difference in Winchester & CCI small mag pistol primers - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Default difference in Winchester & CCI small mag pistol primers

ran my 1st set of reloads with CCI (4" .357-140gr XTP) & liked that load;
ran out of CCI, now got Winchester;

should i back off a few grains on the next batch (of same bullet & powder), or is there not enough difference to matter.

also going to run some 158gr powder coated cast boollits for the next batch, but this will
be the first time with this combo.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 09:29 PM

Probably, it depends. If your current load is near minimum, it should be OK. If it is more than half way from minimum to maximum, then backoff a little.

2120-September 1, 1945
To: D A MacArthur /C H Nimitz
Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional , illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of cr*p by the clean end!

Now, with special thanks to the Truman Museum and Harry himself, you and I finally have a full understanding of what "POLITICAL CORRECTNESS" really means.....
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Live - Cocoa, FL; Hunt - Mims, FL; Lk. Poincette, FL; Union, SC
Gun Cabinet
Send a message via Skype™ to land_owner

Not knowing the characteristics of two different Mfg's of standard primers it is prudent to back off on the powder charge just a mite when switching...though I will admit to switching standard primers of multiple Mfg's without a change in powder (Wolf, Winchester, CCI, Federal). I load near the bottom end to middle of the powder Mfg's published range. The first "sweet spot" down my bore, if less than 1 MOA, is good for me. I don't shoot at the upper range of powder or velocity. I like a wide meplat, a heavy for caliber bullet, and a "lumbering" velocity for the "wallop" that does everything to the game that I need it to do. Dead is dead. The game won't know or care that I didn't use ALL of the potential energy that I could possibly squeeze through my rifle or handgun.

Last edited by land_owner; 06-04-2019 at 09:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 03:17 PM
mdi

Common reloading practice is with any component change, back off and start a work up again. But, the average reloader/shooter won't be able to tell the difference in a primer change, (possibly unless it's from standard to magnum primers).. If your load is near max., drop 10% and start over...

I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

i'm a little below the middle of the range, so i should be ok- thanks all
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 05:55 AM

to be real about any load you find in a loading manual is conservative. Primer change isn't going to blow up a gun. what you probably will see if your using fast pistol powders is a decrease in accuracy. Back when the primer shortages really hit I was down to 2 cases of cci small mag pistol for the only small primers I had. I used them in everything from the 32 mag and 38 spec and 9mm to full power 556 and 22250 loads. Never noticed any pressure problems with any of those rounds. But then I don't load over book recommendations any more. If you load is pushing the ragged edge in your gun it sure could cause a problem in that case though.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 05:57 AM

by the way. I don't know if its still the case or not but about 15 years ago cci said that there standard small rifle primers and there mag small pistol primers were the same primer in a different box.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 10:10 PM

What they all said. I recommend you read this article, and make up your own mind.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/reloading-primers/

It is known that certain brand primers are harder than others. Winchester being the softest and CCI being the hardest.

"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

A statement of fact: H&R Huntsman & Sidekick blued barrels are made of 4140 steel.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page