Graybeard Outdoors banner

A new Lee Classic Loader

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  dand 
#1 ·
Here I am, 74 years old and I just bought my first press that wasn't a single stage. :tango_face_smile_bi

Not seeing the point of a progressive press I opted for a turret. And after reading posts here and not wanting to spend a fortune, I went with a Lee Classic. CW ol' son, you just got to forgive me for that! :tango_face_wink:

I got it all set up for .380, 45 ACP and 38 Spl. I didn't include 9mm 'cause them bullets is just to cheap to worry about reloadin'.

After setting it up and playing with it for a bit, I still don't know if it will be any faster than a single stage press. About the only difference is you don't have to set up dies for each step.

Oh well... it's something different! :tango_face_grin:

#2 ·
I have way too much reloading equipment. This might be my favorite press. Probably the most versatile press I have ever used, and without a doubt the best bang for the buck.

#4 ·
I have way too much reloading equipment.
a half dozen different presses including more than a pair of single stage, a pair of turrets, a modified to Progressive single stage, and peripherals (powder measures, bench primer, and lube-sizer).
After rearranging my reloading area I ended up with two single stage presses stored in a corner of the bench. I'll probably set up one, the Rockchucker Jr., close to my main (Rockchucker) press. That way I can use the two presses in combination with my case prep station. The way I see it, so doing will give me a multi-press version of a progressive press. :tango_face_grin:

And I finally felt the need to set up my powder measure! Close to the turret for of course. I'll still weigh each charge for my rifle cartridge reloading.

Ranch Dog TF358-100 RF) projectiles shoot GREAT.

Often, the spent case scrounge in me spends MORE TIME locating errant cases than time spent making them.
I'll look that mold up. I just got 500 90gr. coated 380 bullets to try out. Not having a lube sizer I didn't want to get into that part of casting. Hi-ebber, and day is always a hi-ebber, I did get ready to try some powder coating! :tango_face_grin:

I've decided I'll do all my ACP shooting at my gun club. That way, when I finish shooting I just rake up all the brass and dump it in my range bag. I lose some, but I've cut my search time way down! :tango_face_wink:

Although I am accumulating quite a bit of 9mm brass that way...

#3 ·
When I was letting the Good Times Roll, I would find different presses (and Handi-rifles, and handguns, and gun owner estates, and their machines, and components, I could go on...) for sale at favorable pricing. My bench was modified by the Pat Marlin RockDock system to accept any one of (now) a half dozen different presses including more than a pair of single stage, a pair of turrets, a modified to Progressive single stage, and peripherals (powder measures, bench primer, and lube-sizer). I believe I have enough machines to sink an Aircraft Carrier. Fish or cut bait...

The 380 ACP is only 0.189" shorter (COL) than the 9mm, both shoot the same projectile - if you are so inclined, and cast (6 cavity, 104 gr. [my alloy], Ranch Dog TF358-100 RF) projectiles shoot GREAT. I don't load 9mm, cause I don't have a handgun in that caliber, but I do feed a pair of Walther PPK in 380 ACP. They are SO MUCH FUN to shoot at hardened steel plow disks with that distinctive "ping" when consistently struck. The medium to soft cast lead (BHN ~13) vaporizes on impact too, so turning the soil to glass may someday be required to recover the lead. Often, the spent case scrounge in me spends MORE TIME locating errant cases than time spent making them.

Shoot 'em till you're happy!

#5 ·
I got a Lee turret mebbe 29-30 years ago. I disabled the auto index when I was setting it up (it was indexing when I didn't want it to) and hand indexed. I hand indexed that press, not using it "semi-progressive" until 2 years ago when I got a Co-Ax. The hand indexing fit my reloading style perfectly; I batch load and I have no need to hurry nor do I have a quota. I'll insert a case, do a step, index, do another step, then turn the turret back to step one and do another case (I usually have a few hundred primed and ready to finish cases stored waiting for powder and a bullet). I reloaded many thousand 9mm, 38/357, 44 Sp. & Mag., 45 ACP 45 Colt, .223, 30-06, 308, 7.62x54r, 303 British and a few hundred 7.62x39, all hand indexing...

For me and my reloading style the Lee turret, even the old aluminum base model, is an excellent press...

#7 ·
In the Queen's English this once common Ebonics phrase translates to "However, and one must remember that in most assertions there is an exception to be found, ... ."

i.e. Not having a lube sizer I didn't want to get into that part of casting. However, and one must remember that in most assertions there is an exception to be found, I did get ready to try some powder coating!

#13 ·
atlaw if you use the auto-index, get powder thru expander dies and mount a Lee Pro-Auto disk you can load pretty quick.
I have a Lyman turret and use the above items. I prep and prime my cases first then fill, seat, and Factory crimp while rotating my turret back n forth in what i call semi-progressive.
I have looked n looked at the Lee Classic Turret but don't do quite enough loading to justify switching presses. But it sure seems like an excellent one if a person is just starting out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.