357 mag/ max question - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

Default 357 mag/ max question

Years ago I made some dummy rounds of magnum brass, but Maxi OAL.
Bullets were SWC, finger seated in barely sized cases.
They chambered, extracted perfectly with no change in OAL.
Marked the forward shoulder with dry erase marker and repeated the process. No sign of contact with the throat or rifling.
Oh! Winchester '94 w/ angle eject. Rifle long gone and I am out of the reloading game, but I always wondered if this works like 357 load data in a 38 spcl. case loaded to magnum length.
Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 12:45 AM

Send a message via AIM to gene_225

Haven't tried it, but why wouldn't it? I have loaded .38s long to use on a .357 and not fit in a .38 chamber. It worked.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

Seems viable. Thanks for the reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 12:10 PM
mdi

It would probably work. But I have loaded 357 magnum levels in 38 Special brass with bullets seated to the crimp groove for use in a 357 Magnum revolver. Brass is basically the same except for length and the only "need" for "long" 38 Specials might be in feeding in a rifle...

I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 01:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to gene_225

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdi View Post
It would probably work. But I have loaded 357 magnum levels in 38 Special brass with bullets seated to the crimp groove for use in a 357 Magnum revolver. Brass is basically the same except for length and the only "need" for "long" 38 Specials might be in feeding in a rifle...
For me, the need was that the shells not be able to fit/chamber in a .38 special. I considered that a safety issue. Also I wanted the powder to have the same space in the shell as a .357 so as to not raise the pressure.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 11:43 PM

357 Magnum and 38 Special brass is not the same OAL which means loaded to same levels there is a pressure difference. If you stay reasonable you won't blow a primer pocket or split a case mouth, but if you load a heavy charge the psi will raise to quickly.

Regardless of which way you go long for load 38's or short for load 357's you create one of two scenarios. Pressure builds to fast, something could come apart. Pressure builds to slow, velocity suffers.

Try reading Edward Matunas book or McAllister's both speak to pressure and the inverse relationships that can strangely happen unexpectedly.

That's my 2cent

Remember the cartridge case is the only thing that can literally keep disaster contained.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page