Can't do the hand priming much anymore - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to justonemorear
Default Can't do the hand priming much anymore

Posted on other sites to cast a wider net.
Been loading since '92
Arthritis is taking away my grip, having trouble using my Lee Auto Prime tools on massive over winter reloads(have both the old round for years and the square based on the same design)
I prep all my brass in stages and store them primed ready to load as needed.
Was looking at a bench mount that won't break the bank under a hundo complete.
Feedback on the Lee bench mount since it has been out for about 3 yrs is mixed, seen the Forster but most don't like the multi-chuck.
Any feedback by someone who had to make the same decision would be appreciated.
thanks

When it absolutely needs to be there, reload

Pareo Nullus (Obey None)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 10:51 AM

Gun Cabinet

I have a Lee cast reloading press and it has a primer attachment that came with it put a primer in it place a shell in the shell holder and lift up the primer arm swings in under the shell holder and inserts the primer in brass a little slow main problem is placing the primer in the little cup that holds it.

Deaconllb

U S Air Force Korean vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defence Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 11:07 AM

Gun Cabinet
Default Lee bench prime

I like you have arthritis in my hands and have trouble with the hand primers. I got the bench primer and mounted it on a block of plywood so it could be taken off the bench and replaced easily. So far I really like it. The only problem with it is that you have to tap on the primer tray so that the primers will continue to feed down into the anvil. I have just developed a habit of just tapping the primer tray with my finger between each primer placement. Runs great for me and is a lot easier then the hand primers. Good luck with what ever you choose.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Support the NRA-ILA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 12:19 PM
mdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmurl View Post
I like you have arthritis in my hands and have trouble with the hand primers. I got the bench primer and mounted it on a block of plywood so it could be taken off the bench and replaced easily. So far I really like it. The only problem with it is that you have to tap on the primer tray so that the primers will continue to feed down into the anvil. I have just developed a habit of just tapping the primer tray with my finger between each primer placement. Runs great for me and is a lot easier then the hand primers. Good luck with what ever you choose.
I too have a Lee Bench Prime. I got mine about 6 months after they came out. I tried it and got 6 OOPS! out of 100. Too many! I went back and read the instructions, mounted the tool securely and proceeded to prime 100 cases non stop. That was about 3,000 cases ago and I have had two primers go in sideways, IIRC. But the next primer is visible in the "channel" so seeing them is easy, I just didn't look. I often dump a sleeve in the tray and proceed to prime 100 cases non stop. I also developed the habit of tapping the tray with the index finger of the hand that operated the lever, no big deal...

I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 03:22 PM

+1 with mrmurl and mdi. Of what's currently available at a reasonable price, IMHO the Lee bench primer is the way to go. Seats primers on the downstroke (easy on arthritic hands). Requires special shellholders, but they are very expensive. I think Deacon has a Lee ram tool. It mounts on a single stage press, seats primers on the downstroke and uses regular shellholders, but is a little slow and there is an OOPS factor. I have a ram tool and also own a Lee auto prime II. It also mounts on a single stage press, seats primers on the downstroke and uses regular shellholders, but is no longer made. Most of the misfeeds I've had are on me for getting in too big a hurry.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 03:35 PM

My bad. Should have said the Lee special shellholders are not very expensive. Don't own a Lee bench primer, but have used my youngest son's from time to time. It does everything my auto prime II does.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 04:56 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Live - Cocoa, FL; Hunt - Mims, FL; Lk. Poincette, FL; Union, SC
Gun Cabinet
Send a message via Skype™ to land_owner

You can get an Automatic RCBS Bench Priming Tool delivered from Amazon for $95.00 (Amazon link above). There is nothing "automatic" about the manual "throw", only the 100-primer tube feeders and its action of moving into and out of the shell holder. If you don't already have the RCBS (or compatible) shell holders, this might be a Bridge Too Far.

Mine works great with a modification, the addition of a spring return between the shell holder and the lever arm. It is not difficult (for me) to press down against the return spring.

I can think of mounting the modified (return spring) Primer to the bench and adding a foot pedal for the down swing. Food for thought...

Last edited by land_owner; 05-22-2019 at 05:05 AM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input, glad to see I'm not alone. Between here and Casboolits have a lot of options but seem to lean toward the RCBS bench.

Anyone know if the Lee Auto prime holders work in the RCBS or will they require mod's?

Pareo Nullus (Obey None)
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 08:52 PM

how about getting a young boy or girl and teach them how to reload. winner on both ends.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatercat View Post
how about getting a young boy or girl and teach them how to reload. winner on both ends.
Years ago maybe and I helped some learn when it was not an issue but not these days.
I've gotten a little private w/ what people know bout me. All the upheaval about anything gun related does not make it better, trust is rarer then chicken lips.

Pareo Nullus (Obey None)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page