Loading 357max for the first time. - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Default Loading 357max for the first time.

I did some trading around and ended up with a 24" mgm 357 max encore barrel and 200 rounds factory remington 357 max ammo ( 150 for the 158 gr jsp and 50 rounds of 180 gr jsp) and about 150 pieces of R&P 357 max brass.

Not sure how stout the factory remington ammo is loaded. Can't find much info on it other than it hasn't been made in a long time and i was lucky to find some. I will run some over the chronograph when i get time.

I wanted to roll some of my own with the r&p brass.
I thought i had some 180gr xtp left over but i must have used them all up in my 357 mag hunting rounds. I ended up digging up a half a box of 158 gr. xtp flat point. I loaded them over w296 starting at 22 grains and going up a grain at a time to 25 grains. I used federal 205 small rifle primers and loaded to a oal of 1.888" (top of the cannelure) Loaded 5 rounds of each. And finished them with a firm roll crimp. Waiting for it to stop raining so i can test accurate and run them over the chronograph. The 25 grain load was over the hodgdon max of 24 grains but i think this should still be a safe load from my encore. I have seen people go higher with no problems.

"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."

Last edited by jtracy1223; 09-22-2019 at 10:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 12:08 PM

As you likly know about any 357/358 bullet can be used.
But know that the plated variety generally list about 1300 fps as max.

If you wanting big game bullets. That xtp FP is a good one BUT, the Maxi can push it TOO FAST so you wanna throttle it back to about 2000 impact velocity max.

The ol 180 SSP was a good one but even it was a tad fragile on bones at max vel Up Close.

The 180 xtp hp is a good one but same story bot push to the 2200 you likely will be able too.

Speer 180 is tough, push as hard as your comfortable with. Many have used it past 2600 with good success.

The 200 FTX is a option too. Its fragile for a 200, but you cant get it going too fast in the maxi so push as hard as you like.

The 200 RN made for the 35 Rem works well if thats appealing profile. Dont think twice about its RN. You cannot shoot far enough with the maxi to see appreciable benefits from a pointy boolit.

The maxi is a dandy close med game caliber. It responds well To cast too if that's what you do. I have a 230 RD bullet that i have reached 1700 fps in a 24” Bbl so you should be able To as well.

As for powders many work. A few work really well. For Many folks, self included, powders begin and end with AA1680.

I have been killin deer hogs with the Maxi since the 1980’s and with a Savage 24 in 357 Max I bought this summer that string is gonna get longer.

Good luck and have fun.

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. and the THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

Hey cwlongshot. Thanks. Quick question. I had ordered 2 boxes of hornady 180 grain xtp to start with. They were in the mail today and come to find out they have been changed. They no longer have 2 cannelures and the recommended muzzle volocity printed on the box was 700-1500 fps. I called hornady and the rep told me they changed the bullet to a single cannelure back in 2018 but all other specs were the same. I had on old box of the ones with 2 cannelure and i thought i remember the max muzzle volocity on them being something like 1700 or 1800 fps but i can't confirm that.

Last edited by jtracy1223; 10-01-2019 at 12:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 06:35 AM

Here ya go!

You you are correct. They USED TO BE, classified as faster.

You will need to test to confirm. But Im sure just the canalure makes a difference.

Glad I have old stock!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1569922502301.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	888.1 KB
ID:	234688  

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. and the THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Thank you so much. The rep at hornady lied strait to me. I asked him about the max muzzle volocity and he said "the only thing that has changed is the cannelure. Everything eles is the exact same"

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 12:19 AM
SEM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtracy1223 View Post
Thank you so much. The rep at hornady lied strait to me. I asked him about the max muzzle volocity and he said "the only thing that has changed is the cannelure. Everything eles is the exact same"

Just remember when asking a rep about their products, They only get paid if they sell them.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 10:20 AM

They also answer the phones and direct calls... If they where higher up the chain, they would be the ones the calls where directed to.

Nothing against the phone folks. But like I would direct medical questions to the receptionist at the doctors office...

The bullet COULD BE exactly the same sans that cannelure. That cannelure WILL impart more structural integrity.
Look at Hornady literature about bullets form decades ago... They spelled it out. Physics like this do not change.

BEST advice I can give is to set up a d test for yourself. Hopefully you have some old ones to compair.

CW

CW

NRA LIFE Member

GOD BLESS AMERICA

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 11:24 AM

For a hunting bullet I think the Speer 180 (#2435) is a much better choice for just a couple bucks more.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neckisred View Post
For a hunting bullet I think the Speer 180 (#2435) is a much better choice for just a couple bucks more.
. It IS A GOOD ONE!!

Not that Id call it superior. U less you have to shoot bones up close then yes its a much tougher bullet.
The 180 XTP is proven its worth in the maximum over the years.

These changes might alter that. Time will tell.

CW

NRA LIFE Member

GOD BLESS AMERICA

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 01:33 PM

Kinda sours me that Hornady jumped right on the 350 Legend band wagon, yet they wont produce the 180 SSPB

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page