Lee classic loader 45-70 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Default Lee classic loader 45-70

I now have the classic loader45-70 .I have also deprimmed some brass and primed some so my question is in useing CCI BR-2 the new primers have the same indent as the bottom of the priming chamber .am I useing the wrong primers or am I not cleaning the primer pocket good enough

Sent from my LGL158VL using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 01:59 AM

Send a message via AIM to gene_225

Is there a little protrusion on the spring loaded center of the priming chamber? If so, that could be your problem. Grind/sand it off and you should be good.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 02:01 AM Thread Starter

Ok I will give that a try .Are the primers I'm useing ok ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 02:18 AM

Send a message via AIM to gene_225

Can't answer that one from experience, but I don't see any problem; just be consistant with the primers you use and how you seat them.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 01:24 PM
mdi

Not sure what you are asking, are your primers being marked/dented? I doubt if it is a problem, depending on how severe the dents are. I would not grind the seating stem or anything as it would affect the seating depth, which for many new reloaders is often a problem. Inspect the primer seating"stem" and see f there is any burrs, or gouges. It may just need cleaning. I believe primers are "standard dimensions"; large rifle primers should all have the same diameter and height so the Lee Loader will work with any Boxer primer...

FWIW I like Lee Loaders and even though I have 4 bench presses, 16 die sets and 1.27 tons of assorted reloading equipment, every once in a while I'll get out one of my 7 Lee Loaders and pound out a few rounds. I don't have any problems popping primers as I worked out this problem in '70 (I made sure all the spring loaded plates in the priming base were clean and free, and the stems were centered, smooth and clean. II also found a dead blow hammer worked better. I had one kit the would pop mebbe 1 out of 20-25 primers, my 44 Special/Magnum kit. I fixed that by lightly chamfering the primer pocket, just like I do for removing military primer crimps and the problem went away.).

I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 02:56 PM

After getting My first Lee Loader, I decided the weakest part of the system was the primer installation. So as soon as some more money came My way, I purchased the Lee Hand Primer. Much safer I feel.

Jim
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

I agree that will be my next purchase

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FW Conch View Post
After getting My first Lee Loader, I decided the weakest part of the system was the primer installation. So as soon as some more money came My way, I purchased the Lee Hand Primer. Much safer I feel.
I did the same after having a primer go off. Plus the bonus of priming cases much faster.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 09:22 AM

I agree on the priming with the lee loader tool , though I use the carriage on my old shot gun press to push primers in rather than a hammer. But, for a few bucks more I recommend the bench primer tool from Lee. I have both but even though they use same parts the bench model works much better. I mounted mine on a small piece of plywood so it is still portable & it works much better.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Live - Cocoa, FL; Hunt - Mims, FL; Lk. Poincette, FL; Union, SC
Gun Cabinet
Send a message via Skype™ to land_owner

After the first three our four primer firings while seating with the Lee Loader, either your heart gives out or you find a softer and gentler way to seat primers into primer pockets. Don't bang so hard. They will go in with less than 2,000 psi of instantaneous and downward pressure...use a resin mallet too - they are neither so heavy nor so hard on primer insertion.

Last edited by land_owner; 08-10-2019 at 01:09 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page