Old 7 x 57 UMC fired brass - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Default Old 7 x 57 UMC fired brass

Picked some up at an estate sale. After tumbling I tried to resize and decap in a old CH FL die. The decapping pin stuck in the first two and was pulled out of the expander ball stem. Badly bent. I drilled out the spent primer on the third one and lo, the flash hole looked really small. Drilled out a fourth one headstamped UMC 1901 and what did I find? Berdan primer. On line research found the latter were made for the Mexican Army in large quantity. Unable to find anything on large rifle boxer primer 7 x 57 UMC brass with small flash hole.

Any suggestions on salvaging this old brass? The Berdan stuff will be discarded. A .223 decapping pin fits the small flash hole after the spent boxer primer is drilled and then pried out with an awl. I only have a handful so not looking to make a major investment. Worst case is drill out the spent primers and then drill out the flash hole with a 5/64 or .078" drill.

Last edited by M134 Troll; 06-16-2019 at 10:10 PM. Reason: add
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 10:03 PM

Try using a Lee Universal Decapping Die. It's a solid one piece decapping stem. You won't have to worry about having the decapping pin being pulled out of the decapping stem. Make sure to read the instructions on how to properly adjust/tighten the decapping stem. Use the proper sized ratchet wrench and socket (don't use an open end wrench) to make the adjustment nut, so you don't deform the adjustment nut.

https://www.brownells.com/reloading/...nt=749-001-565

I use to use the RCBS universal decapping die, but found the Lee one to be much better.

"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

A statement of fact: H&R Huntsman & Sidekick blued barrels are made of 4140 steel.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 10:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to gene_225

My father used to deprime Berdan cases by filling them with water and then inserting a tight fitting dowl of the correct size and using the hydralic pressure when he hit the end of the dowl to pop the primer out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene_225 View Post
My father used to deprime Berdan cases by filling them with water and then inserting a tight fitting dowl of the correct size and using the hydralic pressure when he hit the end of the dowl to pop the primer out.
The only problem after that is, where do you get Berdan primers.

"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

A statement of fact: H&R Huntsman & Sidekick blued barrels are made of 4140 steel.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 10:36 PM

That was over 60 years ago, so I don't know where he got them or who sells them now. But I'd expect that they are available from someone even today.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 10:47 PM

Gene - Correct you are. I didn't think any were available, or were too expensive.

https://www.budgetshootersupply.ca/p...erdan-primers/

Guess I really didn't look that hard since, I don't use them.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 11:00 PM

Another source: http://www.dave-cushman.net/shot/ber...imensions.html
From another website:Tulammo usa has them on their website for 7.62-39 and 7.62-51. No telling if they really have them unless you call.
RCBS Berdan Decapping Tool
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Well, I picked up a No. 49 drill the other day. Drilled a divot in the spent primers with a 5/32 drill and then drove an awl through the divot wall and pried out the primers. About a third of them popped right out and the rest required varying degrees of elbow grease. I clamped the shells in a large vise with an old synthetic shoe sole to avoid marring the brass. I'll full length resize anyway which should fix any out-of-round issues.

I drilled out the small flash holes with the No. 49 drill, which is a bit small, but the holes cleared a large decapping pin. Out of maybe 40 cases there were 3 that had large flash holes.

Mixed in with the 7mm brass were some rimmed cases labeled 40-32 WRA and some marked .43 Mauser, a brass .410 case, some brass 12 ga. cases and a case like a .50 M2 but a bit more than an inch shorter with a L C headstamp.

I've heard of the hydraulic decapping method but have never tried it. Might if I can find some Berdan primers....the find included about 100 ?Turkish 8 x 57 Berdan primed cases.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 08:30 AM

throw them in the trash and buy new brass.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page