Graybeard Outdoors banner

Skinny 8mm speer hot-core bullets.

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  rickt300 
#1 ·
I recently bought some Speer 8mm Hot-cores 170gr for my M70 featherweight 325wsm and noticed a lot of them were .321 to .322 according to my micrometer . Anyone else run into this ?

#4 ·
I also bought a bunch a few months back. I hope Mine aint so small!!! I think I have 500! My ol Mauser needs bigger bullets.

CW

#7 ·
I think the big point is to make tiny groups, so sounds like they worked just fine. I have a couple boxes of them as loaded by Wisconsin Cartridge and I'm eager to give them a try in both my Medallion and BLR in .325. Both rifles have proven to be quite accurate with 180 & 200gr bullets.

#9 ·
I'm curious as to what type of velocity you're shooting them at. And also, how they hold up on deer-sized game. I certainly do not need a "premium" bullet for deer hunting with either of my .325s, but I'd just like to know if they hold together well, without over(?) expansion at closer ranges. Thanks for any insight you might have to share.

This is one of the Winchester 200gr XP3s that I used to take a very large Georgia boar. Held together well, while being stopped in the offside shield. Range was about 75 yards.

Attachments

#11 ·
Years ago I sold a customer a box of speer bullets for his 30-06 and he brought them back the next day not one in the box weight what was on the box I also notice that lots of bullet maker bullets are not consistent as to weight on box.

Deaconllb

#14 ·
The early bore and groove diameters were different than what came with the 8x57JS we are used to today. I think the 8x57J used a bore diameter of .318 with a groove diameter of .320-.321. So your skinny bullets might just be a compromise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.