Graybeard Outdoors banner

Carbine vs pistol powder?

859 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  RaySendero 
#1 ·
Recently purchased a 9mm carbine. In the past I developed a plinking load for my 9mm pistols using Titegroup powder.
I’ve fired some through the carbine and they cycle fine. I haven’t done any target shooting yet other than to do a quick sight in after mounting a red dot.
I haven’t shot any over the chronograph but thought I’d pick some brains here. Would there be any advantages to going with a slower powder in the carbine length barrel?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#2 ·
I don't own a 9mm carbine, but I use my Shield, my PPS M2, etc for a falling plates shoot at my gun club, and have settled on Alliant Bullseye 4.0 grs, with a Extreme 125gr, and a WW small pistol primer.

I find it accurate in all my 9mm, not a single cycling problem, about the best I've come accross. I did try Titegroup in my 9's and the wife's .380, but the Bullseye did it better for me.

#4 ·
Yes, the slowest powder listed for the given cartridge will typically give better velocity in the carbine, if that is what you are looking for. It has more time to build pressure before the bullet exits the barrel.

Rosewood

Yes Rosewood is correct a "slower" powder should give a higher velocity in a carbine.
Look for a powder that will produces max velocity at 100% case fill.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.