Loading 357max for the first time. - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 08:01 PM

We need to make them aware that the bullet could be used in the Legend!!

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. and the THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Sent back the "new style" hornday 180 gr xtp's. Picked up a box of speer 180 gr hot core .358 bullets. Being that they are a more robust bullet i would like to send them down range at as high speed as possible to safly shoot in an encore with a 24" mgm barrel. Of course they will need to be tested for accuracy. A screaming fast bullet does no good if you cant hit the target. I am working with w296 and aa1680 and have federal small rifle primers and cci small rifle magnum primers.
Should i expect. 296 or 1680 to give the highest fps? What kind of max charge i should work up to with these powders? If anyone does not want to share load data on public forum please feel free to pm me.

"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 10:22 PM

my vote goes to 1680

see page 27 of the Western Powder Loading Manual for details:
http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-con....0-Web-REV.pdf

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
my vote goes to 1680

see page 27 of the Western Powder Loading Manual for details:
http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-con....0-Web-REV.pdf.
Agreed its a good source.

I like 296 allot. But dont use anything but 1680 cause nothing comes close to its preformance for me.

Just last night I built a box using it in the 350 Legend and a 150g bullet.

Id start 24 ish grains and work Up Slow. I would also Seat the bullet as long as you can for powder cap. I have been using cast for some time now and REALLY like the 180 & 190 Ranch Dog bullets at 17-1800 fps. 4227 and RL7 both deliver that with excellent accuracy.

My old maxi load was 26.5g and a 180 ssp. My newer maxi would take More but shot the 26.5 very well vel was 2100 when it was FL bbl. its 17” now so vel is less. But I now have a 24” Maxi in a Savage 24 and it steps right along with that loading. Dozens of deer have fallen to it and not one complaint.

Yes that Speer is a tough bullet but it will work at 2K and up. Its good on bones too! Where the ol ssp would break up on them.

Good luck,

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. and the THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 08:21 AM

I've been told that you cant get enough 1680 in a 357 Max case to cause excessive pressure. I've never seen excessive pressure with 1680 because I've always found an accurate load before reaching that point.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the good info guys. I have a few more questions if you don't mind.

1:Accurate load data suggests a starting load of 27 gr of 1680 and max of 30 grains for the 180 gr ssp. (Tc only data) Is this too much for the speer hot cor 180 gr bullet?

2:Anyone have suggestions on a c.o.a.l for the 180 gr hot cor? I found one reference to coal for this bullet provided by mgm on there web site. They have the loaded at 2.205" does that sound in the ball park?

3: would federal 205 small rifle primers or cci 450 small magnum rifle primers be the best spark plug for 1680?

Looks like the weekend is going to be cold and wet in my area so i will probably try working up some loads to stay out of the rain. I have some. Loaded up already with w296 and hornady 158 gr fp xtp i would like to get out and chronograph if the weather works with me. Fingers crossed. I also have a new ruger 450 bushmaster i would like to sight in. And i want to put some rounds threw my marlin 45/70 also. My shoulder is gonna be hurtin when this is over. Lol

Last edited by jtracy1223; 10-11-2019 at 12:34 PM.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 04:17 PM

My advice is seat bullet as long as your chanber allows (Keeping a “caliber” in the neck.

As for speed, PUSH IT AS FAST AS ACCURACY ALLOWS! The lil maximum CANNOT outrun this bullet... EVER.

CW

NRA LIFE Member

GOD BLESS AMERICA

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtracy1223 View Post
Thanks for the good info guys. I have a few more questions if you don't mind.

1:Accurate load data suggests a starting load of 27 gr of 1680 and max of 30 grains for the 180 gr ssp. (Tc only data) Is this too much for the speer hot cor 180 gr bullet?

2:Anyone have suggestions on a c.o.a.l for the 180 gr hot cor? I found one reference to coal for this bullet provided by mgm on there web site. They have the loaded at 2.205" does that sound in the ball park?

3: would federal 205 small rifle primers or cci 450 small magnum rifle primers be the best spark plug for 1680?

Looks like the weekend is going to be cold and wet in my area so i will probably try working up some loads to stay out of the rain. I have some. Loaded up already with w296 and hornady 158 gr fp xtp i would like to get out and chronograph if the weather works with me. Fingers crossed. I also have a new ruger 450 bushmaster i would like to sight in. And i want to put some rounds threw my marlin 45/70 also. My shoulder is gonna be hurtin when this is over. Lol
27 gr of AA1680 sounds like a good starting load. Less than that gave me sooty cases and poor accuracy.

FWIW, I have not been able to find an "accurate" load for the Speer 180 gr Flat Point. I've been using the 180 gr. XTP. Max load is 28.3 according to Accurate load data for the XTP.

Standard rifle primers are ok. Start there. Experiment wirh others if you think you need to but that shouldn't be necessary.

Have fun and let us know how you are doing.

Use the cannelure/ crimp groove for your loads and crimp for best accuracy, imo.

I have found better accuracy with MP300 but there is no load data published for the.357 maximum so I started with Alliant's .357 magnum load data and worked up in .5 gr increments.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150703_192624.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	745.7 KB
ID:	235122  

All of my favorite creatures have white bottoms.

Last edited by Lt. Dave; 10-11-2019 at 06:40 PM.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 02:33 AM Thread Starter

Worked up some loads over the weekend and managed to get a little time at the range. Worked from 25 grains up to 28 grains of 1680 under speer 180 gr hcfn with cci 450 primers in remington brass. Did not shoot for groups just wanted to get an average volocity. I can post all my chrono readings if anyone is interested but for now i will say 28 grains got me to 2150fps give or take with a spread of 22 fps. No signs of over presser. Im going to work up to 30 a half grain at a time and shoot for groups. If the groups are acceptable in that range i will stick somewhere in the 28-30 gr range.

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

29 grains of 1680 is about all that will fit in the Remington case with the 180 grain hot cor fp if you want to crimp at the cannelure. Im sure you could probably compress more in there but at this point it's starting to smush the lead tip of the bullet. Lucky for me this load makes a nice tight 5 shot group at 100 yards and gives me an average of 2215 fps and all 5 shots were within 10fps of one another. I think this will be my deer load.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page