.32 S & W Bullets tumbling, unstable - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Default .32 S & W Bullets tumbling, unstable

I loaded 79 grain lead round nose bullets in .32 Smith & Wesson cases with 1.32 grains of Bullseye. Shot out of a Iver Johnson revolver with a two and a half inch barrel, the bullets are not very accurate, and enter the target sideways at 7 yards. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 01:14 PM
mdi

Since no one has answered, I'll give it a try. Bullets that "tumble" are unstable in flight. Several reasons for bullet instability, but most often is bullet to barrel fit. Slug the barrel and measure the diameter of the cylinder throats. Throats need to be larger in diameter than the groove diameter of the barrel. Cast bullets should be no smaller in diameter than the cylinder throat diameter. Condition of the gun is also a consideration. Is the barrel worn? Is the rifling sharp? General overall condition of the gun?

Perhaps you can find the original factory load for that caliber, bullet size, shape and weight and approx velocity and duplicate that load. How old is the gun? 32 S&W Short? 32 S&W Long?

I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 01:19 PM

Sounds reasonable, I don't know about the 32 but the 38 S&W was a slightly larger diameter than the 38 Special and is a bullet that is hard to find in the .362 diameter, or whatever it is supposed to be.

Come quickly, Lord Jesus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 01:35 PM
mdi

Found this, I believe it's from a Lyman 44th Edition manual.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	32_load_data.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	319.9 KB
ID:	236678  

I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdi View Post
Since no one has answered, I'll give it a try. Bullets that "tumble" are unstable in flight. Several reasons for bullet instability, but most often is bullet to barrel fit. Slug the barrel and measure the diameter of the cylinder throats. Throats need to be larger in diameter than the groove diameter of the barrel. Cast bullets should be no smaller in diameter than the cylinder throat diameter. Condition of the gun is also a consideration. Is the barrel worn? Is the rifling sharp? General overall condition of the gun?

Perhaps you can find the original factory load for that caliber, bullet size, shape and weight and approx velocity and duplicate that load. How old is the gun? 32 S&W Short? 32 S&W Long?
The rifling is there, some pitting, but I don't think that's the issue. The gun was made about 1890. The original load was .32 S & W (short) blackpowder load. I would rather not use blackpowder. I will check the fit as suggested.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=mdi;2055973162]Since no one has answered, I'll give it a try. Bullets that "tumble" are unstable in flight. Several reasons for bullet instability, but most often is bullet to barrel fit. Slug the barrel and measure the diameter of the cylinder throats. Throats need to be larger in diameter than the groove diameter of the barrel. Cast bullets should be no smaller in diameter than the cylinder throat diameter. Condition of the gun is also a consideration. Is the barrel worn? Is the rifling sharp? General overall condition of the gun?

The cylinder throats are 0.330", groove diam, is 0.309"-0.310", bore diam. is 0.304"-0.305", bullet diam, is 0.312".
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7290.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	236774  

Name:	IMG_7285.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	236776  

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Default Getting strange, vented muzzle crown?

While I am taking photos of the muzzle, I notice some nicks in the grooves at the muzzle. So I figure maybe I will recrown the muzzle using a brass screw head. I examine the muzzle closer and discover that each groove, at the muzzle, has a vee shaped notch in it, exactly at the center of the groove, extending down the rifling, maybe 0.020". Since each groove has an identical notch, it appears they were made on purpose. Has anyone ever experienced these such notches and can explain what they might be and the purpose?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	346arrow.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	598.5 KB
ID:	236790  

Name:	444arrow.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	593.9 KB
ID:	236792  

Name:	20191122_170346.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	598.5 KB
ID:	236794  

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 11:00 PM

If those nicks extend straight down the barrel instead of following the rifling, they could serve to destroy the accuracy.

2120-September 1, 1945
To: D A MacArthur /C H Nimitz
Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional , illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of cr*p by the clean end!

Now, with special thanks to the Truman Museum and Harry himself, you and I finally have a full understanding of what "POLITICAL CORRECTNESS" really means.....
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
If those nicks extend straight down the barrel instead of following the rifling, they could serve to destroy the accuracy.
The notches don't go down the length of the bore . They only go down about 0.020". They are very precise and identical in each groove of the rifling.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 07:50 PM

you cant make chicken salad out of chicken poop. its a belly gun and never be more than that. have fun shooting it. would be a fun gun to teach some kids and have some laughs. regards, richard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page