Cup, and Core bullets Vs. Solids. Use same Data? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Default Cup, and Core bullets Vs. Solids. Use same Data?

Wanting to try using solid bullets from Lehigh Defense, and it occurs to me that load data for each type may be different. Loading for .338 Lapua mag. 250 Grain, I have been using SMK's but wanted to try something different. Anyone experienced with solids, would like to hear from you about loading them. (I do know they are longer)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Live - Cocoa, FL; Hunt - Mims, FL; Lk. Poincette, FL; Union, SC
Gun Cabinet
Send a message via Skype™ to land_owner

I cannot speak specifically to solids. I have used the Powder Mfg's tables for similar weight bullets, starting at their lowest published range, then worked up a new bullet load from there. Perhaps Lehigh or other solid bullet (or powder) manufacturer already has some starting loads on line...idk. What is an "SMK"? Which powder(s) would be helpful too...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for responding, "SMK" refers to the Sierra Match King bullet which I've been using in 250 Gn. for many years. My original concern was that a solid being a monolithic all gilding metal bullet will be a bit harder to deform as it enters the rifling, and that there would be pressure issues due to the hardness. I have consulted several powder, and bullet makers data, but found little to go on except perhaps to go light on the charge, and work up carefully. I had wanted to use powders I already have, but decided to order a powder that Lehigh used in their Data, Accurate's MagPro . I'm having to do this work only because hodgdon's Retumbo, and H-1000 are not available just now . If I have to work up new loads, I might as well try some different bullets, and see if I can improve performance . I bought the Lehigh match solids, and some Lapua Scenar to see what they have to offer. The Mag Pro powder will work with about anyone's bullet. (assuming their lengths don't pose troubles. )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 05:43 PM
Administrator

Gun Cabinet

As a general rule you DO NOT use same data for homogeneous bullets as you do for cup and core bullets. Since Barnes added the relief cuts and started calling them TSX and tipped TSX they can for the most part use same data but not necessarily.

Cup and core bullets are shorter for a given weight than a homogeneous bullet of same weight. That impinges on the powder capacity of the case so generally less powder space means less powder must be used if you want pressures to stay the same.

Even with cup and core bullets not all are created equal and thus not all use same data.

My practice and my recommendation to you and all is to have the reload manuals for all bullet makers you plan to use and also all manuals from all powder makers whose powder you will be using. In addition to that I have the Lyman manuals as well. Yeah I have a LOT of load manuals on my loading bench.

Bill aka the Graybeard

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

JESUS is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 10:40 PM

Bill's advice is top notch and you should pay heed. Get the bullet mfg. data and powder recommended for your loads and start at the beginning. There are not any shortcuts in reloading.

Ken

NRA Life Member
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Howdy Mr. Graybeard, it was nice to find your response. After finding little helpful information on the subject, I did just spend the money on the powder used by the bullet maker, and used their load Data. Just finished assembling the ladder test. hoping for one nice Day next week to run them. Lehigh Data shows both Accurate Mag Pro, and Accurate Ramshot Magnum in their Data. Despite being longer than cup ,and core bullets, they pose no problems in chambering. Good thing is, the Mag Pro will work nicely with most other maker's bullets, so it will be a nice replacement for the now missing in action Retumbo.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Sr. Sawyer, Always listen to good advice, especially in loading. I'm not one to color outside the lines in loading, especially with the high pressure cartridge in question. I spent a few weeks soliciting information in various Fora, and other sources before I decided to purchase, and use the makers listed powders. After 45 yrs of loading I'm always cautious, and detail oriented.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 12:41 AM

Your time loading rivals mine. Funny you talking about solids vs. cup and core because I am looking for a solid bullet in the .243 for my grandson's rifle. The old bullets for the 243 just do not cut it and that is from raising two boys shooting this caliber. It was a good season when they moved to the 7mm rifles and almost ended my late night tracking.
Luck with your endeavor.

Ken

NRA Life Member
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr sawyer View Post
Your time loading rivals mine. Funny you talking about solids vs. cup and core because I am looking for a solid bullet in the .243 for my grandson's rifle. The old bullets for the 243 just do not cut it and that is from raising two boys shooting this caliber. It was a good season when they moved to the 7mm rifles and almost ended my late night tracking.
Luck with your endeavor.

Ken
Thank you Mr. Ken, The only solids I have looked at are from either Lehigh defense, or Barnes. Lehigh has 3 offerings in 243, from 57 gn. to 85gn. Not sure if Barnes produces product in .243 Enjoy the Season, smile every day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page