7.35 Carcano reloading info needed. - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

Default 7.35 Carcano reloading info needed.

Looking into picking up a 7.35 Carcano. Please no jokes about this being the so called "dropped once, never fired" rifle. While it is Italian made, it was issued (rifle has Finn Army markings) and used by the Finnish Army against the Russians prior to and during WW2. Ammo is considered obsolete, and hard to find, and when found quite expensive. Anyone have any experience with reloading for this caliber, more importantly, do you have any legitimate (from reloading manuals) reloading data for this caliber? If so, I would love to be able to see it, and get a copy of it.

Any additional information regarding dies, shell holders, bullet sources, would be greatly appreciated. I have done research on reloading this caliber, but I have had different shell holders recommended. Current reloading manuals do not list this caliber. I do know that the 1977 Hornady reloading manual has this caliber listed.

What I have discovered is that Lee's #2 shell holder, which is recommended by Lee Precision is not a good fit. It is actually made for the 308 cartridge family. Instead of selling a shell holder for the actual rim size of the 7.35 Carcano, Lee is just selling a "close enough" sized shell holder for the 7.35 Carcano. If you have actually reloaded for this caliber, and have had good results, please tell me what company dies, & shell holder (make & number) your using along with what company brass your using for the 7.35 Carcano.

Thanks

"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

A statement of fact: H&R Huntsman & Sidekick blued barrels are made of 4140 steel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 08:50 PM

posted on the other 7.35 thread, https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/51-mil...5-carcano.html

Let me see if I can photo a page from the Lyman book, if I can will PM you.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

30calflash - If you can, it is greatly appreciated. If anyone has the 1977 version of the Hornady manual, can you also post the reloading data from that manual?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 12:55 PM

Default in case 7.35 italian is same ?

in case 7.35 italian is same as carcano

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolRanger View Post
Looking into picking up a 7.35 Carcano. Please no jokes about this being the so called "dropped once, never fired" rifle. While it is Italian made, it was issued (rifle has Finn Army markings) and used by the Finnish Army against the Russians prior to and during WW2. Ammo is considered obsolete, and hard to find, and when found quite expensive. Anyone have any experience with reloading for this caliber, more importantly, do you have any legitimate (from reloading manuals) reloading data for this caliber? If so, I would love to be able to see it, and get a copy of it.

Any additional information regarding dies, shell holders, bullet sources, would be greatly appreciated. I have done research on reloading this caliber, but I have had different shell holders recommended. Current reloading manuals do not list this caliber. I do know that the 1977 Hornady reloading manual has this caliber listed.

What I have discovered is that Lee's #2 shell holder, which is recommended by Lee Precision is not a good fit. It is actually made for the 308 cartridge family. Instead of selling a shell holder for the actual rim size of the 7.35 Carcano, Lee is just selling a "close enough" sized shell holder for the 7.35 Carcano. If you have actually reloaded for this caliber, and have had good results, please tell me what company dies, & shell holder (make & number) your using along with what company brass your using for the 7.35 Carcano.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7.35 ital.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	231794  

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 01:24 PM

That's it, same info I photoed today.

Lee also has a listing for it, more bullet weights but the above is a great start.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 09:56 AM

From the Hornady manual. Graff and Sons has the Privi Brass on clearance Sale now! They also have the Hornady projectiles!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7.35carcano.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	855.0 KB
ID:	231894  

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 01:20 AM Thread Starter

mikef79, 30calflash, & czvz - That's what I was looking for. Thanks a bunch guys!

czvz - I added a question to your reply, regarding case trimming in the military rifles section. https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/51-mil...5-carcano.html
if anyone can help. Please pipe up. Thanks again guys.

"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

A statement of fact: H&R Huntsman & Sidekick blued barrels are made of 4140 steel.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikef79 View Post
in case 7.35 italian is same as carcano
Which company manual is this loading information from?

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by czvz View Post
From the Hornady manual. Graff and Sons has the Privi Brass on clearance Sale now! They also have the Hornady projectiles!
Does the Hornady handbook you have, state the trim to length also as 2.00" with a maximum case length of 2.01", as stated in the load page that "mikef79" posted?

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 03:47 PM

Here is the Cover page for the 7.35 Carcano from Hornady. I have not at this point, shot or experimented reloading for this gun extesively. I have used IMR 3031, and IMR 4064. 35.5 grains of IMR 3031 seemed to be the best groups for my gun so far. Providing reasonable "Minute of White Tail" groups @ 50 Meters, my personal limit for Ironsight hunting....58 year old eyes don't work very good anymore. But again, further experimenting I feel could tighten the groups up more. COL =2.850"/no crimp. Looking back at my log I did shoot a 1.9", 6 shot group @ 75 yards! Ö.Once, with this load. As far as trimming I have not shot enough brass that warrant trimming, so I cant help you there. Perhaps you could use a 7MM pilot and put a wrap or two of tape/heatshrink/of aluminum furnace duct tape on it , realize its kinda redneck but I think it would suffice.

CZVZ
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	carcano 2.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	231948  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page