6.5 x 55 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Location: Officially I live in Florida but I can sometimes be found in Missouri
Default 6.5 x 55

I have recently acquired a CZ 550 fs in 6.5 x 55 (swede). It is a strong modern rifle, and can easily handle pressures greater than found in most American commercial ammunition. From what I have read American ammunition makers deliberately load the Swede light because of all the old Swedish Mausers on the market and a fear one of them will suffer a catastrophic failure if loaded toward the top of the cartridges potential.

My question is where do I go to find load information appropriate to a modern firearm that can handle higher pressures?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 05:05 PM

You should refer to Alliant Powder's website for its load data. Alliant Powder is only powder maker I know that shows separate load data for a military action rifle (such as the M38 or M96 Swede) and a commercial action rifle. What you will discover on Alliant's website is basically this. What is the max load for a military action for one of the recommended 6.5x55 Alliant powders is about the start load for a Commercial Action rifle such as your CZ. I own a M38 Swede military rifle and a sporterized Swede 96 action rifle, both 6.5x55s. Also own a Savage Action rifle I rebarreled to 6.5x55. I'm very careful in not mixing up my Alliant based reloads in these rifles.

Gent I've shot with for years at range we're members is a big 6.5x55 fan. Owns a 6.5x55 (SKAN?), which allows him to drop a little more powder in his brass. His rifle has a Remington 700 action. Basically, whenever he is working with a new powder/grain bullet, he generally starts at whatever is the MAX load (not Alliants for commercial actions) and works up from there until he gets pressure signs. I chuckle at him, but he gets some very high velocity out of his 6.5x55......much more than me.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 07:10 PM

I have the Hornady manual amoung a few other's. In the hornady manual loads were worked up in a 96 sweed rifle. Low pressure. I can start just under max there and go up looking for pressure sign's or what I do instead is use my Nosler manual. For the 129gr Hornady I use data for Nosler's 125gr bullet., start low and work up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

My manual is Lyman 48 and it is obviously aimed at the military swedes. So far I have done well with the first three shots or so, but the patterns open up as the barrel heats up. Probably the nature of the full stock on the 6.5 x 55 CZ 550 fs. The first three shots are routinely 1 inch or less at 100 yards. I am thinking about acquiring a second 6.5 X 55 in something more range worthy and bedding the stock. I really like the round. Hardly any recoil and accurate as heck.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 02:18 AM

Location: Smack Dab in the middle of God's Country! Saskatchewan, Of Course!

don't you all wonder though, why in Europe, they shoot the same milsurps as us AND use the high pressure ammo loaded by such as NORMA et al??

and don't you all wonder why you don't hear about all the blow'd up guns over there?

I am ONLY responsible for what I say
I am NOT responsible for what you THINK I said
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanuk-o-dah-nort View Post
don't you all wonder though, why in Europe, they shoot the same milsurps as us AND use the high pressure ammo loaded by such as NORMA et al??

and don't you all wonder why you don't hear about all the blow'd up guns over there?
We are lawyered up, but the round is still so sweet shooting at mild loads I don't know if you gain all that much by going to the maximum at least not at Eastern hunting distances.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 04:07 PM

I have a Hodgdon Annual Manual that lists a 140gr. bullet at 2678 fps. using 48.2gr IMR7828SSC. (max load). Also they list 46.3gr of IMR4831 at 2700 fps. for the same bullet (max load). I haven't used either of these loads but they seem to be a respectable speed for the 6.5X55.

Self government without self discipline will not work; Paul Harvey
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanuk-o-dah-nort View Post

They don't have as many lawyers as we do!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page