Reloads that chamber with resistance - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Default Reloads that chamber with resistance

My son and I were each hunting with 280s recently and during lunch we shoot a little. I offered him a few of my reloads. They are tight in my chamber and the bolt has a little resistance when closing. In his rifle the bolt would not close on these rounds. My rifle is a Rem 700 and his is an older A-Bolt Browning.

I have always assumed that neck sized brass used in the same rifle would normally chamber with a little resistance. Is this a cause for worry? Am I not bumping the shoulder back enough? My 280 die is not a full length die.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 11:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to gene_225

Neck sized cases often won't fit in another gun.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 11:38 PM

I wouldn't worry, now you know there's a difference, and next time you reload a batch full length size and trim to spec, and you're son will appreciate free ammo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 04:09 AM

neck sizing is fine for a target rifle but I wont do it on hunting ammo. Very little difference in accuracy and its just not worth trouble in the field for a couple more firings with your brass.

BLUE LIVES MATTER!!!!!!!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 10:22 AM

Are you neck sizing with a full length die? I've never used a neck sizing die. I was out hunting years ago and ran into a guy trying to MTY his rifle and couldn't do it. Seem's he had borrowed some ammo from his buddy that had the same cartridge, never do that!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 12:14 PM

Maybe a dumb question but have your trimmed the brass? Brass that's too long will start to get difficult to chamber as it grows. Have you given your chamber a good cleaning?
Neck sizing dies only resize the neck. The neck sized brass may or may not chamber in a rifle the case wasn't fired in. Partial full length resizing doesn't bump the shoulder back. You can have the same issues as with neck sized brass in another rifle. I have a 45acp carbide die with the top bored out so I can run any .308 or 30-06 family cases through it. The carbide ring only squeezes the brass in the web area.

Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in WV View Post
Maybe a dumb question but have your trimmed the brass? Brass that's too long will start to get difficult to chamber as it grows. Have you given your chamber a good cleaning?
Neck sizing dies only resize the neck. The neck sized brass may or may not chamber in a rifle the case wasn't fired in. Partial full length resizing doesn't bump the shoulder back. You can have the same issues as with neck sized brass in another rifle. I have a 45acp carbide die with the top bored out so I can run any .308 or 30-06 family cases through it. The carbide ring only squeezes the brass in the web area.
Disagree with this. Partial FL sizing will bump the shoulder back and the entire case. With FL dies you cannot move the shoulder at all without bumping the entire case also. I don't think a neck size die can bump it much either if at all. The problem is if the Neck die did bump the shoulder, what happens in the rest of the case which is not supported? I partial size all my own with FL's die. Bump the shoulder and squeeze to rest of the case equally.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 05:13 PM

Guys, first and foremost. DO NOT CHAMBER THIS ROUND OR TRY TO SHOOT IT! Yes I am shouting. Any load that may be touching the rifling and not designed for your specific rifle can develop extremely dangerous pressure resulting in catastrophic failure that can cause severe injury. Unless you are absolute certain the round is not jamming into the rifling, I would sit back and measure twice before moving forward. You don't know what the throat dimensions are for another rifle, 0.010 COAL may be fine in your rifle but jammed tighter than a bulls butt in another.

I also disagree that a neck sized round will chamber with "resistance", sometimes maybe but also may be result of case too long, shoulder needs some setback, bullet COL into rifling etc which can result in a serious Awe Crap. Brass spring back usually has some resistance but hardly felt.

If you are confident the round chambers fine and bullet is not jammed into rifling, then that is up to you to decide. BUT number one safety rule for any reloader is never share a specific reload from your rifle to another one. Reamers are different from rifle to rifle even within same manufacturer. From one manufacturer to another it is even more likely not be consistent. The number one benefit from reloading is to customize your ammo to your rifle to maximize its accuracy potential. Sharing custom ammo is not a good practice.

I am not chastising but only trying to get across the potential seriousness of sharing a reloaded round in another rifle. You have to measure each rifle if you want them to be OK for a certain COAL but as stated above, just FL resize to SAAMI and you should be fine.
Muddy

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety." Ben Franklin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page