouling and good accuracy. I will still use a gas check if the bullet design is made for it. But all my new molds are bought plain base now. As I have such a tiny use for over 2K with a cast bullet it’s simply not needed for me.

99.8% of my cast get powder coated.

Heck last night I bought a small supply of a speciality bullet from a supplier who offers as cast and alloy choices. They arrived last night and within a couple hours where coated my own powder mix and sized .402.

I don’t see myself ever going back to lubed lead bullets.

If anyone would Like to try some, send me a size some postage and an address and I’ll gladly send ya some you can try for your self.

CW
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	918B6C59-6EE6-437B-988C-E712D6AF7E41_1584020328169.jpeg
Views:	13
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	242764  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2E431071-98D6-42FA-8898-EB87CB11A025_1584020339573.jpeg
Views:	15
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	242766  

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. and the THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-12-2020, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Live - Cocoa, FL; Hunt - Mims, FL; Lk. Poincette, FL; Union, SC
Gun Cabinet
Send a message via Skype™ to land_owner

Zombie Killers in 45 ACP HP Purple

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page