Anyone load 38 special 000 buck rounds ? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Default Anyone load 38 special 000 buck rounds ?

Wanting to load some ultralight load 000 buck rounds for the 38 spl. One of my older books had a load using 1 grain +/- of bullseye. Also, if anyone has any 000 buck balls laying around they wanna let lose of, lemme know. Not looking for accuracy, just stump plinking.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-P905V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 07:10 PM

I've used them in a cap and ball pistol but have never tried in a cartridge, thou, I have heard of it. Should work well enough.

BF
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 10:05 AM

I used muzzle loader round balls in .357 loads with I think 3g of Red Dot. The shot pretty well as I recall. I now cast bullets for the .357 so I don't have much reason to do this anymore....

Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 09:33 PM

I have done it, using 4 grains of PB powder and noted that the powder was not burning completely. I also did it with some normal pistol powders not sure which and got very good results and accuracy. Only problem is to carefully control the seating depth to get the center of the ball just inside the case mouth and then crimp. You also have to watch, some companies advertise 000 buck as 0.360" diameter which is good, but some list it as 0.350" diameter, no good.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 07:35 AM

I loaded 000 buckshot for New Jersey deer hunting a long time ago, and found Ballistic Products to be a source for good quality .360 000.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 03:13 PM
mdi

Sorta on target; I reloaded some .432" balls in my 44 Magnum. Weighed about 123 gr. I used a very light charge of Bullseye (I got the load out of my Speer #11). I rolled the balls in alox and seated them just below center and put a light roll crimp on them. Bullets were secure and were pretty accurate. Shot in my Ruger SBH. I was getting 2" groups at 25 feet. Didn't try them at any longer range.

All the charts I see say the 000 buck runs .36", but I would measure some to get a more accurate diameter, to the third digit, but a ball ..005"-.008" oversize would be easily swaged down...

I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Man View Post
I loaded 000 buckshot for New Jersey deer hunting a long time ago, and found Ballistic Products to be a source for good quality .360 000.
The price for 000 Buck from Ballistic Products is so high that its almost the same price to buy cast .38 bullets in bulk.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgiiver View Post
The price for 000 Buck from Ballistic Products is so high that its almost the same price to buy cast .38 bullets in bulk.
Was a thought. My buckshot loads used the plated .360 buckshot, and my only alternative at the time was casting my own with the Lee .360 mould and melted wheel weights.

Using 3" Winchester hulls, red wads, Win primers and 40grs of Alliant Blue Dot with a small amount of polyethylene powder as a buffer, my loads using the Ballistic products .360 plated shot seemed to both pattern superior, and with greater lethality than the home cast shot.

In your situation maybe casting your own, or buying bulk .38 bullets is a better idea. Sorry this was of no use to you.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 01:14 PM
mdi

Hmmm. Thread drift...

Loading balls in a revolver cartridge usually produces a fun "gallery" load that's low cost, no recoil, and quiet. My 44 ball loads in my heavy revolvers was like shooting 22 shorts...

I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 04:46 PM

Gun Cabinet

Here's a twist on loading triple ought. Don't recall where the pic is from, and no powder data given.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3oughtBuck.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	232476  

Dennis In Ft Worth
US Air Force, Retired
NRA Life
Eagle Scout, Troop 318

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page